Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Right behind you!

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    60
    Real Name
    Lexie

    Right behind you!

    Hi everyone,

    I have to create some pictures using photoshop for an assignment. It's not something I enjoy doing because I feel that photoshop should be used to enhance what was actually taken rather than create digital art (and I have had some rather grumpy discussions with my course tutor about this, it is a photography course after all, not an art course!!).

    Anyway, here is one idea that I had - the original pictures are just snapshots compared to some of the bike pictures I've seen on here but I have been up to some creative mischief with them - all comments greatly appreciated.

    Right behind you!

    Thanks
    Lexie

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    3,542
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: Right behind you!

    This lacks atmospheric depth. Basically, in a real world situation with three different riders in the same frame, the one closest would be quite sharp and contain more contrast and color saturation than those following. There would also be quite a bit of dust obscuring the details of the following riders.

    This can be "faked" using a series of layer plates utilizing some exisiting (or ones of your own making), noise layers carefully blended from one layer to the next. There should be a thread on here showing you how to "paint" with light.

  3. #3
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,234
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Right behind you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexie in NZ View Post
    I have to create some pictures using photoshop for an assignment. It's not something I enjoy doing because I feel that photoshop should be used to enhance what was actually taken rather than create digital art
    I know, but think of it as equipping yourself with the skills that you will then be able to apply in pursuit of your own vision. You won't need to go to this extent of post-processing if you choose not to, but you will have the skills to use things learned to achieve what you want to create.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexie in NZ View Post
    Anyway, here is one idea that I had - the original pictures are just snapshots
    Maybe, but the skill then lies in taking them and turning them into something that demonstrates creativity and technical skill. And, to my eye, you've done that. Now, of course I don't know the precise remit for the task set. But if the assignment allows you to use existing images to create a different image that clearly required significant use of Photoshop in the creative process (and is not purely about non-photographic, graphic artistry), then I would have thought this one is a strong candidate.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    60
    Real Name
    Lexie

    Re: Right behind you!

    Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    This lacks atmospheric depth. Basically, in a real world situation with three different riders in the same frame, the one closest would be quite sharp and contain more contrast and color saturation than those following. There would also be quite a bit of dust obscuring the details of the following riders.

    This can be "faked" using a series of layer plates utilizing some exisiting (or ones of your own making), noise layers carefully blended from one layer to the next. There should be a thread on here showing you how to "paint" with light.
    thanks Chris,
    each of the bikes is on a separate layer in the composite - I will play with the saturation and contrast of the foreground rider to see if I can make it stand out more and give the image more depth. There was not a lot of dust on the track and what little there was was blown away by the howling norwest gale that was blowing that day

    Lexie

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    60
    Real Name
    Lexie

    Re: Right behind you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I know, but think of it as equipping yourself with the skills that you will then be able to apply in pursuit of your own vision. You won't need to go to this extent of post-processing if you choose not to, but you will have the skills to use things learned to achieve what you want to create.
    thanks Donald - that's pretty much what my course tutor said too I think the basic skills that I really want to learn and be able to apply to my own work are probably considered too straight forward for the level of this course (Diploma) - only two of the assignments (worth 10% of the overall course) have been related to manipulation in the RAW window and non-destructive editing, all the rest are very graphic design/digital art biased, which is not what I signed up for at all

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Maybe, but the skill then lies in taking them and turning them into something that demonstrates creativity and technical skill. And, to my eye, you've done that. Now, of course I don't know the precise remit for the task set. But if the assignment allows you to use existing images to create a different image that clearly required significant use of Photoshop in the creative process (and is not purely about non-photographic, graphic artistry), then I would have thought this one is a strong candidate.
    This is an idea that I had for the final portfolio (worth 30% of the total). I need to get confirmation from the tutor exactly what they will accept - examples from previous students have all been composite pictures, some very clever work but certainly to my mind it is digital art and not photgraphy. I have to submit 8 - 12 pictures for the portfolio, all relating to each other and showing variations on a theme, telling a story or showing the evolution of an idea. I would love to be able to submit pictures that show how my confidence and skill with photoshop has grown over the past 15 weeks, but I don't think they'll go for that one!! - waiting for feedback on my ideas. I don't really want to simply do 8 - 12 pictures that show the same techniques in action, to my way of thinking that is not really showing the full range of skills that I have learned during the course (can you tell I'm a teacher, it's hard work being on the other side of the desk too )

    thanks for your feedback,

    Lexie
    Last edited by Donald; 27th October 2011 at 12:11 PM.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    70
    Real Name
    Tom

    Re: Right behind you!

    I would like to see more colour in the sky aswell I think. It would probably help the foreground colors pop a bit more. Cool idea

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    60
    Real Name
    Lexie

    Re: Right behind you!

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGladstone View Post
    I would like to see more colour in the sky aswell I think. It would probably help the foreground colors pop a bit more. Cool idea
    thanks Tom,
    I will add that to the list of "tweaks" that the picture needs.

    Lexie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •