Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Time

Real Name
    John

Time

I know everyone on this forum have other obligations, but I was wondering how much time to do spend on photography, either photographing or editing? When I renewed my interest about twelve years ago I limited my time to vacations only. I soon realized that if I was going to improve my skills I had to spend more time photographing, later time spent editing soon added to my fun. I usually carry some type of camera with me at all times and I will sometimes just grab the point and shoot and start shooting macro images either at my desk or in the lab. It helps keep the eye searching for interesting subjects. I spend about seven or more hours a week photographing objects and usually three or more hours editing photos.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Time

Hi John,

I shoot in "bursts" -- sometimes location shoots can tie me up for an entire day, whereas at other times it's just a quick artwork reproduction in the studio -- and other times, nothing at all for days on end (which is when I get grumpy).

So not sure if that's really an answer, but I do know I'm happiest when I'm shooting

Real Name
    Frank Miller

My wife says that she sometimes wakes up grumpy. Other times she just lets me sleep in!

Real Name
    Steaphany

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I was wondering how much time to do spend on photography, either photographing or editing?
    I have no set amount of time that I put to photography and what I shoot is rather planned. I'm always observant of potential subjects and then I'll decide when it would be the best time for a shot. With astronomical photographic subjects, they usually set the schedule. The Unplanned usually is when some animal companion is in that just right pose and I go get my camera. So the actually shooting time is brief intervals dependant on fitting things into my schedule. Post processing is really up to my available time and I do not rush to complete an image, unless it is for a specific occasion, I have a back log now on my computer. ( Probably, just how I worked originally with film )

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I crave more time for this wonderful hobby.

For the last two years I been telling myself ...... and anyone else who'll listen ........ that I'm going to build more time into my weekends (because that's what I'm pretty much restricted to for shooting) to get out in the early mornings. And what happens? Every weekend (well, it feels like that) there is something that, it is decreed, is more important than my pleasure.

So, like Colin, It does come in bursts. And like Steaphany, I always try and have a plan. I know the location. I often know the shots, because I've seen them before and didn't have time, or it was the wrong time of day, to capture the image I wanted.

So far as PP, CiC etc is concerned. I now watch virtually no TV. Being on here, reading and listening to the radio are much more informative and educational.

When I know I've captured a good shot, I want to create the image as soon as possible. So, I'll carve time out from somewhere almost immediately, in order to work on the digital darkroom phase of the image-making.

Real Name
    Richard

Being retired is great! I don't know how I ever had enough time to work!

I also work in bursts... There are times when I spend whole days on photography itself and other days when I only do a bit of web browsing or forum lurking like I am doing now. Usually however, there are few days when I am totally away from photography.

I like it when my creative juices are stirred up. Most often trips will do that for me but other times it is simply local happenings. At other times, I am able to attend some seminars or take courses that are relatively low cost.

I am planning to attend a seminar in surf photography. We have a large surfing community here in the San Diego area but, I have never shot surfers in action. The seminar, sponsored by a local camera shop is relatively inexpensive. The only downside is that it starts at 6:00 AM. That means I would have to leave my home at 5:00 AM to be sure of making it on time and that, in turn, means getting up in the wee hours of the morning.

I have just fabricated a set of tripod "booties" for the surf shots by cutting an old bicycle inner tube to about 1-foot (~ 1/3 meter) length. I sealed one end with flat fixing cement and reinforced it with gaffers tape. I slip my tripod leg into the bootie and then secure it to the leg with gaffers tape. BTW: anyone who is not familiar with gaffers tape, should be. It is similar to duct tape except that it leaves no residue when removed.

I have been attending a great and free Photoshop CS-5 Course for five hours each Friday at the Adult Education Department of the San Diego Community College morning and have learned a great deal to help make my Photoshop work more efficient.

I am also considering attending another seminar sponsored by a local Calumet Photo store: David Ziser’s Captured by the Light Tour.
    http://www.cvent.com/events/david-zi...en=Cheetahmail
    Calumet is offering a discount.

I attend classes and seminars, not so much to learn new techniques as to get my creative juices flowing.

My wife and I have been seriously considering setting up a Christmas Display (polically correctly called "A Holiday Display) to shoot some of our dogs for a Christmas (err... a Holiday) Card. We will then contact all the families who have adopted our rescue Maltese dogs during the last year or two and offer them a free shoot for their own cards...

Real Name
    Mike

When I decided to get more serious with my photography and invest in it, I also decided I was spending too much time on the computer and wanted to cut back. I soon found that you need to spend time on the computer doing PP. Sigh. At this time, Im working Part time and am addicted to motorcycle travel. So I find my self doing photo stuff in bursts like Donald and Colin.

There are times I set aside and drive around looking for shots, not always with good luck. It varies. a few hours a week on the average perhaps?

Real Name
    Steve

I try to spend at least one day a week shooting.

The rest of the week I spend some time every day reading about stuff or working on my processing.
    I return to old shots and apply something I've leaned to see if I can get something better out of the image.
    I try not to shoot too many shots when I go out these days. I prefer to have fewer things to work on in post.
    This weekend I'll be in NH checking on the folliage so I expect I'll be returning with more than the usual number.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi John,

I shoot in "bursts" -- sometimes location shoots can tie me up for an entire day, whereas at other times it's just a quick artwork reproduction in the studio -- and other times, nothing at all for days on end (which is when I get grumpy).

So not sure if that's really an answer, but I do know I'm happiest when I'm shooting
    It serves as an answer. During those lulls do you have your camera with you and are you distracted by other things that you aren't shooting?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post
    I have no set amount of time that I put to photography and what I shoot is rather planned. I'm always observant of potential subjects and then I'll decide when it would be the best time for a shot. With astronomical photographic subjects, they usually set the schedule. The Unplanned usually is when some animal companion is in that just right pose and I go get my camera. So the actually shooting time is brief intervals dependant on fitting things into my schedule. Post processing is really up to my available time and I do not rush to complete an image, unless it is for a specific occasion, I have a back log now on my computer. ( Probably, just how I worked originally with film )
    I know what you mean about the astrophotography. A local astronomer stated that WNY is the worst region for photographing or viewing the stars because of all the lake effect clouds. But when the sky is clear you better be ready.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I crave more time for this wonderful hobby.

For the last two years I been telling myself ...... and anyone else who'll listen ........ that I'm going to build more time into my weekends (because that's what I'm pretty much restricted to for shooting) to get out in the early mornings. And what happens? Every weekend (well, it feels like that) there is something that, it is decreed, is more important than my pleasure.

So, like Colin, It does come in bursts. And like Steaphany, I always try and have a plan. I know the location. I often know the shots, because I've seen them before and didn't have time, or it was the wrong time of day, to capture the image I wanted.

So far as PP, CiC etc is concerned. I now watch virtually no TV. Being on here, reading and listening to the radio are much more informative and educational.

When I know I've captured a good shot, I want to create the image as soon as possible. So, I'll carve time out from somewhere almost immediately, in order to work on the digital darkroom phase of the image-making.
    With the cold weather nearing, more time for PP.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Being retired is great! I don't know how I ever had enough time to work!

I also work in bursts... There are times when I spend whole days on photography itself and other days when I only do a bit of web browsing or forum lurking like I am doing now. Usually however, there are few days when I am totally away from photography.

I like it when my creative juices are stirred up. Most often trips will do that for me but other times it is simply local happenings. At other times, I am able to attend some seminars or take courses that are relatively low cost.

I am planning to attend a seminar in surf photography. We have a large surfing community here in the San Diego area but, I have never shot surfers in action. The seminar, sponsored by a local camera shop is relatively inexpensive. The only downside is that it starts at 6:00 AM. That means I would have to leave my home at 5:00 AM to be sure of making it on time and that, in turn, means getting up in the wee hours of the morning.

I have just fabricated a set of tripod "booties" for the surf shots by cutting an old bicycle inner tube to about 1-foot (~ 1/3 meter) length. I sealed one end with flat fixing cement and reinforced it with gaffers tape. I slip my tripod leg into the bootie and then secure it to the leg with gaffers tape. BTW: anyone who is not familiar with gaffers tape, should be. It is similar to duct tape except that it leaves no residue when removed.

I have been attending a great and free Photoshop CS-5 Course for five hours each Friday at the Adult Education Department of the San Diego Community College morning and have learned a great deal to help make my Photoshop work more efficient.

I am also considering attending another seminar sponsored by a local Calumet Photo store: David Ziser’s Captured by the Light Tour.
    http://www.cvent.com/events/david-zi...en=Cheetahmail
    Calumet is offering a discount.

I attend classes and seminars, not so much to learn new techniques as to get my creative juices flowing.

My wife and I have been seriously considering setting up a Christmas Display (polically correctly called "A Holiday Display) to shoot some of our dogs for a Christmas (err... a Holiday) Card. We will then contact all the families who have adopted our rescue Maltese dogs during the last year or two and offer them a free shoot for their own cards...
    With me, I usually get my glimpses of good subjects either on the way to work or just as I am about to leave for work (the moon always miraculously appears as I am walking out the door).

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    When I decided to get more serious with my photography and invest in it, I also decided I was spending too much time on the computer and wanted to cut back. I soon found that you need to spend time on the computer doing PP. Sigh. At this time, Im working Part time and am addicted to motorcycle travel. So I find my self doing photo stuff in bursts like Donald and Colin.

There are times I set aside and drive around looking for shots, not always with good luck. It varies. a few hours a week on the average perhaps?
    I get those moments when I am looking for shots and can never seem to find anything. Sometimes it best to just take out the camera and test your settings based on the lighting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by sleist View Post
    I try to spend at least one day a week shooting.

The rest of the week I spend some time every day reading about stuff or working on my processing.
    I return to old shots and apply something I've leaned to see if I can get something better out of the image.
    I try not to shoot too many shots when I go out these days. I prefer to have fewer things to work on in post.
    This weekend I'll be in NH checking on the folliage so I expect I'll be returning with more than the usual number.
    I didn't even think about the reading portion of photography. An incentive to get out there though.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I was wondering how much time to do spend on photography, either photographing or editing?
    Not as much as I would like. Work interferes............