Real Name
    Scott Benz

Dragonfly

Thoughts welcomed!

Dragonfly

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Dragonfly

Simple, but good. You missed the focus by a tad but still a good shot for me. Nice work. Scott.

Real Name
    Bill S

Scott

I agree with Willie. Nice shot - I spend so much time trying to get right in on top of stuff and do 1:1 macro work, that I often forget to take shots from a little further out. Nicely done.

In case you're curious, that is a Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa) dragonfly.

- Bill

hello mate wonderful shot, i was wondering if you could tell me what lense you had on for that, im really starting to like these shots and want to get a lense that could produce such a shot

thanks damien

Real Name
    Scott Benz

f6.3 1/1250 Nikkor 70-300@290 iso 200. I was standing on a bridge between two holes on a golf course trying to track down a big hawk flying overhead when I kind of stumbled onto the dragonfly. Wish I had my new macro lens with me but I thought this turned out fairly well considering.

I just bought the AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR and still need some work with it. Seeing the detail of small object is terribly interesting and creating shots is a great deal of fun thought I am not very good at it yet. That is the lens I wished was on the camera for this shot.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Nice capture Scott,

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    I just bought the AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR and still need some work with it. Seeing the detail of small object is terribly interesting and creating shots is a great deal of fun thought I am not very good at it yet. That is the lens I wished was on the camera for this shot.
    The problem would be the dragonfly would be 3 x smaller in the frame unless you were able to get to one third the shooting distance, which sounds like it might have been an issue

I shoot dragonflies when I can, usually with the 70-300mm, but I did finally try my AF-S 105mm f/2.8 recently and getting close enough can be a problem - best advice is to spot one, wait until it takes off for a short flight and move a bit closer while they're away, then wait for them to return - they often do have favorite perches I find. Just repeat again and again until they fill the frame.

I must post some results sometime,

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Gave this another try with my macro 1:1 lens. How did I do?

Dragonfly

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    Gave this another try with my macro 1:1 lens. How did I do?

Dragonfly
    Pretty darn good, is that full frame or a crop?

We don't seem to have them that colour here, I guess that's what, 2 or maybe 3 inches long (in teh body)?

Real Name
    Scott Benz

It was cropped quite a bit. The original was a tick overexposed as well and took some post processing. It was about 3 inches long give or take...