Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First posting, some people

Real Name
    David

First posting, some people

Hello, Just joined and so I'm tentatively uploading a few shots hoping for constructive comments. Very much an enthusiastic amateur with hopes of improving. Dipping my toe into photoshop, but most of my post-shot work is done from the RAW file via Olympus Masters 2. The camera I use is an Olympus E510, usually with a 14-42mm zoom lens.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: First posting, some people

Hi David,

Welcome to CiC.

First and last shots are really nice. What are you doing to sharpen these btw, as they seem a bit "soft".

Real Name
    David

Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply. The both shots you like were taken from the "hip" as it were and taken as seen. The post production work I carry out usually concentrates on the tone and contrast; therefore I don't sharpen the photos. Keen to learn new techniques and I'll be posting other shots.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Mark, that's a great capture in the first shot! The guy is standing on one foot!

I have never understood tattoos or body piercing. Particularly for gals, I would think that if you were beautiful, it wouldn't be needed and if you weren't, it wouldn't help.

Real Name
    Richard

Congratulations... You have made a step which a large percentage of photographers are afraid of - shooting people. IMO, people are very interesting subjects and once you conquer the normal apprehension are not scary at all to shoot.

Real Name
    David

Thanks Frank and Richard. Yes I enjoy shooting people and quite often will approach people and ask to take their photos. My cover story is that I'm a student who's course covers photography and I'm building up a portfolio. This approach is usually successful, so I have managed to amass a good collection of street photos. At other times I will go down the candid road and see what transpires. Frank be prepared for more "confusion" as one of my favourite subjects is tattoos/piercings, especially gals.

Nice to get into the community. david