Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Domestic violence

Real Name
    António Correia

Domestic violence

I was invited to participate in an exposition to be held in Lisbon subjected to the theme mentioned above.

Herewith the image I came up with. Care for a comment if you please ?

Domestic violence

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Domestic violence

Antonio,

A very cleverly thought out composition, beautifully executed with your usual style. What more can I say. Well done, certainly thought provoking..... Love the inclusion of the motion blur. Tells the story so well.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Antonio,

A very cleverly thought out composition, beautifully executed with your usual style. What more can I say. Well done, certainly thought provoking..... Love the inclusion of the motion blur. Tells the story so well.
    Thank you Ian.

Credits must also go to my wife who helped me and had the main idea. We both acted as actors...

We have made other photos in different positions but this one is the best. We started standing. However, I am not quite - quite - pleased.

I would rather the perspective of the corridor (towards the kitchen, as we can see also the dish washer machine) to be a little more down, more inside the 1/3 if I make myself understand
    I just did it but I am missing image even making a titter crop.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Antonio,

I looks good to me - great "thinking outside the square"!

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Antonio,

I looks good to me - great "thinking outside the square"!

rob marshall

Antonio

As one who comes from a childhood background of domestic violence I can empathize fully with what is going on in the image. I suppose that just goes to show that photography means more than just what it portrays when there is some personal association with the events depicted. Well done.

rob

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Antonio

As one who comes from a childhood background of domestic violence I can empathize fully with what is going on in the image. I suppose that just goes to show that photography means more than just what it portrays when there is some personal association with the events depicted. Well done.

rob
    Thank you Rob.
    I would like to do some more under the theme.
    My wife and myself have so far two ideas. We have to move on and do them some day.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Antonio,

This is good, as others have said better than I can (without repeating their words).

I did give it some thought, but I can't think of anything to improve it.

I would rather the perspective of the corridor (towards the kitchen, as we can see also the dish washer machine) to be a little more down, more inside the 1/3 if I make myself understood
    Do you mean you wanted a higher camera position in order to shoot looking down slightly more?

I actually think it is more powerful as it is, the eyeline of the camera is about child height.

Looking forward to the next idea,

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Antonio,

This is good, as others have said better than I can (without repeating their words).

I did give it some thought, but I can't think of anything to improve it.

Do you mean you wanted a higher camera position in order to shoot looking down slightly more?

I actually think it is more powerful as it is, the eyeline of the camera is about child height.

Looking forward to the next idea,
    It was deliberated the height of the camera. Low, to emphasise how dramatic is the scene.
    I was just meaning that the 1/3 should be more precisely at where the action is. But it is not bad this way, no.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Wow! I do find this subject matter somewhat disturbing but also evocative. In developing an image in this regard, it would be easy to create something overly disturbing and emotionally asymmetrical. When this subject comes up most think of a man being violent toward a woman or child. You have struck an equitable cord with this image. Perhaps it is choice or chance. Perhaps a reversal of fortune or revenge. Perhaps you have seen one, the other, or both. I think you have walked an original line artistically and from a photographic standpoint. Tough subject but you have handled it well.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    Wow! I do find this subject matter somewhat disturbing but also evocative. In developing an image in this regard, it would be easy to create something overly disturbing and emotionally asymmetrical. When this subject comes up most think of a man being violent toward a woman or child. You have struck an equitable cord with this image. Perhaps it is choice or chance. Perhaps a reversal of fortune or revenge. Perhaps you have seen one, the other, or both. I think you have walked an original line artistically and from a photographic standpoint. Tough subject but you have handled it well.
    Thank you Scott for your comments.
    Myself I have never been abused in any way or matter.
    The idea was this one since the beginning as we have other versions to implement

Hi Antonio
    this is a so powerfull shot!
    looking forward to your next work on the theme!
    have you tried to capture the scene from behind a plant, a barely opened door or something similar? (I mean from all the places where a child usually is hidden during that bad moments)

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    Hi Antonio
    this is a so powerfull shot!
    looking forward to your next work on the theme!
    have you tried to capture the scene from behind a plant, a barely opened door or something similar? (I mean from all the places where a child usually is hidden during that bad moments)
    Thank you Nicola for the tip.
    It is something to explore indeed.
    I do have plans for two shots but it is going to take some time now...

Real Name
    António Correia

I have implemented a more sophisticated version, darker and with a line separating the images.

Domestic violence

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Antonio, thank you for posting this image. It is very evocative. Like Rob, I also came from an abusive childhood and then there was spousal abuse. It created for me a very powerful reaction.

Marie

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    Antonio, thank you for posting this image. It is very evocative. Like Rob, I also came from an abusive childhood and then there was spousal abuse. It created for me a very powerful reaction. Marie
    Thank you Marie Hass for your comment.

My wife and myself we are working on new conceptual ideas about this subject. I hope to be able to post other images stronger or as strong as this one.