Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Before and After

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Before and After

I couldn't find a related thread regarding this but I thought I would get it started. The thread should consist of an original shot followed by what you did with it after taking a final shot and any post prossesing, etc. I would like to see what you saw originally versus the final product. I'll start with a less than perfect photo....

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Re: Before and After

Before and After

Before and After

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    I couldn't find a related thread regarding this but I thought I would get it started. The thread should consist of an original shot followed by what you did with it after taking a final shot and any post prossesing, etc. I would like to see what you saw originally versus the final product. I'll start with a less than perfect photo....
    Maybe you can get more reactions to this in the Post Processing Section?
    It's an intriguing concept - I'm going to look to some of my photos and see what I can come up with.
    Is your example just a crop of the original? I like the reflections in the waterdrops.
    Last edited by Kris V; 18th August 2011 at 04:24 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Scott, I like the idea of posting the before and after images when looking for assistance on a post processing issue, in fact, that is exactly what I did with my Post Processing Test post.

Starting a thread where everyone posts their 'flavor of the month' photos is a problem from my viewpoint. The thread gets so long that it is difficult to find the constructive replies that pertain to a specific photo issue. I have gotten to the point where I ignore all 'post your ABC photos here' and look for the threads that have specific items of interest instead. I think this kind of thread would work for the 'nice photo' responses but if I am actually wanting constructive feedback I'll stick with the 'how do I solve this problem' single subject issue thread.

I'm not saying that this is not a good idea fo many others, and historically, folks respond, which is why the threads get so long in the first place.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hi Scott,

I had started a similar thread sometime back. Here is the link to it.

Real Name
    Keith

As a relative newcomer I'm with Frank on the 'post your ABC photos here' scenario although it obviously suits some, sorry!

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    As a relative newcomer I'm with Frank on the 'post your ABC photos here' scenario although it obviously suits some, sorry!
    I would also agree. The "post your ABC photos here" threads might do well on forums with fewer members, however with so many active members here that are submitting images, the thread soon becomes its own E-book..

Great work on catching the drops on the hose, btw..

Mike

Real Name
    Bill S

I don't know about the "post your ABC photos here" threads being completely useless, guys... I mean I personally regularly check and post to the Insects and Spiders threads. I don't think a lot of the posts made there are ones to solve any given problem, but rather to just share a cool shot. Often times, I don't even think the posters to such threads even expect responses (I certainly don't). If I want to discuss a particular shot, I start my own thread.

If you're skipping those threads, you're missing out on plenty of great photos. Don't feel the need to post comments in them, I agree - they get lost.... but at the same time, those ABC threads do have some function.

However, I think the theme needs to be one that works well to post without follow-up comments. The concept for this particular thread - Before and After - seems to warrant conversation about why you saw what you saw, and what you did to get the After. So I agree that in this case, such a thread might not work as well.

Sorry to hijack your thread for our little soapbox discussion, Scott.

- Bill

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Bill, I agree that there is a place for the 'post you ABC Photos here' and it does provide a place to look at spider or landscape shots, particularly if you are looking for ideas on how to shoot similar images.

I also agree with your comments on the relativity of the theme involved. My concern (that I'm sure not everyone will agree with), was that a Before and After invites an analysis of the specific techniques used to get from Before to After. Now that is something that I would REALLY like to learn from but if the responses are buried in 37 pages of replies, for me, it becomes too lost to be of any real use.

Additionally, if I post to that thread, finding the specific replies to my post can get very tiresome. Every time anyone posts anything to the thread I would have repeat the search to see if it was a reply to my posting.

I finally came to the point that I ignore these threads unless I am searching for something specific about the topic. Even then, finding what I am looking for is very time consuming and may not even exist amongst the pages of replies.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 18th August 2011 at 09:16 PM.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

No worries Bill. Better to be hijacked in a forum than in a 747! I was threadjacked.... lol. Regardless, the discussion has been interesting to say the least.

My intention was perhaps miscommunicated to some extent. It wasn't meant to be about post processing, per se. My thought was to initially post a general image of a scene (i.e. this is basically what I saw with the naked eye) followed by the (hopefully) more artistic photo that resulted. Obviously, my second shot wasn't a crop of the first. It had just rained really hard, I looked at the hose and decided I was going to try and get a shot of the water drops.

While this won't work with all subjects, it would be informative to see what some of the better photographers saw initially that lead them to believe there was a perspective worthy of creative documentation. While the final image may well have some post processing involved that wasn't the purpose the primary purpose.

I am relatively new at this and seem to be getting some of the basics down. Unfortunately, I have been kind of waiting for photography to happen to me rather than seeing or creating interesting shots. This was an attempt to get out of a little rut by learning from others.

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    No worries Bill. Better to be hijacked in a forum than in a 747! I was threadjacked.... lol. Regardless, the discussion has been interesting to say the least.

My intention was perhaps miscommunicated to some extent. It wasn't meant to be about post processing, per se. My thought was to initially post a general image of a scene (i.e. this is basically what I saw with the naked eye) followed by the (hopefully) more artistic photo that resulted. Obviously, my second shot wasn't a crop of the first. It had just rained really hard, I looked at the hose and decided I was going to try and get a shot of the water drops.

While this won't work with all subjects, it would be informative to see what some of the better photographers saw initially that lead them to believe there was a perspective worthy of creative documentation. While the final image may well have some post processing involved that wasn't the purpose the primary purpose.

I am relatively new at this and seem to be getting some of the basics down. Unfortunately, I have been kind of waiting for photography to happen to me rather than seeing or creating interesting shots. This was an attempt to get out of a little rut by learning from others.
    Scott,
    After reading your updated explanation, I think the idea is awesome!
    I know with me, I'll see something and take the photo, but many times I don't know what prompted me to take the photo. This exercize would take the "gut" out of it and force me to think about the process before taking the shot. I'm not sure I could actually do it, since so much of what I do is "gut"; however, reading about other people's thought process may actually help me interpret the gut.
    It's a very interesting concept and I look forward to learning from the result. I know it will make me start to analyze the "why" more, which can only help.
    frankie

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Thanks a bunch Frankie. I think you understood what I was trying to get done here. Hopefully, some of the other experts will chime in...