Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rainbow in the Mist

Real Name
    Mike

Rainbow in the Mist

Rainbow in the Mist
    1/200s f/5.6 at 105.0mm

When you live in a mountainous place where it rains as much as it does here, there are
    bound to be a few waterfalls. Although this one is miles back into the hills, it will produce
    a rainbow almost any early morning that the Sun is shining.

Took several shots at F/8 and F/11, but wasn't quite getting the full effect of the rainbow.
    Presumed that this was due to the auto-focus locking in on the rocks behind the mist, and
    while the rainbow was being captured, the brilliancy of the colors was not. Thought on the
    problem for a bit, and decided to open the lens up to F/5.6 (best this lens can do at 105mm)
    and manually focus on the rocks behind the rainbow, then back the focus off just enough to
    move the in-focus field just a little closer, and right into the middle of the rainbow itself.

Surprisingly, it worked..

Mike
    Last edited by Dizzy; 23rd September 2011 at 06:51 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Rainbow in the Mist

Imaginative solution and a worthy tip.

Nice shot and looks pretty good in an "abstracty" way.

Can you try and maybe back off on the crop and let the shape/light shaft of the rainbow become a bit more prominent?

Real Name
    John Wright

Strong colours, Mike.. It seems you intentionally went right in the get these colours so maybe there isn't the crop that Bobo is alluding to.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Mike, given the intensity of the colors, is that shot SOOC or did you need to enhance the color in post processing? If it is SOOC, then it is one of the most beautiful rainbow colors I have seen. Owing to the background, it is difficult to pick out the typical curve of the rainbow in this image.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Surprisingly, it worked..
    Don't be surprised. Instead, celebrate the technical knowledge and skill that were put into effect to contribute to the creation of such an artistic image.

A highly competent, in my opinion, piece if creative image-making.

Real Name
    Mike

Really very beautiful_ Looks like a slice of opal, one of my favourite stones.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Imaginative solution and a worthy tip.
    Nice shot and looks pretty good in an "abstracty" way.
    Can you try and maybe back off on the crop and let the shape/light
    shaft of the rainbow become a bit more prominent?
    Thank you Bobo! Actually, that was cropped in a 1:1, and included the full frame
    (top to bottom) from the original; only the sides had been cropped to reduce
    the excess rock face.

Here is another image from the series that shows a bit more of the waterfall area.

Rainbow in the Mist

Thank you John, and you are pretty much correct, as the rainbow effect is what
    I was trying to coax into the lens, but I could only get so close to it before the
    overspray became a concern, so some of the surrounding cliff area had to be
    included.

Frank, here is the SOOC image, with the only changes being I converted from
    .NEF to .jpg, and reduced the size for posting here:

Rainbow in the Mist

Since it was shot in RAW, I did enhance the colors during processing in an effort
    to draw out as much of the rainbow as was there. Processed it as Vivid, and
    increased both the saturation and vibrancy of the colors that were present, but
    didn't add any colors that weren't there to start with.

I also took a photo of the entire waterfall + rainbow from top to bottom, but am
    having a hard time processing it to anywhere near acceptable. Have to wonder if
    Photoshop might do a better job with this one than Lightroom. I loaded the .DNG
    (full file) into MediaFire if you (or anyone) would like to have a go at it. You can
    download it HERE. (11.85 MB)

Glad you liked it Mike. Never thought of the "opal" connection until you mentioned it,
    but it does indeed have a bit of that look.

Thank you Donald..means a great deal coming from you. Seems I'm one of those knotheads
    that could read books and "how-to" articles all day long, but never learn a damn thing from
    them until the challenge actually presents itself in real life, and then be understood from my
    own point-of-view.

When I was [much] younger I had a 1 iron in my bag, and would hit a bucket of
    balls on the range with that thing at least 3 times a week, and after a lengthy period
    of time was finally was able to hit the ball somewhat straight. Used it only once on
    a long, flat fairway; considered myself lucky to have not gone OB, and then put it
    up for good. In short, I'm a hacker that keeps at it until I get it right.... at least once.

(Not sure if it was Nicklaus or Trevino that said it: "even God can't hit a 1 iron!")
    Last edited by Dizzy; 24th September 2011 at 06:06 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Mike for the additional pics. Having seen the others you did make the right choice with the first one. It is indeed more "arresting".

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Mike for the additional pics. Having seen the others you did make the right choice
    with the first one. It is indeed more "arresting".
    Arresting? "Honest officer...I'm completely boser!"

What I would really like to do is get back up there with a ND filter (which I don't have yet)
    and see just how much of that color can actually be captured. Another idea is to take
    numerous exposures and then stack them for max effect, but not sure how that would play
    out.

Paul (Jeeperman) and I will be passing by this waterfall on the 8th, so that will be the
    next opportunity to have a 2nd go-round with it.

Real Name
    Chris

You're right about where I turn to catch the ferry to Friday Harbor - my brother lives out on that end of the US, me at the opposite end.

Real Name
    Chris

Here are two shots at your image, one minimally addressed, one moreso. The problem I had with the image is having enough water definition to make it stand off the rock face. I did do a different crop, feeling the height would work to the image's favor, rather than a close up section.

Rainbows are fickle because while it appears they stand off from the water (and technically, I guess they do), it is really just the prizmatic effect of light on the water molecules themselves which creates the rainbow...therefore, having the water critically focused does become the essential point.

They make me crazy, so I rarely deliberately shoot them as the primary focal point.

Rainbow in the Mist

Rainbow in the Mist

Real Name
    Jim

What a beautiful image. It's stuff like this I don't have the imagination/courage to try.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Wonderful shot! I wonder what a much faster shutter speed would do for freezing the prismatic effect Chris alluded to?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by georgem View Post
    I wonder what a much faster shutter speed would do for freezing the prismatic effect Chris alluded to?
    Yes, I tend to agree and also wonder whether less exposure would help - a bit like Colin's theme of under exposing the sky to get more colour in it at sunrise/set.

For me I struggle with this because the colour isn't that prominent and also because I have no sense of scale (not having been there). The foliage helps in the uncropped shot.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Here are two shots at your image, one minimally addressed, one moreso. The problem I had with the image is having enough water definition to make it stand off the rock face. I did do a different crop, feeling the height would work to the image's favor, rather than a close up section.
    Rainbows are fickle because while it appears they stand off from the water (and technically, I guess they do), it is really just the prizmatic effect of light on the water molecules themselves which creates the rainbow...therefore, having the water critically focused does become the essential point.
    They make me crazy, so I rarely deliberately shoot them as the primary focal point.
    I like your rendering of the image Chris, and thanks for taking the time to give
    them a try.

In reference to the "Rainbows are fickle because while it appears they stand off from
    the water", I agree, and that was the reasoning for messing with the focus a bit
    for the shot on top (is that what's known as back-focusing?). In this case, the rainbow
    is in the mist-cloud that's created as the water smashes on the rocks, and it encompasses
    the area 1-3 ft. in front of the fall.

Here's one I did last night Chris, and I reduced the exposure like you did, but only in
    certain areas, and also cloned out the larger green shrub:

Rainbow in the Mist

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Yes, I tend to agree and also wonder whether less
    exposure would help - a bit like Colin's theme of under exposing the sky to get more
    colour in it at sunrise/set.

For me I struggle with this because the colour isn't that prominent and also because
    I have no sense of scale (not having been there). The foliage helps in the uncropped
    shot.
    I think you are right Dave, as odds are I overexposed and didn't adjust for the Sun
    glare coming off the water and wet rock face. To allow some perspective, here is the
    SOOC (DNG to .jpg) pic of the entire waterfall. The other images (above) were just
    cropped on the sides, but retained the full length.

Rainbow in the Mist

Jim: No courage required...just get out there and shoot the thing!

Honestly, I probably delete 10 for every 1 I keep, but with digital there's only gain
    as every one deleted teaches me something to do, or not do.

Thanks George! Going to try that faster shutter, and reducing the exposure next
    time I'm back in there (Oct. 8th, if the weather behaves)

Mike
    Last edited by Dizzy; 25th September 2011 at 12:27 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Mike, hopefully the weather will cooperate on the 8th and if it does, it looks like you may have more time to experiment than you would with the fleeting rainbows I've been able to capture. It will be interesting to see what techniques produce the best image and what might be learned that can apply to the typical rainbow that is 'out in the wild' so to speak.

I would definitely experiment with image stacking by varying exposure, focus, shutter speed, aperture, distance, etc. Once you can fairly accurately predict what settings will capture the best rainbow colors and definition I'm sure that many of us would like to be able to apply what you have learned when the next 'pop-up' rainbow surprisingly appears in front of us!

Looking forward to October 9th! Rainbow in the Mist