Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Using Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB)

Using Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB)

I have been trying to use AEB to help me learn more about exposure. When I set AEB I only get one image. I don't know if it's me messing up or the camera. I think it used to work, but I can't remember for sure.
    Canon 20D.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Using Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB)

Hi Kookeer,

As so far, no Canon user has answered, I can only proffer my limited experience, now this is very likely not applicable to you, but may help others.

On my Fuji superzoom, it does have a Bracketing option, but it only works when shooting jpg, not RAW.
    I think my buffer is too small to hold more than one RAW

However, on a mid-range DSLR like the 20D, I'd be quite surprised if this was actually the cause in your case, but I guess you can try it and see quickly enough.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by kookeer View Post
    I have been trying to use AEB to help me learn more about exposure. When I set AEB I only get one image. I don't know if it's me messing up or the camera. I think it used to work, but I can't remember for sure.
    Canon 20D.
    Hi Kookeer,

For AEB to work on a 20D you need to set the drive mode to continuous.

Problem solved?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Kookeer,

For AEB to work on a 20D you need to set the drive mode to continuous.

Problem solved?
    No, that didn't work. I changed my battery, because it was getting low and that didn't help.
    It must be the camera. Having it in jpeg didn't matter either.
    Thank you for your help.

Real Name
    Jim

I have a 50D,so I'm not sure how different the setup is between the 2.After you set the stops for the AEB are you hitting the set button? I have done this a couple of times.I set the AEB then leave the menu without hitting the set button.
    Regards,
    Jim

Maybe irellevant as I use a Nikon, but once you set the bracket feature you need to shoot the sequence manually. If you set a -1 0 +1 sequence then you have to shoot three shots to do the sequence. A tell-tale in the finder lets you know how you're getting on i.e. when you have finished the sequence.

HTH

Hi Kookeer,

Are you thinking you get three images with one button press like you do in WB bracketing?

Otherwise Jims' thoughts on not having pressed the set button after the adjustments in the menu should solve it - something I've done on occasions too! My excuse it's my Daughters camera and I shouldn't be expected to know everything

Thank you Jim, I wasn't confiming the set sometimes, but lately I have. Jonathon, I figured the camera would do it by itself. The manuel didn't say I had to take the three pictures. I'm glad you told or I would've never figured it out.
    Thank you all.

In my Canon 350D you not only have to set AEB, but also indicate (moving a control) how many EV apart will be. By default is 0 (i.e. no bracketing), then 1 (-1,0,+1), then 2 (-2,0,+2). Maybe you are simply not selecting any of these last two options, so you stay in no bracketing mode.

Once the AEB is set, you have to shoot 3 times consecutively; the first shot will correspond to the centred exposure 0, then -2 (or -1), then +2 (or +1).

BR

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by kookeer View Post
    The manuel didn't say I had to take the three pictures.
    If the camera is set for single drive mode then you'll need to take the 3 shots one after the others, but if the drive mode is set to continuous then it'll take the 3 shots in a row (with one press of the shutter release), and then stop. Quite handy for landscape work

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    I have a 50D,so I'm not sure how different the setup is between the 2.After you set the stops for the AEB are you hitting the set button? I have done this a couple of times.I set the AEB then leave the menu without hitting the set button.
    Regards,
    Jim
    I found this was my problem a few months ago when I was trying to use AEB. Worth making sure you press the set button as I was just exiting and scratching my head wondering why it didn't take the 3 photos! Also I find continuous (or timer - which also does 3 I believe) is much easier as you tend to eliminate shake on all of the pics rather than say pressing the shutter button every time.