Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Agony

Real Name
    Bobo

The Agony

Saw these sitting there in a clump of building debris. The colour and shapes looked quite interesting and took a couple of shots.

How does this one come across? Or just trash it?

Thanks.

"The Agony of Dying Slowly"
    The Agony
    Last edited by Bobobird; 25th September 2011 at 06:11 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: The Agony

I think you have a good concept here, Bobo. The thing that does not agree with the elements would be the lighting. Since almost all of the elements are evenly lit, it is a bit hard to select what is the main subject and where the focus of attention should be. You can either do a re-shoot and use the late afternoon sun for a more sidelight effect or you can introduce a post-processing lighting effect. If you may, here is one possible option using a post-processing lighting effect:

The Agony

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I think you have a good concept here, Bobo. The thing that does not agree with the elements would be the lighting. Since almost all of the elements are evenly lit, it is a bit hard to select what is the main subject and where the focus of attention should be. You can either do a re-shoot and use the late afternoon sun for a more sidelight effect or you can introduce a post-processing lighting effect. If you may, here is one possible option using a post-processing lighting effect:

The Agony
    Nice treatment. Bobo's concept is a good one and I think your enhancement of Bobo's image does help.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Willie, yes it was noon'ish when I found this.

Reshoot is not possible at this time as I will be away for 2 months. The stuff will probably still be there waiting...

I usually hesitate from moving too far from an original image with something inside saying keep it closer to how you found it.

Your edit is fantastic (as usual) and does something which mine does not. I will try that in PS and see what turns up.

Thanks.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

There is no problem in your idea of keeping your work as close as possible to how you saw it. However, if you have a lot of spare time, watch this same subject lit by the sun or any other source of light in different time of day and you'd be amazed to find out that the lighting can give your subject different kinds of emotional effect to it. It is the blending and use of light and shadows that creates the difference in our images. Good luck.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Willie. I will take it slower when doing statics.

Redo version. Willie's version still looks much much better but my pp skills are pretty rudimentary.

The Agony
    Last edited by Bobobird; 26th September 2011 at 10:09 AM.

Real Name
    Robert S.

Hi Bobo,

your second version looks harder and more destructive to me than Willie's. I think it is because your version has much more contrast and a higher blackpoint. The upper left corner tend to be nearly black. In this case this adds more drama to the picture. It transfers a feeling that the lock's days are really over. If you are going to look at it on a larger picture size a little bit more dof will be a good thing, I think.

Robert

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Robert for the constructive reply.
    Was trying to replicate Willie's but my pp skills are not up to it. So this is what came out.

Having mulled over what you and Willie have said, I have now a mental picture of what can be done with a re-shoot. Unless they clear the place (unlikely) the stuff should still be there when I get back in about 2 months.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Assuming you're going to be back in South Ontario, maybe there will be some snow on it.

Real Name
    Darlene

I think it might look better if all the background were black to isolate the three iron pieces and the stone or wall they are on.

My opinion. Really like the shot and what you are trying to do with it. Texture in a photograph adds so much!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Darlene and George.

Snow on it will be another challenge.