Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: High Speed Sync on 430EX

Real Name
    Richard

High Speed Sync on 430EX

In selecting high speed sync on my 430EX (and also on a 430EXii) I press the high speed sync button so that the high speed sync icon is shown in the flash unit LCD panel. According to page 16 of the 430EX and 430EXii manuals, you check to see that the high peed sync icon is shown in the viewfinder.

However, "If you set a shutter speed that is the same or slower than the camera's maximum flash sync speed the (high speed sync icon) will not be displayed in the viewfinder."

My question is: if the camera is set at a shutter speed that is the same or slower than the camera's maximum flash sync speed and the HSS icon is not being shown in the camera viewfinder, is the camera firing in HSS mode or has it reverted to standard sync?

The standard sync will, of course, provide full power firing while the multiple bursts in HSS will provide reduced power.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: High Speed Sync on 430EX

My assumption would be standard sync, because you don't need the multiple timed pulses from the strobe to cover the frame. With a slower shutter speed, the gap between the curtains is big enough for the entire frame to be uncovered during a single flash burst.

Real Name
    Richard

Kathy...

That is what I assume also since the HSS icon is not shown in the viewfinder of the camera when the shutter speed drops at or below the maximum sync speed of the camera.

Now, if the above is true. Why not leave the flash in HSS all the time and let it revert to standard sync whenever the sync speed is at or below the maximum? That way, you would not worry about the camera achieving only a maximum shutter speed of 1/250 second.

Real Name
    Kathy

No idea. I'm sure that you could, but my personal preference would be to choose whether or not I was using HSS, simply because of the power drain. Having it on all the time and having it switch on and off automagically is convenient, but it could also make me scratch my head and wonder why the hell I wasn't getting as much light as I'm used to with 1/8 power, and then crank my speedlight up to full power or somesuch, and possibly risk overheating.

Remember, that what HSS is accomplishing is very similar to that super-annoying "modelling light" mode. Use it too much or at too high power and you run the risk of overheating the flash. These things really aren't made to do tons of multiple high-speed bursts in a row at high power, despite having a Multi mode. That would be my take.

The more I use speedlights, the more it seems to be about nursing your power all you can and getting the most effect by stressing your batteries the least.