Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Another work by the same student

Real Name
    Chris

Another work by the same student

Assignment was to capture something in a constant state of flux - hmmm, now wondering if you can actually have a constant and something in flux at the same time...no wonder she griped.

Another work by the same student

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Another work by the same student

You're really a difficult teacher, Chris. I'd be scared to have you as my mentor. Hahaha! Just kidding. Even I would have a hard time looking for a subject to shoot with that idea to start with. I have to commend your student for coming up with this one.

Real Name
    John

Are these students getting these wild ideas from you?

Real Name
    Chris

Not me...they copy my work or style and they get hammered.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Not me...they copy my work or style and they get hammered.

Real Name
    Ron

I would think a photo of the ocean shoreline would qualify as the tide is in a constant state of flux.

Real Name
    Tommy

Interesting idea Chris. Just for interest, what would you have submitted if you'd have been given the same assignment?

I'm not sure what I would have done, perhaps a waterfall?

PS. Do any of your students frequent these forums?

Real Name
    Chris

I would have definitely done something with water, or as I explored earlier this year, the movement of leaves in soft breezes. As to students frequenting, I did have a few last spring but they were forbidden from voting in the Minis so as to avoid any block voting for their favorite teacher (or against - ). There is a former film photography student now on the forum, Ninanative, who is holding her own pretty well in a couple of the mini comps. Given her short tenure in digital (less than 3 months), I told her, considering the level of photographer she is up against in this forum, to be up near the front is high tribute to all her hard work.

I give lots of hard assignments, such as depicting teenage angst, self-portraits, multiple reflections where they cannot be one of the objects in reflection, black on white, white on white, white on black and black on gray as I think that while I do need to cover the technique side of digital, it is equally important to get their brains out of the technical and into a place often frequented by Steve (wirefox), handled like Willie, with the aplomb and directness of Donald, and the eye of Rob...and achieved by almost everyone on this forum. I would not have them look to any guidance elsewhere until they explored each and everyone on here. As always, I am so humbled to walk among you and happy you are my extra hands and eyes as I guide these young lads and lasses.

Real Name
    Rob Farnell

Thanks Chris

Real Name
    Chris

I should have noted that I always do the assignments before I give it to them just tobe sure it is a doable task. I have retracted more than one just because of the limitedness of the assignment in having enough variety of end shots....and, I am always open to suggestionsrom anyone on here. I like to have them work sequentially and always at least 10 finished works in which there cannot be more than four takes per finished work (they have to submit in RAW and I can count the frames - it's like counting spent shell casings from the smoking gun.). It is the equivilent of the same number of film prints from a 24 exposure roll of film.