Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Avianto

Real Name
    Terrence

Avianto

Avianto is a conference centre near the Cradle of Mankind in South Africa.

The Bicycle
    Avianto
    The Portal
    Avianto

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Avianto

For me, the bicycle shot is more interesting, Terrence. I like the colors a lot. I would really love to see this shot with a more dramatic light to show some shadows of the bike. Nice find and good shot.

Real Name
    Terrence

Willie you are quite correct, I do feel what would have benefitted the image would have been the soft lighting that you get in the UK and Europe instead of our harsh South African sunlight. I would have liked to have had the opportunity to get a shot of this early in the morning or late afternoon but this was not possible.

Real Name
    Chris

Please forgive my rather intrusive edit, but I found some things about the shot which if improved the next time you come across such an image, will make for a stunning composition.

First, I found nothing to the right of the rear tire (tyre), which did anything to support or promote the bicycle or the rest of the composition, so it had to go.

There is something either in front or attached to the bicycle's front wheel, that if not included in the shot wouldn't be so distracting (and sometimes it just has to be included, so again, it is a bit picky).

You can compensate somewhat for the lack of shadow by using Jiro's B&W blending action as an additional layer. I did and was able to pull up the darker parts of the wall, thus pushing the bicycle a bit more toward the foreground.

However, to me, the biggest distractor is the over-sharpening which left major haloes which I have noted with a blue pencil. Next time, while sharpening, look carefully for the haloes which are created by sharpening, some methods more prevelent than others.

I like the shot and if at all possible, I would go back and do a reshoot.

Avianto

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    There is something either in front or attached to the bicycle's front wheel, that if not included in the shot wouldn't be so distracting (and sometimes it just has to be included, so again, it is a bit picky).
    Chris, I may be wrong but I believe that object is a rather unique bicycle stand. I found it to be intriguing as I have never seen one designed that way before so for me, it adds 'character'.

Real Name
    Richard

This is an interesting image. However, looking at that bare metal seat, I am sure that the rider would become "saddle sore" or develop calluses between his legs. OTOH, the front wheel doesn't seem to have a tire on it. Maybe the bike has just stood there for ages, not worth stealing. I am sure it would have some interesting stories to tell...

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    This is an interesting image. However, looking at that bare metal seat, I am sure that the rider would become "saddle sore" or develop calluses between his legs. OTOH, the front wheel doesn't seem to have a tire on it. Maybe the bike has just stood there for ages, not worth stealing. I am sure it would have some interesting stories to tell...
    Richard,

The bike is obviously a display piece. It looks like the metal piece on the front wheel is bolting it to the ground. Plus it looks to me missing a front tire... and most critically, a chain.

- Bill