Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Colin's 'School of Portraiture' Tutorials

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Colin's 'School of Portraiture' Tutorials

I've read them and the information is great as well as the lessons. My question is... when at the beach/ocean it is hard to find shade. It is more like the sun is out or it is not. The ocean makes a beautiful background but... We are east coast USA so the sun rises over our coast... when is the best time for shooting at the beach? Sunset when the sun is not bright and causing squinting, or that brief period of time after the sun has mostly set? I don't have anything other than the on-camera flash so nothing fancy as far as that goes?

Thank you for any help.

Real Name
    Kay

Re: Colin's 'School of Portraiture' Tutorials

A very good question Mary!
    The only way I know would be to 'overpower' the sun - thus still having your subject brighter than your background. BUT the only technique to do that, which I know of involves the use of a stronger off-camera flash.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Colin's 'School of Portraiture' Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    A very good question Mary!
    The only way I know would be to 'overpower' the sun - thus still having your subject brighter than your background. BUT the only technique to do that, which I know of involves the use of a stronger off-camera flash.
    Thank you for your response, Kay. Hmmm... I don't have on off-camera flash, so I guess I'll just continue to try different things and then work in PP.