Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Glenariff Waterfalls - Northern Ireland

Real Name
    Niall

Glenariff Waterfalls - Northern Ireland

I spent last Monday hiking around Glenariff Forest Park, in County Antrim (Northern Ireland) - it really is a stunning place with fantastic scenery.

One of the walks is a 4.5km trail called the "Waterfalls Trail", which takes you along the path of the Glenariff River and its waterfalls.

With my camera and tripod in hand, I took the opportunity to practice some long exposure shots - these are some of my favourites from the day.

Ess-na-Larach waterfall in Glenariff by niallc99, on Flickr

Ess-na-Crub Waterfall by niallc99, on Flickr

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Glenariff Waterfalls - Northern Ireland

Both beautiful Niall!

The first one I find particularly interesting. My eyes keep walking me up the wooden walkway around the top and down the waterfall and back round again ad infinitum!

it's a very pleasing image indeed!

Real Name
    Niall

Thanks Tommy

I was really pleased with first one myself - it almost reminded me of an Escher drawing, with the steps and flowing water....

I had taken a load more with the walkway deliberately out of the shot, but when I got home I definitely preferred the photos that included the walkway.

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Both beautiful Niall!

The first one I find particularly interesting. My eyes keep walking me up the wooden walkway around the top and down the waterfall and back round again ad infinitum!

it's a very pleasing image indeed!

Real Name
    Wayne

Yes, keeping the path with its wooden railing in the shot works for me. Not only does the path lead into the picture, but the color of the railing repeats the rich earth tones to the side of the waterfall

The second picture is of course a spectacular subject. You have found the right shutter speed for creating a sense of movement in the cascading water, but I have a question about the pool at the bottom. It looks ever so placid and still, and therefore perhaps a little unnatural. I wonder if that is also an effect of the slow shutter speed. With the many mini-falls hitting the pool, I would expect to see some motion there...

or is this just the way it was?

Either way, you have achieved two very refreshing images, which are much appreciated at this time of the year.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Both are beautiful images, Niall! I like the way you used the shutter speed to capture the falling water as I would expect to see it if I could be there.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

I do love the first with the path and waterfall well positioned. Both are keepers they really draw you in. Looks like a beautiful location.