Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera bag for my EOS 60D

Real Name
    Fitz

Camera bag for my EOS 60D

I have a Canon EOS 60D and trying to decide on the best camera bag to get. I have been carrying my kit around in my Sony camcorder bag, but it is a bit cramped.

In addition to the EF-S 18-135 mm lens kit that cames with the camera, I also have the EF 70-300mm lens, and lens hoods for both. Will eventually get an external flash kit, but not at that stage yet. Nevertheless, would not want to have to buy a new bag when I get the additional kit.

Any suggestions of what bag would be best?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Camera bag for my EOS 60D

Quote Originally Posted by Kayef View Post
    I have a Canon EOS 60D and trying to decide on the best camera bag to get. I have been carrying my kit around in my Sony camcorder bag, but it is a bit cramped.

In addition to the EF-S 18-135 mm lens kit that cames with the camera, I also have the EF 70-300mm lens, and lens hoods for both. Will eventually get an external flash kit, but not at that stage yet. Nevertheless, would not want to have to buy a new bag when I get the additional kit.

Any suggestions of what bag would be best?
    Hello and welcome to CiC. Great to have you on here.

Excuse me asking, but is Kayef your real name. If so, great. If not, you've maybe seen that most of us tend to use our real names on here. It makes communication more friendly and CiC is that sort of site. Did you know you can go to Edit Profile and enter your proper name under 'Real Name'. Then it will appear underneath your Username in all your posts. You can also enter your location so that it does the same, just as in my details alongside this message. Then we all know where everyone is in the world.

So far as a bag is concerned,. I'd suggest you have a look at a online retailer such as Warehouse Express and work out, first of all, what sort of bag you're looking for; e.g. Backpack, Shoulder Bag, Hard Case, etc. The you can start working out which model from the relevant range would suit your needs.

Real Name
    Mark

I have a Kata bumblebee 210 and find it to be an excellent bag (backpack actually).

Real Name
    Chris Andrews

I have a Pelican hard case for traveling, a crumpler 7mdh, lowepro offtrail 2, lowepro top zoom and a messenger bag with padded insert. All different sizes for different situations. The crumpler 7mdh is my do it all go to bag.

The Lowenpro range are excellent quality.

I have one of their holster types which just squeezes in my 40D with 70-200 lens and the mini trekker backpack which has plenty of room for camera and a couple of lenses (including the rather large Sigma 150-500) plus flash and other accessories, including lunch.

A smallish 4 section tripod will just fit inside or my Manfrotto will strap outside. A comfortable to use backpack with plenty of pockets and straps where you need them. Including a strong top carrying handle for when you don't want to use it as a backpack.

Real Name
    Richard

There is a really high mark-up on camera bags ar retail stores. There is a plethora of new bags available both on Amazon.co and eBay usually at quite a discounted price.

Used bags can be a decent choice if they are in good shape because that don't retain their value very well on the used market. However, make sure that if you don't smoke, they come from a smoke free environment. I was given a Tamrac bag once which came from a smoking household and I ended up spraying it with Lysol and other odor removing chemicals and leaving it in my patio for a few months before discarding it....

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

Tamrac is the cadillac of bags. But also pricy.
    I have the Pro 12. This bag is good for 2 bodies, 4 lenses, flash and other items.
    You should make yourself a plan for the future. What do you need more for camera stuff in the coming future.
    Base on your list you should start shopping for that bag. Go to Tamrac.com.

Real Name
    John

I went with the recommendation of my camera dealer when I purchased my first camera bag. I only had one body and one lens at the time, but the model he chose for me could hold the camera attached to a lens and room for an extra lens. My collection has since grown and my latest bag can hold the camera/body and three additional lenses. Didn't think the collection would grow any more but I added two more camera bodies and three additional lenses. I rarely carry all at once, and if you plan to do the same just look for a bag that is ergonomically friendly to both your body and your equipment. If you visit one of the brand's websites they will describe how much equipment should easily fit in each model.

Real Name
    Robin

Bags are the bain of my life and to be honest a bit of a fetish too. At last count I have 4 Lowepro back-packs, 3 shoulder bags, a couple of Toploaders and more pouches than I care to count.
    The thing is they have grown in size as my kit has expanded, also I don't always carry the same combination.

What I would say is get something just a little bit bigger than you need for your current kit...and....get a one for just the camera and your day-to-day lens for when you want to go lightweight for the day.
    Shoulder bags are great for moderate sized kits as they are quick to use, don't look too geeky and aren't too bulky. Once you get above a few lenses and flashguns then I'd go backpack or you will be crippled within a month as you end up walking around like the hunchback of Notre Dame. Not as convenient to use as you need to take them off to access your gear but they are well laid out and once on the weight isn't an issue.
    Brand wise they are all pretty good but you do get what you pay for with the likes of Lowepro. They are well designed with lots of little details that aren't immediately obvious, the shoulder bags have a little lip on their straps to hold your camera strap on your shoulder, the backpacks tend to have excellent lumber support with loops for extra bit-n-bobs. Make sure it has an all weather cover built in for those rainy days and small elasticated pockets on the outside are brilliant for keeping lens caps in - I seem to hemorrhage the little buggers when I'm out shooting.

Finally - don't buy online to save a few quid, go to your local store with ALL your kit to try them out.

One other benefit about back packs is that they don't obviously contain camera equipment so they are less likely to be stolen.

They could just contain stale food and smelly shoes! So who would steal that.

Real Name
    Fitz

Thanks Donald. Profile is now updated with relevant details. Thanks for your suggestions.

Real Name
    Fitz

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I will go for the Kata DR-467i. It seems large enough to hold my current kit, plus more when I do add new pieces. I was difficult deciding between Kata and Tamrac though, since both seem quite good brands.

Real Name
    Bill S

Fitz,

If you haven't hit the button on the purchase yet, I do have one more bit of info to toss out there.

For years, I used the Canon Gadget bag 1-EG which is a shoulder bag - it holds a ton of stuff which while very nice is pretty heavy and not very comfortable. So I recently decided to find a backpack - I ended up with the Tamrac Adventure 75. It is a pricey model, but distributes the weight much better. Though I can't carry as much as I can with the 1-EG. Then about a week after buying the Tamrac, I found a Canon backpack - the 200EG.

Except for a few minor differences - most notably in the back ventilation - the Tamrac 75 and the Canon Backpack 200EG are identical. What isn't identical is the price though! I paid $135 for the Tamrac, but only $38 for the Canon Backpack! Yeah - I ended up buying the Canon one too - long story on why.

Equivalently - the Gadget Bag 1-EG is pretty cheap - I paid $65 for mine.

I don't know if these prices hold true in the UK, but I figured I would pass it along. Here are the links to the bags I discussed:
    - Tamrac Adventure 75
    - Canon Backpack 200EG
    - Canon Gadget Back 1EG

Hope this helps in your search.

- Bill

Real Name
    Fitz

Thanks for the info Bill. Looks like the 200EG is only sold in the US. I live in the UK. My Kata bag should arrive later this week, so we will see how that goes.

Cheers,
    Fitz