Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Boats and Sunset

Boats and Sunset

A small series. Any and all feedback is warmly welcomed. Especially on composition.

Boats and Sunset

Boats and Sunset

Boats and Sunset

Boats and Sunset

Thanks for viewing!

Real Name
    Rob

Re: Boats and Sunset

Hi Giannis
    What a beautiful place.
    A good series of yacht images, you have captured the colours and water very well in all these shots.
    Here are my comments on composition...

#1. I don't think there is enough interest in the water and sky to allow the yacht to be so small in the picture. If the yacht was lower and larger (following the good old rule of thirds), the composition would IMO be improved.

#2. Lovely colours, perhaps a little more space in front of the yacht and less behind it, giving it a little more space to "sail into". The yacht is a good size in the image, I see you have included the reflection of the mast in the composition, but the reflection is not really strong enough to demand so much of the image. I think more space above and left of the yacht could help the composition.

#3. Again as with #2 gorgeous colouring, IMO the same comments as #2 apply equally in this image. Also, the mountain is "fighting for position" with the yacht.

#4. This one really stands out for me. Very good colours (pink to blue transition is superb), a good composition, and in this shot the reflections of the masts are sufficiently strong to be in the picture. One tiny weeny thing I might consider, would be to crop the three white framed cabin windows from the right hand side.
    This is a very beautiful shot Giannis - well done!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Giannis,

Here's my take;
    #1: I think the foreground water will support the image, the only thing that I'd change is to move the yacht onto the left hand third, by cloning if necessary

#2: This one is my favourite; although I'd like a touch more space above the mast, I'd also agree with Rob and ideally have had it placed more towards the right hand side, almost on a third.

#3: If shot a few seconds earlier, so the yacht complimented the mountain, rather than competed with it, this would be much better.

#4: I might be more impressed with this if it were presented bigger, say 1024px tall. I also think you could crop 15% off the bottom edge and never miss it.

Hope that helps,

Dave, Rob,

Thank you both. You have been very, very helpful. Your thoughts will be taken into account.