Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hibiscus' pedunculus

Real Name
    Jonathan

Hibiscus' pedunculus

Hello,

I know, I know, I have been out for so long... well, mommy called me to photograph some of her flowers today, so I enjoyed the opportunity to try something different (although she doesn't like my weird compositions).
    What do you think about?
    I'm also facing some difficultins on flowers exposure. I was metering based on the center of the flower, but I noticed that the photos were a bit darker, and one of the problems I've noticed is the difference between the other-colour part.
    Mmm...

Hibiscus' pedunculus

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Hibiscus' pedunculus

Hi Jonathan, I don't think the exposure is that much of a problem but I do see several items that struck me. The colors are beautifully complementary. The stamen appeares to be soft focused. As the most prominent part in the center of the image, I would expect it the be sharper in focus. The lighting is very even, lending itself to making the flower look flat. Perhaps some additional contrast would add some punch? The background is very contrasty so it confuses the shape of the stamen and draws the eye away from the flower.

Perhaps you could add some brightness, contrast and vibrance to the flower and tone down the contrast of the background so that the flower stands out more? To get the stamen in sharper focus would likely need a reshoot. I would also consider giving more space above the stamen so that the flower has room to grow ans tip the flower a little to the right to add interest.

Others may want to chime in and provide a more experienced opinion.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Frank, thank you for the suggestions.
    I'll retry - paying more attention to focus and composition - shooting stamens and post here again.
    As for the brightness and contrast thing, unfortunately I'm still lazy to start learning post-processing techniques.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Pohled View Post
    Frank, thank you for the suggestions.
    I'll retry - paying more attention to focus and composition - shooting stamens and post here again.
    As for the brightness and contrast thing, unfortunately I'm still lazy to start learning post-processing techniques.
    Hi Jonathan, many photographers perfer to get it right at the time of capture and do little or no post processing. It take more skill but the effort is well worth while.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Frank, on the following day I went to take a look at the flower, and guess what, I've got a surprise, there was a snail there which added something, and it has rained as well some hours before. Tell me what you think.

Hibiscus' pedunculus

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Tell me what you think.

Hibiscus' pedunculus
    Better definitely, but the top left corner is still quite a bright distraction.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Frank, on the following day I went to take a look at the flower, and guess what, I've got a surprise, there was a snail there which added something, and it has rained as well some hours before. Tell me what you think.

Hibiscus' pedunculus
    Hi Jonathan, the snail adds unexpected interest and the dew drops help. In fact, I have a spray bottle I carry with my for adding 'dew' to flowers where appropriate. The colors are pleasantly vibrant, this shot has better contrast, and the stamen is in better focus as well. You are getting there!

As Dave points out, the background is still drawing attention away from the Hibiscus. You might want to see if you can get someone to hold something far enough back to out of focus but still block the high contrast background.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Dave and Frank, thank you for the commentaries.
    I'll try to find something here to use as background or purchase a hard 'paper' in order to use as background.

As for rain, in a book I have there's this tip of yours, Frank, "Don't wait for rain, fake it"