Thread: EXIF Data

Real Name
    Andrew

EXIF Data

Hey everyone - I know this is probably a really silly question, but computers are not really my thing! I've noticed that after posting some photos, people have commented on my EXIF Data, which is great - I'm all ears!! But, I would like to know how you get that data, say if I was looking at another photo on the forums here at CiC.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Re: EXIF Data

Hi Andrew, I think that is a great question and I would like to know too. Is EXIF the same as METADATA? Whats the difference and how does it work, what is it for?
    Last edited by Squidgy; 7th August 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Real Name
    Andrew

It is the same as Metadata - I just assumed that we, in North America called it Metadata, and across the pond in the UK it was EXIF!?! Hopefully we get some good advice!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

You can use this one. It's freeware: http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/

If you use Firefox as your browser there is a free add-on that will let you view the exif info of an image from the internet: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...n/exif-viewer/

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Andrew

That's all I needed to know! Thanks Jiro!

Real Name
    Jim

You need to do a search for EXIF readers.I use Kuso.Another I'm familiar with is Opanda.They are free programs.When you have one loaded you can right click on an image here and if there is EXIF info you will be able to see it.

Real Name
    Andrew

Eureka! It works!!! Thanks Jiro!!

And, thanks for the extra advice Jim.

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    It is the same as Metadata - I just assumed that we, in North America called it Metadata, and across the pond in the UK it was EXIF!?! Hopefully we get some good advice!
    LOL! Thanks Andrew, I dont get out much!

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    If you use Firefox as your browser there is a free add-on that will let you view the exif info of an image from the internet: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...n/exif-viewer/

Hope this helps.
    It sure does help. Thanks for sharing the link..!

Mike

Real Name
    Remco

Small addition:
    Metadata is all data in an image file that is not the image itself. To assure that program B can read what A has written, there are standard formats, of which EXIF is one. EXIF is the one cameras use (with often a part in private format, called makerdata), but there are other formats (IPTC, XMP) used by PP programs and such to store captions, keywords, copyright and licensing info, and such.

The FF add-on reads the EXIF data (except for the makerdata, afaik), but not the other metadata

Real Name
    Dariusz Kowalczyk

IrfanView is quite good.
    And ExifTool
    Sample path for shortcut:
    "E:\Exiftool\exiftool.exe" -a -u -w txt "E:\image.jpg"
    It creates image.txt file with many Exif tags and their values in the same directory as an image. Potentially ExifTool can read hundreds or maybe even more tags.

Maybe metadata is everything except images and thumbnails themselves ?

Actually EXIF consists of three main image file directories IFD (such tables with columns and rows):

1) TIFF (0 IFD)
    2) Exif
    3) MakerNote

Each of rows in these directories and in next ones can contain
    - "direct" value (data), like camera model, aperture value, number of exposure program etc. or
    - pointer (offset) to other IFD or offset to data block (and it's size). Data block can look like an entire list of data or only one row, but larger then row in original IFD or data block (it is used when data size does not fit the rowsize in an original IFD or data block).

One of rows in TIFF IFD contains offset to Exif IFD, one of rows in Exif IFD points in turn at Makernote IFD.
    TIFF IFD contains also rows pointing at GPS IFD, Next IFD and Primary Image Data.
    Some of other rows also point at next tables or data blocks (lists), and next, and next ones. Especially MakerNote (tons of camera settings, additional smaller images, especially in RAW files). This is an entire tree.
    (everything starts from TIFF Header pointing at TIFF IFD)
    Most interesting data regarding exposure are located in Exif Directory and some of MakerNote child data blocks.

Code:
    TIFF Header --> TIFF (0 IFD) --> Exif IFD --> MakerNote IFD
                                 --> GPS IFD
                                 --> 1st IFD (Thumbnail Data)
                                 --> Primary Image Data
    Some of informations in these tables and datablocks can duplicate. Especialy those in MakerNote (and it's child directiries and datablocks) with TIFF or Exif.

TIFF, Exif and GPS IFD formats are universal, MakerNore IFD structure (and it's multiple childs) depends on company and it's file format.

http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF
    schema - Page 15
    Last edited by darekk; 8th August 2011 at 04:54 PM.