Thread: Photographically speaking...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Photographically speaking...

David duChemin is coming up with a new book entitled: Photographically speaking: A deeper look at creating stronger images. Here is the video preview of what the book is all about. although its only a short video. If you will listen attentively as to what was being said, you would realize that he had already shared a lot of gems about making good photographs. Enjoy.

Real Name
    Janis

Re: Photographically speaking...

Interesting that he should say that his students don't know how to speak about photographs, given that they have probably grown up immersed in the predominantly visual culture that now surrounds us. I spent most of this morning reading A Primer of Visual Literacy, which has been on my bookshelf for thirty years or more. (I have a great collection of unread books.) Even back in the 70's, the author was bemoaning the lack of schooling in visual literacy, and how much more visual is our culture, now? Anyhow, despite the book being somewhat dated, I'm finding it has a lot to say to me, some of it echoes of what I have learned here and the little I have read of duChemin, and some of it new. It suggests terrific exercises at the end of each chapter, and it's giving me great ideas for monthly challenges, in the event I ever win one.

Real Name

Hello, Janis. I think what David meant with "his students not knowing how to speak about photographs" is on how to share their reaction with a photograph. Some would simply say "I like it." but unable to pinpoint exactly what is it about the image that they like. Photography, like language has its own sets of grammars like light, lines, curves, colors, and such. By learning these "grammars" then we can be more knowledgeable on how to effectively share the vision and concept that we have about our images. On a personal note, this aspect of photographic grammar helped me a lot on refining my images and how I edit them.
    Last edited by jiro; 26th August 2011 at 11:12 PM.

Real Name
    Janis

Yes, that's exactly what my author means by visual literacy, the unique alphabet, grammar and syntax, if you will, of visual art. It is fascinating stuff and I am only sorry I have been so long getting around to learning it.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what my author means by visual literacy, the unique alphabet, grammar and syntax, if you will, of visual art. It is fascinating stuff and I am only sorry I have been so long getting around to learning it.
    There's a certain saying my friend used to tell me most of the time: "You can only change the things that you are aware of." Now that we are aware of the grammars of photography, I think it'd be a greater tool for us to evaluate our images and also to know how to interpret and objectively comment on the works of others. Good luck, Janis.

Real Name
    Mike

Thank you for sharing that clip Willie.

As a new entrant into the modern world of photography, I can honestly say that it can be daunting at times trying to understand all of the concepts involved, and for some of us, it takes awhile [or even much longer] until the time comes when we can actually feel or envision that abstract element that so many others with years of experience simply take for granted.

After hearing him speak, I have no doubt his book can teach me more in a day than I would come to understand on my own in a years time, if ever.

Found the book on Amazon; it is due out Oct. 23rd, and I've pre-ordered a copy.

Mike

Real Name

Good luck, Mike. I have been helped tremendously by some of duChemin's books. I hope that it would be the same with you.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    As a new entrant into the modern world of photography, I can honestly say that it can be daunting at times trying to understand all of the concepts involved, and for some of us, it takes awhile [or even much longer] until the time comes when we can actually feel or envision that abstract element that so many others with years of experience simply take for granted.
    Totally agree with you here, Mike.

David duChemin might help to show "the way" to a better understanding of the art of photography. Also see http://gallery.davidduchemin.com

Philip