Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Macro of Lily Stamens

Real Name
    Keith

Macro of Lily Stamens

The shot is just under 1:1 magnification, the front to back depth was about 20mm and the stamens about 10-15mm total height.

Macro of Lily Stamens

Canon 5D MkII Sigma 105mm macro lens + 1x25mm extension tube. 1/200th sec @ f8, 30 shot focus stack

My outdoor macro shooting rig can be seen here The flash snoot is made from a plastic milk bottle container and duct tape and is a push-fit on the flash.

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Macro of Lily Stamens

Keith,

Very nice stack. I love all the detail in the pollen on the petals.

What is the flash bracket you're using. I have a Seigelite right now, and it is just a tad rigid for my tastes and I was hoping to get/make something that had a bit more flexibility.

I also have a macro (2:1 magnification) of just some day lily stamens if you are interested. I haven't shared them yet because I think it needs a crop, but I haven't been able to pick one I liked yet.

- Bill

rob marshall

keith

Excellent shot. I was just about to shoot a stack of a thistle I just bought in from the garden, when I saw this. The most I have ever stacked is 12, I think. Thirty seems a lot. Do you do them on a calibrated rig, or just manually, as I do? Very nice work either way.

Real Name
    Keith

Thanks guys

Bill: The flash bracket is 30+ years old and I can't remember what make it is and there's no name on it. I removed the flash shoe and drilled it to suit the 1/4" bolt that holds the ball head. I look forward to seeing your shots, I don't post many in forums because they can tend to be a bit boring if you're not into macro's

Rob: Depending on the subject and magnification 30 shots is about average for me although I have successfully stacked over 75 on a test subject. No I don't have a calibrated setup, the link shows my hand-held rig which I use for the majority of my shots and if I use a tripod I try to knock up something from whats around to support the subject in the right place. For flowers in situ I find twigs, garden canes and the like, together with crocodile clips, ladies hair grips etc, make good temporary supports For living critters then its just a matter of stalking them and getting off as many shots as you can at the time - unfortunately it has a very high failure rate but it's fun and sometimes a limited depth of field can be very effective.
    Last edited by KeithH; 1st August 2011 at 07:05 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Thanks for sharing your setup, Keith. Very good macro shot.

Real Name
    Bill S

Keith,

Here you go...

Macro of Lily Stamens

I think my biggest problem is the OOF stamens on the right, but I can't figure out a way to crop them out. Normally I would dump something like this that I can't seem to get to work right, but for some reason, it manages to stick around and I keep coming back to it trying to figure it out.

Except for minimal RAW conversion adjustments, this is SOOC.

- Bill

Real Name
    Keith

Hmm, I see what you mean Bill but I'd just crop them out and go with the almost square format and carefully sharpened. Not very dynamic I know but I think the oof middle stamen will pull the eye in. If I was being real choosey I would have liked all three stamens to be in focus fora group like this. Still a good shot and I like it.

Keith

Real Name
    Bill S

Keith,

Yeah - I thought about a square crop too, but came to exactly what you said - that I preferred that they would have all been in focus then. I tried that and didn't like it. In the end, I think I'll probably just let this one linger.

- Bill