Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Camera is Shipped!!!!

Real Name
    Liz

New Camera is Shipped!!!!

I am so excited...MY NEW CAMERA AND LENS WAS SHIPPED this morning!!! I ordered it 6 months no interest from B&H...a Cannon D60, with the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
    lens. I don't have to borrow from my hubby to get it, and can pay it off in January. All my Photo Jedi Masters have me so excited to learn to use it and maybe get some way better pictures. I am going to rent the telephoto for our trip in Dec. but for the next few months I will be learning all I can. Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I am sitting in my chair...jumping up and down inside!!!!

Real Name
    Richard

Re: New Camera is Shipped!!!!

Liz,
    Congratulations on your new camera. I am sure that you will love it and I can relate to how excited you are waiting for the delivery. Read and re-read the user manual and please feel free to ask the forum members about anything that you don't understand. Some members consider an alternate instruction book as a good purchase.

I don't have a 60D so I cannot recommend a specific book. However, the Magic Lantern Guides and the "Digital Field Guides" are generally good. Here is a selection of Amazon offers: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+60D&x=12&y=28

I would also go to youtube.com and do a search using "Canon 60D" as your search parameters. There is a plethora of information available at no charge...

Post a lot of pictures.

Real Name
    Paul

Congrats on your purchase, I look forward to seeing some photos!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree with Richard.

You can also go onto the Canon site now and download the manual and start reading.

And then once you get it, your goal is to have that camera and lens become an extension of your arms, hands and fingers, so that you reach the point where what you do with dials and switches becomes so second nature that you do it at the unconscious level. So, if you say to yourself as you look thought the viewfinder, 'Switch IS from Mode 1 to Mode 2', your finger automatically goes to the right place on the lens and you flick the slider across, without having to take your eye from the viewfinder.

Right now and for some time to come, you will feel you will never reach that point. You will. On the way there you will get frustrated and wish you'd never started this stupid hobby that you'll never manage to get on top of. You will. If you don't, you'll probably be the first photographer in history who hasn't. It is all about practice, practice and practice.

Which is time to pull my often used story about Lee Trevino out of the bag.

Lee Trevino, champion golfer, used to talk about practicing with one golf club. He would spend days/weeks with that one club, getting it to do everything that it could possibly do, before putting it back in the bag and moving on to the next club. As he knew, it wasn't the club that was the problem, it was about how well he knew how to use it.

Real Name
    Terry

Congratulations on your shipment, Liz!

I feel your excitement all the way over here in Missouri!

I can't wait to see your results. You have a good eye and inquisitive mind.

I predict greatness!

Real Name
    Richard

One more thing Liz... Your 24-105mm f/4L IS lens, being an "L" designated lens comes equipped with a Canon lens hood. I suggest that you get in the habit of shooting with this hood on your lens indoors and out. Lens hoods protect from flare (you can have flare shooting indoors as well as outdoors) but, they also protect your lens from physical damage.

I fell with my camera hanging around my neck and the lens hood of my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens hit the concrete first, propelled by my 200+ pounds of weight. The lens hood disintegrated but, the lens was unharmed...

Lens hoods have helped me keep my lenses safe while shooting babies and dogs, both of which can deposit saliva and other nasty stuff on a lens...

Real Name
    Tommy

I am a Nikon man myself, but that looks like a very good setup to get you started!

I bet you're bursting waiting for that to arrive!!!

Real Name
    Liz

Well, I just got word this morning that my hubby lost his job overseas, so I am going to have to send the camera back for now. : It will have to wait till January till I get my money coming. But I will get the manual off line and start reading and even practice more with the book at the stuff with my little G10. I can do manual stuff with it, and I am going to work on learning all I can. I am so bummed about this, but all things come together in the right time.

Real Name
    Tommy

Oh no that's awful news! I hope your hubby manages to get himself sorted out with another job soon!

I'm sure you'll be able to learn a lot with the G10, read, read, read the D60 manual - know it backwards and think about how you will apply the concepts you are learning with your G10 to your D60 when it does eventually arrive. That way you can hit the ground running and you'll be mastering your new DSLR in no time! January aint that far away!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by lizzy310 View Post
    Well, I just got word this morning that my hubby lost his job overseas, so I am going to have to send the camera back for now.
    Sorry, Liz. That's a horrible thing to have happen.

Real Name
    Mike

I'm so sorry Liz...but do understand about saving the money.

FWIW, I would venture that the G10 can do a LOT MORE than it's been given credit for. Just
    go back and look at what Frank did with that winter scene. Practice with what you have, learn, and
    shoot loads of pictures and as Tommy said by the time you are able to get the D60 you'll be light-years
    ahead of where you are now.

LOL @ Donald:...."photography, golf and frustration", all in the same post. So true.

Mike

Real Name
    Terry

Well, I just got word this morning that my hubby lost his job overseas, so I am going to have to send the camera back for now. : It will have to wait till January till I get my money coming. But I will get the manual off line and start reading and even practice more with the book at the stuff with my little G10. I can do manual stuff with it, and I am going to work on learning all I can. I am so bummed about this, but all things come together in the right time.
    This is a bummer, Liz, and I'm sorry for both you and Hubby. January will be here before you know it.

You said a lot with this post and it is possible you both may have gained more than you can know. I have faith in you both.

You have a lot of friends here (including me) and we're pulling for you guys! So keep firing those G10's cause I think they are great.

I predicted greatness, and that still stands.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Ohhh Liz! I do hope that this job situation is just a temporary inconvience for both of you!

Fortunately, with the G10 and some post processing software, I know you can make great strides into the world of photography. Even with free post processing software, like GIMP, there are a lot of techniques you can learn to apply while you are getting a handle on basics. Hang in there gal!

Real Name
    Liz

Thanks for all the support everyone. We have peace and I know a job will come up quickly. He has several possibilities, and has good references. Trying to keep a good attitude...glass half full and all.

Real Name
    Liz

My hubby came home today and he said he felt like he let me down about the camera. I have an awesome guy! I told him no problemo, and I can wait a few months, and keep learning as I wait. Upgraded Elements and am learning how to work it, and when I get the new equipment I will be ready to go. Thanks everyone for your friendship and advice!!!

Real Name
    Paul

Somehow I missed this, good thoughts and positive energy sent! lol Wish the both of you the best. A few months can go by very quickly and by the time you have your new camera in hand you will have a good handle on the basics and likely so much more! Until then enjoy the G10 and learning PP!

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Oh oh! Sad thing to have happened, Liz.
    I hope things are back on track pretty soon & they get so well that you buy a top of the line camera. 5D Mk II?
    Good thoughts for you.

Real Name
    Mike

I have an awesome guy! I told him no problemo, and I can wait a few months, and keep learning as I wait.
    Sounds like he has a pretty awesome wife, too..and in my [vast] experience that's what
    makes a good marriage run smoother than a Swiss clock..

You upgraded Elements? Cool beans...when do we get to see more pics?

Mike

Real Name
    Tommy

I second what Mike has said!

Like we said before, January will be here in no time! All good things come to those who wait!

Real Name
    Liz

5D Mk II? Way over my head Sahil...but thanks for the encouragement. I know all will be well, and right now my hubby is going to have a well deserved rest before going job hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Oh oh! Sad thing to have happened, Liz.
    I hope things are back on track pretty soon & they get so well that you buy a top of the line camera. 5D Mk II?
    Good thoughts for you.