Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Voice of Fire

Real Name
    Janis

Voice of Fire

A spin on a sunset inspired by insomnia and Barnett Newman. My fellow Canucks may get the Newman reference.

Voice of Fire

Let me know what you think.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Voice of Fire

That catches the attention.

Had to look up what Canucks was ( I like their website).

What works, I think, is that hard edge down the right hand side. I was trying to imagine it with the edge similar to that on the left and it wouldn't work. Inspired idea.

The light and shadow give a wonderful texture to the whole thing.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post

Had to look up what Canucks was ( I like their website).
    Huh? We Canadians have only one website? I think you are going to have to point me in the direction you are looking.

What works, I think, is that hard edge down the right hand side. I was trying to imagine it with the edge similar to that on the left and it wouldn't work. Inspired idea.
    Maybe I should do all of my processing at 2 am.

The light and shadow give a wonderful texture to the whole thing.
    Thanks, Donald.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Huh? We Canadians have only one website? I think you are going to have to point me in the direction you are looking.
    Aahh. I maybe got it wrong. I googled and got to here.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Aahh. I maybe got it wrong. I googled and got to here.
    Ah, I thought that might be the case. "Canuck" is slang for Canadian, so the Vancouver Canucks are the equivalent, if not the equal, of the Montreal Canadiens.

Real Name
    Seri

Hi Janis,

I can't see a thing I'd change in that one. I love the way a change of orientation has transformed a peaceful sunset into a dynamic pillar of fire I like it much better than any of Newman’s zips (but wish he hadn’t destroyed all his expressionist stuff as I like that genre very much).

I’ve always liked ‘Canuck’ – it feels like a friendly word to me, but I’ve never used it when writing to Canadian friends as I’ve not been sure if it’s an affectionate or a slightly derogatory term. I’d be grateful if you could put me right on that one

I was going to say that I hoped your insomnia had eased by now, but if you can do work like this as a result, I’m a bit torn now

Cheers,

Seri (who’ll be having fun rotating and playing with past sunsets today, thanks to you )

Real Name
    Bobo

Imaginative presentation. Love it.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Janis, a very catchy image. Before I saw Donald's post, the first thing that came into my head was a river of fire and wondered if it would look like a waterfall of lava if it were mirrored?

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Seriche View Post
    I can't see a thing I'd change in that one. I love the way a change of orientation has transformed a peaceful sunset into a dynamic pillar of fire
    Thanks Seri, and welcome back! I must confess I learned the change of orientation trick from Canadian landscape photographer Courtney Milne. I once ordered a print of one of the images from his book Spirit of the Land from him and he mounted it upside down (under a signed matte). I wish I could show it to you, but I can't find a copy online. In any case, the rotation gave a wonderful dynamism to the image and turned it into a convincing abstract.

I like it much better than any of Newman’s zips (but wish he hadn’t destroyed all his expressionist stuff as I like that genre very much).
    I didn't know he called them 'zips' until today; thanks for that. In any case, our national gallery's purchase of his Voice of Fire (for $1.8M) was quite the scandal twenty years ago.

I’ve always liked ‘Canuck’ – it feels like a friendly word to me, but I’ve never used it when writing to Canadian friends as I’ve not been sure if it’s an affectionate or a slightly derogatory term. I’d be grateful if you could put me right on that one
    I've never felt it to be anything but affectionate. It may well have been used or taken as a pejorative in the distant past, but I don't think that is the case now.

Seri (who’ll be having fun rotating and playing with past sunsets today, thanks to you )
    Do share!!

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Imaginative presentation. Love it.
    Thanks, Bobo!

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Janis, a very catchy image. Before I saw Donald's post, the first thing that came into my head was a river of fire and wondered if it would look like a waterfall of lava if it were mirrored?
    Interesting idea, Frank, but I don't have the tools. Take it away if you like; let me know if you would like the RAW.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Janis, I'll give it a go but I can't do it right this minute. If you like how it turns out I'll do the RAW as well if you would like.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Janis, I'll give it a go but I can't do it right this minute. If you like how it turns out I'll do the RAW as well if you would like.
    OK, I couldn't wait to try it, Janis. I tipped the top? slightly to the right, mirrored the image without the black, and made it narrower to approximate the width of the original and flipped it to put the bright area at the top. What do you think?

Voice of Fire

I hope you like it!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 3rd September 2011 at 04:39 PM.

Real Name
    Janis

OK, I couldn't wait to try it, Janis. I tipped the top? slightly to the right, mirrored the image without the black, and made it narrower to approximate the width of the original and flipped it to put the bright area at the top. What do you think?

Voice of Fire

I hope you like it!
    Awesome, Frank! I think you have vastly improved it and made it better fit the title. Love it! Thank you!

Real Name
    Wendy

Very Cool Janis or should I say Hot. Seriously though, this is very striking - sometimes insomnia is a good thing.

You should contact the National Gallery - this is much better than the 1.8 million dollar original, and I'll bet you'd settle for a bit less.

Wendy

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Very Cool Janis or should I say Hot. Seriously though, this is very striking - sometimes insomnia is a good thing.
    Thanks, Wendy, but my effort was half-baked; Frank deserves the credit for seeing it through to its full potential.

You should contact the National Gallery - this is much better than the 1.8 million dollar original, and I'll bet you'd settle for a bit less.
    Or a lot (less). Btw, I have been meaning to point you and Katy to this exhibition of works from my other inspiration for this image, Courtney Milne.

Real Name
    Wendy

Well, I like the original and Franks rework, both great but with a different feel to them

OMG thank you so much for that link. Her work is beautiful. I have only had a chance to glance at a few, but have put it in my fav's so I can go back and check it out. If I am going to be influenced that is the kind of inspiration I am looking for.

I'm not sure Katy will see your link, but I'm sure she will love these, Perhaps you could send her and email

Wendy