Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera upgrade

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Camera upgrade

Hi all

I am currently using a Canon 350d but I want to upgrade to something a bit better, I would like to stay with a canon so I can keep using my lenses, the 60d comes to mind.
    Any opinions or recommendations are welcome.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Camera upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by TobyMac View Post
    Hi all

I am currently using a Canon 350d but I want to upgrade to something a bit better, I would like to stay with a canon so I can keep using my lenses, the 60d comes to mind.
    Any opinions or recommendations are welcome.
    Hi Tobias,

May I be an awkward so-and-so and ask why you want to upgrade?
    What is it about the 350D that you find is somehow restricting your photography?

That'll help us work out whether the 60D is going to help, or something else will be better.
    Also, is there a budget?

Thanks,

What is your budget and are we talking new, secondhand, or either?

I'm partly wondering if you need a camera for a specific purpose, such as fast focus/shutter speed or video option. And also, would a cheaper option enable you to spend more money on new lenses; or do you currently have sufficient?

A friend recently purchased a 60D and he is happy with it; although I shan't be getting rid of my 40D to purchase one. I suppose if I had to replace my 40D tomorrow, with a different model, it would have to be the 7D.

ps. I see that while I was typing Dave came back with a similar answer.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 31st August 2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: extra line.

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

The budget will kinda depend on what I want to get as I will have to save up money anyway.
    The reason I want to look for something new is because I noticed that even at an ISO of say 800 my pictures start to get very grainy but when I switched to an ISO of 1600 on a friends 60D there was hardly any grain, also I want to print some pictures at around A3 size sometime soonish but with the 8 megapixels from my 350D the quality of t he prints isn't that amazing anymore.
    Don't get me wrong I love my 350D I just feel like i'm missing out on some of the advances that the 60D has.
    Also I would prefer new, I'v had some bad experiences with second hand stuff here.

Real Name
    Kathy

If all you want is better high iso and higher resolution, a 600D (T3i) might be a better low-cost choice. The 60D has better ergonomics, better build and usability features, and the flip-out LCD, but the 600D more or less shares a sensor/processor with the 60D, so on sensor features, it'll be comparable, and it'll have similar controls, size, and build to your XT/350D. Also (big plus) it has a flash master in the pop-up and a better AF system over the 350D's 7-pt array.

Go for the 60D if you want the higher burst rate, dual wheel controls, and all cross-type AF sensors. Otherwise, staying with a dRebel might be the way to go.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by TobyMac View Post
    The reason I want to look for something new is because I noticed that even at an ISO of say 800 my pictures start to get very grainy but when I switched to an ISO of 1600 on a friends 60D there was hardly any grain, also I want to print some pictures at around A3 size sometime soonish but with the 8 megapixels from my 350D the quality of t he prints isn't that amazing anymore.
    Hi Tobias,

Are you seeing this grain when looking at the whole image, or just when pixel-peeping at 100%?

Real Name
    Richard

Perhaps I can help or why I didn't like my 350D...

I bought a 350D when I was shooting a 10D. I planned to use it as a second camera and also wanted to be able to use EFS lenses but, I really never liked shooting with the 350D because of the following. However, my reasons did not include lack of image quality which was just fine on my 350D...

It was too small and lightweight so it would not balance well with a heavy lens... I bought a battery grip which helped somewhat...

I didn't like the control system of the 350D. I missed the two dial setup of the 10D...

I didn't like using two different batteries but, I am again in that situation with my xxD cameras and the 7D. That is just something I have to live with...

I really didn't like the comparatively miniscule LCD because I had a hard time viewing my images and an especially hard time viewing the menu...

Piggy-backing on the above statement. The 350D forced me to do a lot of parameter changing using the menu; more than when using my 10D...

Along those lines, I missed the LCD on top of the camera. I got used to using this to frequently check and change my shooting parameters...

However the thing that I hated most about the 350D was that the button controlling the mode was alongside the LCD on the rear of the camera. My shooting hand thumb would inadvertently press this button, changing the mode. When I tripped the shutter and did't hear the click of the shutter and slap of the mirror and realized that the self-timer was cooking off, I would say "OH SHUCKS!" (actually the terminology was a bit stronger but started with "S") "I did it again!" Sure it was operator error but, I have never accidently moved the mode dial on any of my xxD cameras. It may seem like a small thing but, small things count in photography...

I tried to remedy this with a Delkin LCD Pop-Up Shade but, that was a greater PITA than changing the modes accidently because I had to open the shade everytime I wanted to view the LCD and close it before I could begin shooting...

I found my first refurbished camera, a 30D, at a great price and bought it. The 350D now has a happy home wearing my old 28-135mm IS lens and living with my daughter and son in law. He thinks the 350D is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So it's, "Different Strokes For Different Folks!"

I eventually purchased another refurbished DSLR, a 40D, and shot for years using a combination of 30D and 40D. I finally purchased the 7D (again refurbished - this time through the Canon Loyalty program) and absolutly love it...

Regarding your upgrade... I don't think I would have been happy switching from the 40D to the 60D but; I would have been very happy with the 60D if I had been shooting with a 350D. That is one heck of an upgrade!

I would recommend if you are financially able, to retain your 350D as a second and backup camera despite what upgrade you purchase. You could not get a large amount for the 350D selling it used (which is why I gave mine to my son-in-law) and it is very handy having a second camera and at times essential to have a back-up body...

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Re: Perhaps I can help or why I didn't like my 350D...

Thanks for all the advise guys, the funny thing is, here in SA a new 600D costs more or less the same as a 60D does, so I will have to see.

Hi Richard, after reading your comment you pretty much sum up all the reasons I want to change, that whole thing with switching on the self timer by accident has ruined me a whole bunch of shots in the past.
    And I will definitely be keeping my 350D, but I'l have to start a Camera fund asap