Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Marlow Weir

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Marlow Weir

I have been trying to come up with the best treatment of the cascading white water over the weir. This ranges from a very sharp treatment to pure white cotton wool. I have settled on the intermediate version, which is this and I would welcome your comments.

Marlow Weir

Aperture: f/22 Shutter Speed: 1/8 ISO: 100
    Last edited by ChrisH; 28th September 2011 at 12:33 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Marlow Weir

Chris

On the very few occasions when I have attempted a flowing water image (with the water flowing at about the same rate as I think you would have had here), I, too, have gone for a 1/8th shutter speed. I found it to be the right one for what I wanted to achieve.

As you state, it avoids the 'cotton wool' effect and still imparts a sense of movement and energy. I think it approximates to how the eye/brain actually sees the flow.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

Nice treatment, good composition and nice and big.

It is such a shame they don't let people (well, sensible photographers) on to those walkways at weirs
    I'm sure one could find a host of new angles from there
    As long as it was done with life jacket, 'at ones own risk' and perhaps even just one person at a time ...

Of course, if the public at large were allowed on, it wouldn't be long before someone's ill-disciplined child fell off, which is why we can't Am I turning into a grumpy old man?

I like the shot a lot and agree with your choice of shutter speed, well done

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thank you both for your comments.

Dave - Funnily enough I did ask the Lock keeper at Marlow who to approach for permission to walk across the well protected walkway of the weir. He did tell me but also told me there was no way on this earth that I would get permission, so I didn't waste my time, but have thought about a boat instead..