Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Online photography classes?

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Online photography classes?

I am wondering if there is any good online photography classes that I can take. With my work schedule, the kids starting school soon, and my spouses work schedule I simply don't have the time to go to the local Community College and take a class. I'm going to start working and going through the photography tutorials offered here, but I want some detailed photography courses.

Thanks in advance for the help.

KHarmon

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Re: Online photography classes?

Kris,
    http://www.kelbytraining.com/ has a very good selection of online classes that are more then just basics. It has the basics but will go though the whole system from capture to editing. Hope this helps. Also check the local library as they have DVD's for loan also. There should be a camera club around (http://www.lubbockcameraclub.com/).
    Hope this helps
    Sam

Real Name
    Richard

Often comunity colleges will offer online classes with a requirement for in-person attendance on or two times during the semester...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by KHarmon View Post
    but I want some detailed photography courses.
    Kris

Do you have ideas about what subjects you would like to cover in such courses? For example, are you meaning the technical aspects of your camera equipment, or are you thinking more about topics such as composition, exposure etc etc?

Such information willl help others on here to give you ideas and suggestions.

Real Name
    Ian

Nikon/Nik software offer regular webinars on a whole variety of subjects, although these often relate logically to their products. Another manufacturer who offers advice on things such as HDR and exposure are Phase One. Despite their Hi-end cameras, their software is pretty reasonably priced and the online videos are good 'sound bite' advice snippets. Otherwise I would suggest Mr Kelby and friends.

Real Name
    Nigel

If you want a subscription based training course then this is really good for the PP work, Lightroom or Photoshop etc . :-

http://www.lynda.com

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Kris

Do you have ideas about what subjects you would like to cover in such courses? For example, are you meaning the technical aspects of your camera equipment, or are you thinking more about topics such as composition, exposure etc etc?

Such information willl help others on here to give you ideas and suggestions.
    I'm still not completely comfortable with shooting digital so I would like to start out with the technical aspects of the camera. I have a pretty good feel for composing the photos that I shoot since I used to shoot a lot of film back in the 90's. I just recently got bit by the photography bug again and have moved into the digital realm. Once I fully understand the camera and it's capabilities I am going to jump into the post processing and learn what I can there.

Thanks for the help everyone.

KHarmon

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

At the risk of being a shill for a specific company: I took two courses two years ago (on macro photography) from this online company http://www.betterphoto.com/home.asp and was quite satisfied. The instructor and the students were excellent at critiquing and offering suggestions for improvement. The biggest caveat is you have to be prepared for emails trying to get you to take more courses, sign up for a site and so on. I simply delete the emails as they arrive; but then I am a pretty hard sell so for me it's like water off a duck. Be forewarned however. Also the instructor, Brenda Tharp, is no longer listed as an instructor so take my advice with the requisite grain of salt due to the time since the course and my specific instructor experience.

This course might be worth checking out – www.inst.org/photography-courses/become.htm

Real Name
    Richard

Here's a plethora of information regarding online courses...

http://photo.net/photography-educati...Online+Courses

Real Name
    Maria

I did a course with the Open University ( http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...ourse/t189.htm ) a few years ago. At that time I had just joined a camera club and they'd mostly do digital. I had been doing B/W film for some years until then and found the OU course quite helpful both to review the basics of photography and to learn about digital and how to do some rather interesting things with Adobe Elements -the software came included with the course-
    It can be a bit time-consuming, depending on how keen you are on doing photographic assignments. If I had to do it again I'd try to pick spring or summer to have longer days to get out with my camera.

Good luck with your choice.

Maria
    www.mariaramil.com

*PS: not quite sure what you mean for 'detailed' courses... this one is quite broad and mentions lots of other sources for further study

Real Name
    Richard

Maria,

I visited your gallery at www.mariaramil.com. You have some very nice images there.

Richard

Real Name
    Keith

There are lots of good teaching sites on the net

One is www.geofflawrence.com/ Another is www.digital-photography-school.com

And the tutorials on this site are mind blowing!

Real Name
    John

You can find quite a few online courses in photography magazines and their online sites. Nikon has one called the "Mentor Series" which is a combination of lectures, field trips, and review. It's not really online as it is held in exotic locations such as Egypt, Greenland, etc.

For an oniine course, the New York Institute of Photography has very unique curriculum. You receive 30 lessons on DVD, you get photoo projects, a personal student advisor, a NYIP press card, and an assortment of other goodies. The cost is $700 if paid in full, $1,000 on an installment plan.

Keep in mind that I don't think anyone on this forum is an advocate for any ot the courses suggested. With organizations such as these it is a good idea to do a complete background check, either through the Better
    Business Bureau, or an accreditation organization. But like one of the other members commented, you can probably get the same quality assistance at a local community college for half the cost.

Real Name
    Maria

Oh, thank you Richard;
    Are you the reason for the upsurge in visitors in the last few days? double my average number of 2 per day! Well, there's hope then. The courses are good for learning photography, then there's all the other things, like getting out and testing the waters (showing your work and hoping others like it too)...
    Happy Xmas!
    Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Maria,

I visited your gallery at www.mariaramil.com. You have some very nice images there.

Richard

Real Name
    John

For the benefit of others who have a question similar to Maria's (your photos are great, btw).....I just learned that my local community college offers courses to those who are a little grey haired (not to mention any ages) for FREE. I've enrolled for the Winter Trimester! The college offers (for money) an associate degree in digital photography.....thus, a NUMBER of what appears to be good courses.