Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cleaning & Care

Real Name
    Katelyn

Cleaning & Care

Hello all. I just purchased my first SLR (Canon EOS 60D). I have an older lens that is in a bit of rough shape and I want to clean the lens.

This may sound crazy, but
    * are there any household solutions I can use to clean it?

If not, what do people recommend for a solution and application? Where can this be purchased at a reasonable price?

* How do I minimize dust and debris from getting inside the camera?

* Should I be removing the lens after every shoot?

Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by MacrOdreams; 10th September 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: unclear

Real Name
    Bernard Kravitz

Re: Cleaning & Care

A few years back i upgraded from Nikon F3 HP to the D300. I kept my medical Micro 55 mm lens. I took it to a local camera repair facility recommended by Hunt Photo and had it professionally cleaned and lubricated. I recommend that you take it to the pros. My cost was 85.00 and the results were priceless.

Real Name
    Katelyn

Re: Cleaning & Care

Thanks Bernard. I may do this, however, I want to see if this lens is even going to be worth it. Its pretty outdated. I want to give it a quick cleaning before I attach it and see what kinds of images it produces.

The lens is from an older film camera; it seems to be made by Canon. The markings say "Quantaray for Canon AF, 58mm DMC-1A, 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 LDO Macro."

I really have no idea what lens this is but want to see if I can utilize it as I only have the lens that came in the kit for now.