Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Decline of the Farm

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

The Decline of the Farm

Went out this evening. It is an absolutely gorgeous over cast day in West Texas. For the first time since March the high didn't get over 80 degrees and for the first time this summer it was actually under 90 degrees. I'm playing with post processing and thought, while pretty basic, this old house was a good subject to practice on. As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

The Decline of the Farm
    Old Farm House B&W by KHarmon1971, on Flickr

Same picture, color version
    The Decline of the Farm
    Old Farm House 2 by KHarmon1971, on Flickr

And I kinda liked this old truck, I think I'm going to take my camera in and get it looked at because I'm still having issues with sharpness;
    The Decline of the Farm
    Old truck B&W by KHarmon1971, on Flickr

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: The Decline of the Farm

Hi Kris: You have 2 interesting subjects here, but to my mind both need a bit more context to make them interesting. As far as PP is concerned I hope someone with more experience than myself will chime in to help you out.

Wendy

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Kris,
    The first one seems off rotation to me.
    Wendy makes a good point about context. The old house in itself doesn't seem too compelling to me by itself. It would be nice to see 'something else' going on there.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Hi Kris,
    The first one seems off rotation to me.
    Wendy makes a good point about context. The old house in itself doesn't seem too compelling to me by itself. It would be nice to see 'something else' going on there.
    The house has a slight incline in the distance behind it which I think makes it look like the camera was at an angle. Unfortunately, in the plains of West Texas there's not much interesting in the flat lands to add context to anything. The truck, on the other hand has a bunch of old farm implements and just plain junk in the area around it that I think would add too many distractions. There a hundreds of abandoned homesteads in this area that I know will make a better picture, these were the only two I could get to while the lighting was still good.

I'll have to work on the composition if I go back to these two locations again.

KHarmon

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by KHarmon View Post
    Unfortunately, in the plains of West Texas there's not much interesting in the flat lands to add context to anything.
    KHarmon
    Those flatlands might be boring to you but can make very effective photos. Hope to see more soon

Wendy