Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon flash adapter

Real Name
    Clive

Nikon flash adapter

I have recently been given a JESSOPS 300AF-Mi flashgun,but it has a SONY/MINOLTA hotshoe fitting. i have 2 questions:
    1. can i get an adapter to make this fit a NIKON
    2.is this flash unit compatable with a NIKON D5000(i dont want to damage my camera trying)

any advice would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Nikon flash adapter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pixel-TF-3...item43a7430aaa

Have a look at this. It seems like it will do the job.

Real Name
    Kathy

To physically mount the flash, all you need is a Minolta hotshoe adapter (a lot of folks in the UK have ordered from flashzebra.com).

Should be safe, but you might want to measure the sync voltage yourself. Some older flashes can have some pretty hefty sync voltages, and most dSLRs are limited to about 250V on the hotshoe. I did a google and saw an eBay listing that said its sync voltage was 8V, but always good to get official confirmation somewhere.

As for compatible... it will be for given values of compatible. The problem is going to be the electronic communication. Unless the flash has manual power setting controls, chances are it will only fire at full power. And it won't be able to understand anything the camera's telling it, except for the 'fire' signal: no iTTL, no CLS, no high-speed sync, nada. If it does have manual controls, though, where this flash could come in handy is in a Strobist-type setup.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Having Googled it, I gather it may have just High and Low settings, with Low being an estimated 1/4 power.

It has an angle-able head (but you know that) useful for bouncing the flash.

Can't say any more, sorry.

The link Kathy provided about measuring seems sensible, but I would definitely recommend a Digital meter over an old analogue (needle) meter for this kind of measurement. Mind your eyes when measuring, point the flash away fom you, if you slip with the meter probes, you risk seeing black rectangles over everything for quite a while - how do I know? don't ask

Real Name
    Clive

Thanks for the advice,not sure yet if im brave enough to risk using it.Dont want to ruin a £500 camera for the sake of a cheap flash unit. i will keep reading up on it and maybe Santa will bring me a "nikon" one.

thanks again for the advice