Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wolves

Real Name
    Samantha Jane Eaton

Wolves

I've just joined the site and learning more about photography but thought I'd post a few pics up of my attempts so far to see what people think

Wolves

Re: Wolves

Samantha,

Welcome!
    I really like this photo... I love Wolves! where was this taken?

I do have a couple picky things to point out...
    Has this been cropped? If so, I'm thinking that it may look better without such a tight crop.
    The white on the snout of the wolf closest to the camera is a little blown. You may want to play with exposure and highlights in post processing to see if you can get a little more texture to that area.

Overall, I like this photo. And again, Welcome!
    frankie

Real Name
    Tommy

Hey Samantha! Welcome to CiC!

That's a great photo! I hope you don't mind but I had a little play with it in Photoshop...

I felt the highlights were a little blown in places - this essentially means that they are overexposed to the point that they are pure white ad have no detail in them. Look at the dog's cheek on the right. So I did a bit of burning and increased the contrast and sharpened it a tad. This may not be to everyone's taste, but it's how I would have processed it myself.

See what ya think... ...but keep posting photos, especially if they are as cute as this one!

Wolves

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Smantha and welcome to CiC.

I do like the shot and agree it is a little blown in the highlights but this can be easily fixed in post production. And, yes, it does need a little sharpening - all digial images need some sharpening. Tommy has shown you what sharpening can do but I must admit I do like your lighter rendition of the image rather than the constrasty attempt by Tommy. Yours is a friendly warm shot whereas Tommy's has a rather menacing appearance to it. So I think just a little sharpening and it would be great.

Thanks for sharing and please keep posting.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Frankie and Tommy are why we are all here. The original image is good but the suggestion by Frankie and edit by Tommy is really good.

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Yours is a friendly warm shot whereas Tommy's has a rather menacing appearance to it. So I think just a little sharpening and it would be great.
    This is a good point Peter and I was happy with that given the title of the thread. Wolves are menacing and threatening. If these are Samantha's pet dogs and she wants to make a nice friendly portrait of them then I agree with you that less sharpening and contrast gives a cuddlier feel to it

Real Name
    Tommy

Here's a very quick attempt... Less contrasty and less menacing, but sharper and toned down highlights...

Wolves
    Last edited by RockNGoalStar; 16th September 2011 at 07:19 AM.

Real Name
    Samantha Jane Eaton

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Samantha,

Welcome!
    I really like this photo... I love Wolves! where was this taken?

I do have a couple picky things to point out...
    Has this been cropped? If so, I'm thinking that it may look better without such a tight crop.
    The white on the snout of the wolf closest to the camera is a little blown. You may want to play with exposure and highlights in post processing to see if you can get a little more texture to that area.

Overall, I like this photo. And again, Welcome!
    frankie
    Thanks Frankie, yes it is cropped! Great advice, much appreciated

Real Name
    Samantha Jane Eaton

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Hey Samantha! Welcome to CiC!

That's a great photo! I hope you don't mind but I had a little play with it in Photoshop...

I felt the highlights were a little blown in places - this essentially means that they are overexposed to the point that they are pure white ad have no detail in them. Look at the dog's cheek on the right. So I did a bit of burning and increased the contrast and sharpened it a tad. This may not be to everyone's taste, but it's how I would have processed it myself.

See what ya think... ...but keep posting photos, especially if they are as cute as this one!

Wolves
    Thanks Tommy, yes it does look better, as I said I'm only just starting out so is great to receive C&C such as this

Real Name
    Samantha Jane Eaton

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Smantha and welcome to CiC.

I do like the shot and agree it is a little blown in the highlights but this can be easily fixed in post production. And, yes, it does need a little sharpening - all digial images need some sharpening. Tommy has shown you what sharpening can do but I must admit I do like your lighter rendition of the image rather than the constrasty attempt by Tommy. Yours is a friendly warm shot whereas Tommy's has a rather menacing appearance to it. So I think just a little sharpening and it would be great.

Thanks for sharing and please keep posting.
    Thanks Peter!

Real Name
    Samantha Jane Eaton

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    Frankie and Tommy are why we are all here. The original image is good but the suggestion by Frankie and edit by Tommy is really good.
    Yes indeed!

Real Name
    Samantha Jane Eaton

Well unfortunately they're not my pets but yes, I was going for the more cuddly version but totally get you menacing wolves reference!

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by SJEaton View Post
    Well unfortunately they're not my pets but yes, I was going for the more cuddly version but totally get you menacing wolves reference!
    I went for a slightly less aggressive look! But let me know what you thought of my second attempt at your pic as well...

Real Name
    Samantha Jane Eaton

I do like the second attempt better