Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66

Thread: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

  1. #1
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    I carry (lug?) a Manfrotto 190XB with a Giottos MH1000-652 Ball Head on field trips.

    I've tried hand carrying it with the DSLR attached and it gets a bit heavy. Leaving the Camera attached can sometimes be a pain when I have to take the time to disconnect the tripod and find a place to put it while I'm trying to shoot moving wildlife.

    I've tried to use a clip to attach it to my belt loop but it bangs around too much while I'm hiking.

    I've tried carrying it in a bag strapped over my shoulder but I'm constantly adjusting it so that it doesn't fall off my shoulder.

    Has anyone found an effective way of carrying a tripod for an extended period of time?

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Frank

    Just rushed outside and made this one.

    This is my 'going out' arrangement. That's a Lowepro Vertex 200 AW with a couple of side bags added and a Manfrotto X55PROB with a 486RC2 head loaded into the holster. The filters are in one side bag and the 580EXII flashgun etc in the other.

    Once you get the straps properly adjusted and balanced, you can walk for miles with it.

    Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips
    Last edited by Donald; 30th July 2011 at 12:44 PM.

  3. #3
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Why thank you Donald for being so thoughtful! It appears that you have a very complete arrangement. Is that velcro holding the tripod to the back pack?

    I bring everything with me in the car but when I park and start to hike I usually leave the camera bag and take a zip-lock bag with filters, spair battery, memory and manual remote cable release in my pocket (or a tummy pack if I need a little more room). I use the Black Rapid for the DSLR and attach the two extra lens bags to my belt so that the lenses are easily swappable. All I need then is the iPod Shuffle and I'm off, listening to music and hands free to explore.

    Except, that is, for the tripod. <sigh> I could bring a back pack I suppose, and that would give me a lot of space for options (including the tripod and lunch!).

  4. #4
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Why thank you Donald for being so thoughtful! It appears that you have a very complete arrangement. Is that velcro holding the tripod to the back pack?
    No, Frank. It's held by pretty strong straps that clip into fixings that are equally strongly fixed onto the bag. If you look about just over half way up on the two legs that are sitting in the holster, you'll see the clip of one of the straps around those two legs. And then, just at the top of the bag, you see the main strap that goes around all three legs.

  5. #5
    ktuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,518
    Real Name
    Bill S

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I've tried hand carrying it with the DSLR attached and it gets a bit heavy. Leaving the Camera attached can sometimes be a pain when I have to take the time to disconnect the tripod and find a place to put it while I'm trying to shoot moving wildlife.
    Frank,

    When you say you've tried hand carrying, have you tried the technique of resting the tripod on your shoulder and the DSLR just behind your head (lens pointed down)? Kind of like carrying a rifle... I've used this technique semi-successfully in the past, but it does get tiring after a while, and you do need some sort of good shoulder pad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    This is my 'going out' arrangement. That's a Lowepro Vertex 200 AW with a couple of side bags added and a Manfrotto X55PROB with a 486RC2 head loaded into the holster. The filters are in one side bag and the 580EXII flashgun etc in the other.

    Once you get the straps properly set up, you can walk for miles with it.
    Donald,

    Very nice. I have a backpack on my list of things to buy on this month's credit card statement, and a decent tripod pouch like that is key I think. I am currently borrowing a friend's backpack and his tripod pouch is on the side of the pack... unfortunately, that makes the pack lopsided and very uncomfortable - plus his pack is a bit too large for my frame (I'm tall and skinny, while he is a bit more broad in the shoulders). Just some things to keep in mind if you go this route.

    - Bill

  6. #6
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Frank

    The other thing I would urge some thought about is carrying the tropod about witht eh camera loaded onto it.

    I was searching for the article I read, but couldn't find it, (I'm sure it was Alain Briot on the Nature Photographers site). In it he really cautioned people against the idea, saying that faults can develop and you can have an expensive bit of kit heading rapidly towards some hard rocks or water. He said that although it seems safe and people don't take such advice seriously, it is not a risk worth taking.

    Have to confess it scared me and I now never walk about with the tripod slung over my shoulder and the camera still on the end of it.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Frank

    Just rushed outside and made this one.

    This is my 'going out' arrangement. That's a Lowepro Vertex 200 AW with a couple of side bags added and a Manfrotto X55PROB with a 486RC2 head loaded into the holster. The filters are in one side bag and the 580EXII flashgun etc in the other.

    Once you get the straps properly adjusted and balanced, you can walk for miles with it.

    Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips
    My tripod will strap on similarly to this. I also have a Lowepro backpack only much smaller than this... I have a much smaller skillset.

  8. #8
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    When you say you've tried hand carrying, have you tried the technique of resting the tripod on your shoulder and the DSLR just behind your head (lens pointed down)? Kind of like carrying a rifle... I've used this technique semi-successfully in the past, but it does get tiring after a while, and you do need some sort of good shoulder pad.
    Hi Bill, yes, I've tried several methods and swap between left and right sides before my knuckles are dragging on the ground!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 30th July 2011 at 01:39 PM.

  9. #9
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    faults can develop and you can have an expensive bit of kit heading rapidly towards some hard rocks or water
    I agree. It makes me nervous even though I keep the camera strap wrapped firmly around my wrist in case the camera decides to detatch itself from the tripod. Also with this method is the increased risk that the lens will inadvertantly come in contact with something solid that I didn't notice. On the other hand, nobody messes with you when you have a club at the ready!

  10. #10
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    My tripod will strap on similarly to this. I also have a Lowepro backpack only much smaller than this... I have a much smaller skillset.
    Hi Mary, I may end up getting a backpack and now two folks have mentioned the Lowepro. I was hoping to avoid having to carry and remove a backpack to get to items like lenses and the tripod but there may not be effective options available for the carrying the tripod without a backpack.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Mary, I may end up getting a backpack and now two folks have mentioned the Lowepro. I was hoping to avoid having to carry and remove a backpack to get to items like lenses and the tripod but there may not be effective options available for the carrying the tripod without a backpack.
    I like having my hands free for things like my phone, dog leash... coffee... food.

  12. #12
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    I like having my hands free for things like my phone, dog leash... coffee... food.
    That's okay. If you had said 'make-up', we'd have had to ban you from the forum!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That's okay. If you had said 'make-up', we'd have had to ban you from the forum!
    What I put on my face before I leave the house is it....don't want to scare people or animals... but... I have Chapstick... but only the classic blue chapstick... everywhere... in my purse, in my backpack, in the car cubby compartment, in my deskdrawer. But, it has sunscreen so it's like a... necessity.

    And... of all the things to get banned from the forums for...

    http://chapstick.com/productdetail.a...me=Moisturizer

  14. #14
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    And... of all the things to get banned from the forums for...
    The Executive Board of CiC has just had an emergency meeting. It studied the website provided, took evidence from Rupert & James Murdoch and has decided ................ not to invoke a ban!

  15. #15
    Lon Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silverdale, WA; USA
    Posts
    358
    Real Name
    Lon Howard

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    I like the looks of that Lowerpro, Donald. The one other thing I have to account for is some kind of pad for my knees. I seem to be attracted to shots taken down low and in the Pacific NW that means lots of wet and grimy jeans, even when the weather is supposedly dry. I hate walking around with those knee pads gardeners use so I am currently stuffing a small rectangular pad into the backpack I use. It weighs nothing so no problem there but it is one more thing to manipulate.

    Somehow I can visualize some eyeballs rolling and lips mouthing, "you're worried about wet jeans and you call yourself a photographer?"

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The Executive Board of CiC has just had an emergency meeting. It studied the website provided, took evidence from Rupert & James Murdoch and has decided ................ not to invoke a ban!
    Phew. You have no idea how relieved I am. All my friends are here... for real.

  17. #17
    rpcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    13,181
    Real Name
    Richard

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    When I am shooting with a tripod, I use an OPTECH Dual Harness to carry a pair of cameras. The tripod head has a Arca Compatible Quick Release. One camera will have a RRS L-bracket and the other will have an Arca Compatible plate on the tripod ring. The quick release system allows me to mount and dismount the cameras quite quickly and easily...

    I will carry the tripod over my shoulder for short trips or on a sling (like a soldier carries a rifle) for longer walks...

    I don't usually carry a camera bag when I am out shooting. The two cameras are on the Optech Dual harness and all my accessories are in my photo vest...

    However, I did spluge and get a second tripod for hiking, travel and boonie tromping. My main tripod is a Giottos MT8180 which is a full size heavy duty tripod and which, although it is of carbon fiber material, is a fair load to carry. It is however, a wonderful tripod which is very versatile.

    My hiking and travel (it fits inside my check-on airlines suitcase) tripod is a modified SLIK Pro 330D which with a short center column and lightweight Adorama F-1 head only weighs two pounds, yet supports my camera and 70-200mm lens.

    Here is the little SLIK next to my full size Giottos...

    Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Here is my 70-200mm f/4L IS with camera mounted on the Aforama Flashpoint F-1 head...

    Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 30th July 2011 at 04:05 PM.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    I like the looks of that Lowerpro, Donald. The one other thing I have to account for is some kind of pad for my knees. I seem to be attracted to shots taken down low and in the Pacific NW that means lots of wet and grimy jeans, even when the weather is supposedly dry. I hate walking around with those knee pads gardeners use so I am currently stuffing a small rectangular pad into the backpack I use. It weighs nothing so no problem there but it is one more thing to manipulate.

    Somehow I can visualize some eyeballs rolling and lips mouthing, "you're worried about wet jeans and you call yourself a photographer?"
    I was raised in the Pacific Northwest... I totally understand. Until you've lived it... you just don't get it. I bet there is alsom some sort of pad that would roll up that you could strap to the outside. I'm thinking about something along the lines of the sleeping mats my guys use for backpacking... obviously you wouldn't want something that large but there are inexpensive ones that you can trim... or those cutting mats (for the kitchen counters) they are really thin and can roll up and would easily strap to a backpack or even slip between the backpack and tripod and stay put.

  19. #19
    Lon Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silverdale, WA; USA
    Posts
    358
    Real Name
    Lon Howard

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    or those cutting mats (for the kitchen counters) they are really thin and can roll up and would easily strap to a backpack or even slip between the backpack and tripod and stay put.
    ... or maybe even roll up and stick in a pocket someplace.

    You are the clever one!

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Carrying a Tripod on Field Trips

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    ... or maybe even roll up and stick in a pocket someplace.

    You are the clever one!
    That would work perfect.

    I can get all packed and ready to go... it's the actual shooting images I have a problem with.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •