Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Silverfast Scanning Questions......

Silverfast Scanning Questions......

Hi Guys. I've been away for a while pursuing my 'other love' - film photography (i.e. the 'Analog' side).

I have an Epson V750 Pro scanner and I need to scan some negatives and wondered if you have any suggestions on a couple of very irritating niggles:

1) When I tried to load the 'Silverfast Ai' software provided with the scanner, it loads all the files but then I get a message saying:

"This program can only be installed on versions of Windows designed for the following processor architectures x86"

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on a new Advent Core 2- Quad with 6Gb of SDD Ram. When I check the 'Explore' menu it tells me that it's stored the Silverfast files in a folder called Program Files x86 - so I presume I already have the correct 'architecture'. I'm at a loss.........

Secondly, I use Nikon Capture NX2 for PP work. I can scan negs from the V750 into all manner of formats but I'd like to use TIFF and JPEG. However, when I try to open the files I've created, NX2 gives me a message about them not being compatible.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solved a similar problem? Please bear in mind that I'm far from computer literate, so please draw me a picture or give me a list as I will be completely lost otherwise.

Many thanks,

Paul.

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Re: Scanning Questions......

Quote Originally Posted by The Analog Kid View Post
    1) When I tried to load the 'Silverfast Ai' software provided with the scanner, it loads all the files but then I get a message saying:

"This program can only be installed on versions of Windows designed for the following processor architectures x86"
    Are you running the 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium? Seems to be the likely problem. Last I checked there was not a 64-bit compatible version of Silverfast. The best alternative for Vista 64 is to use VueScan.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on a new Advent Core 2- Quad with 6Gb of SDD Ram. When I check the 'Explore' menu it tells me that it's stored the Silverfast files in a folder called Program Files x86 - so I presume I already have the correct 'architecture'. I'm at a loss.........

Secondly, I use Nikon Capture NX2 for PP work. I can scan negs from the V750 into all manner of formats but I'd like to use TIFF and JPEG. However, when I try to open the files I've created, NX2 gives me a message about them not being compatible.
    Not too familiar with NX2, but what type of files are you trying to open?

Re: Silverfast Scanning Questions......

Thanks McQ.

Second point first, I'm creating and storing TIFF and JPEG files using the Epson V750. However, when I fire up Capture NX2 (which supposedly allows processing of JPEGs and TIFFs, I get a message about incompatibility. Weird. I'll drop a line to both EPSON and Nikon to see if either of them can shed any light.

The annwer to your first question is that I honestly don't know, and I've no idea how I can find out. However, I'll check out VueScan and, if it's not too expensive, I'll get a copy as the scanner's pretty useless without it.

Cheers. Paul.