Thread: Is it possible to turn the flash off in M or A Mode in a Sony DSLR Alpha 200?

Real Name
    Christina

Is it possible to turn the flash off in M or A Mode in a Sony DSLR Alpha 200?

I would like to try shooting some photos in Manual or Aperature or even P Mode, so I can obtain more depth of field in my photos (using a higher F number) without having the flash slow down the shutter speed...

When I put my camera in A, M, P or S modes I do not have a no flash option.

I also tried pushing the button on the left of the viewfinder at front - normally this makes the flash pop up - ie giving it a second push (in A or M mode) to see if that would turn off the flash but it doesn't.

Thank you.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: Is it possible to turn the flash off in M or A Mode in a Sony DSLR Alpha 200?

Hi Christina,

I'm a bit confused by this. Are you saying that the flash is popping up in these modes automatically? I did a quick google on the camera and as far as I could tell it's quite a normal DSLR. As these modes are (apart from M) semi manual I'm wondering if the metering system is telling it it's too dark.

I hope some Sony users pipe up 'cos if my camera started playing this little trick it'd get binned pdq!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Is it possible to turn the flash off in M or A Mode in a Sony DSLR Alpha 200?

Hi Mark,

This started as a PM to me and I read the manual online and it confirmed that selecting "No Flash" is disabled in P, A, S and M modes!

A google appeared to show the opposite problem for some users, so I expect it can be done, it is just not intuitive.

Even if the metering system does say it is too dark, in M mode, wouldn't you think it sensible to be able to overide the flash?

Things get complicated because I think it also uses the flash as an AF illuminator in low light, so even though it pops up and appears to flash, that may be before the exposure is taken and thus not a problem, but that shouldn't affect what I was suggesting.

I was suggesting elsewhere that Christina's experience with blurry pics in A mode was because the flash was setting 1/160s as the maximum shutter speed and the aperture range restricted to what the camera thought was OK for that shutter speed. I could be wrong, but the EXIF fitted the results and manual info.

There are several A200 owning members, so I hope one will see this and know the answer.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st October 2011 at 05:33 PM.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Mark,

An example to help clarify
    I turn my camera dial to A for aperture priority... I set my iso, white balance, aperture, etc as I wish, but when I press the flash off button it is not available... only fill flash, slow flash, rear flash, slow sync and wireless flash is available to select...

And the flash off selection is also not available in M, P, S modes

Thank you
    Christina

Real Name
    Robin

The flash off isn't available because it won't automatically come on in these mode so there's no need to override it.

Nowt wrong with your camera.

Real Name
    Paul

I use a Sony A100 but unfortunately will be of little help as the A100 has no auto pop up. If you want flash you must lift the flash manualy. Christmas is coming and that may change to the A580, but this is something I never would have thought to even check out as it just makes no sense. I hope you get it all worked out, as I know there are many Sony users here.

Hmm, I am a bit slow on the keys. If I am hearing Robin correctly the A200 is the same as the A100.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you... To clarify I want to turn the Flash OFF

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Sorry all, I'm still confused. So is the actual flash still popping up and firing of it's own accord?

Real Name
    Christina

No worries. I'm new and probably not so great at explaining this... Just shot a photo, and no the flash did not pop up, but I can't tell if it is firing... That said, in AUTO mode, I can select the flash off button so I know for sure that the flash will not fire.

Real Name
    Paul

You can select it in auto because the camera needs to be told not to auto fire the flash. In the other modes you must tell the camera to fire the flash as it is not auto. I think you are getting it worked out.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Aah, I see. Well I think Robin is right then. I'd very much doubt that it will fire when tucked into it's housing. Is the camera operating under your instruction and not reverting the shutter speed to 1/60 as Dave had noticed?

And no worries for being new Christina. And there are no stupid questions either. If you don't know something ask.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you Jeeperman, but now I am confused... I want to ORDER the camera NOT to flash (no matter how dark it thinks it is) in the A, P,M and S modes...

Real Name
    Paul

You should not need to order it to not flash. It should only flash if you tell it to. Try a couple shots in those modes and watch the flash...nothing should happen.

Real Name
    Christina

Thanks Jeeperman. That makes sense.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice... I tried some shots here in the house, and it does not seem to flash... I will get out one day next week and try it on some pelicans and report back to everyone.

Thanks again.

Real Name
    Christina

Just to say thank you everyone... I tried shooting some pelicans in aperture mode today, and the flash does not go off. However sometimes the shutter speed adjusts itself, (too, slow) so I end up with a blurry photo. I think I learned that it is best to use the Manual or Shutter priority for shooting pelicans in action... here are a couple of shots, (the second with an odd composition I know) but the light is better and it's a little less blurry

Thank you.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Glad you're sorted Christina,

I do like the first one.

It is a minor shame that 'bird behind' wasn't a little further to our left, so it wasn't behind the wing tip of the first and then it would have been a perfect composition - just bad luck - but still a good shot.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Christina

Thanks Dave... I was just experimenting today with a higher iso and exposure, to learn for future shots... Yes, those darn pelicans are all over the place!