Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruits

Fruits

Kiwi -Fruits

Fruits

regards,
    Brigitte
    Last edited by Brigitte; 13th March 2009 at 07:46 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Fruits

Hi Brigitte,

Out of interest, what do you call the fruit in the first photo?

Named "Kiwi Fruit" because of the resemblance to the ubiquitous NZ flightless bird. Very good marketing, correct name is "Chinese Goosberry".

Strange related topic if you have a latex allergy you're likely to have one to kiwi fruits too. My ex was allergic to them and that's how found out abou link (hehehe it was always funny if I'd eaten them and forgot to mention it because her throat swelled up).

I always eat the skin and have for years, wasn't long ago a friend looked at me like some kind of monster and exclaimed "wtf! You're not supposed to eat the skin", is this true? It's never done me any harm so I don't care (coming from the man who used to peel and eat lemons that doesn't mean much ).

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    Named "Kiwi Fruit" because of the resemblance to the ubiquitous NZ flightless bird. Very good marketing, correct name is "Chinese Goosberry".
    Hi Bill,

I suspect that the "rename" was more of a marketing ploy than because of the resemblence to our native bird.

Wikipedia has a wee bit on it ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit

Fruits

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Bill,

I suspect that the "rename" was more of a marketing ploy than because of the resemblence to our native bird.

Wikipedia has a wee bit on it ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit

Thanks, Colin for sharing the Link.

Brigitte, on return for the kiwi fruit let me add a vegetable..
    Fruits

My fruit ?

Fruits

Beautiful pictures
    Still a little more fruit and vegetables and we can cook a Dinner.

regards,
    Brigitte

Strawberries

Fruits

Fruits

Congratulations Brigitte. Some very nice close ups. I particularly like the strawberries

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I agree with Graham (wirefox), nice close ups, Brigitte.

I was going to do Strawberries, but I'll find something else now as we have them covered, and kiwifruit, tomato and jalapinos? - I'm not good at identifying them, let alone eating them!

Graham??? I usually stir out of slumber when people shout "Steve" and waft a mars bar under my nose...droopy drawers or dolly daydream maybe but Graham...Graham

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

My most humble apologies Steve,

I'm sure there's a Graham around here somewhere.

That does it; I'm going to have to keep a list

Cheers form, Henry
    (which prompted me to look elsewhere when the penny dropped)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I agree with Graham (wirefox), nice close ups, Brigitte.

I was going to do Strawberries, but I'll find something else now as we have them covered, and kiwifruit, tomato and jalapinos? - I'm not good at identifying them, let alone eating them!

Dear Dave and STEVE!

Thank you very much!

One aspect of fruit photography that most people overlook is their value in perfecting lighting techniques. Have a look at the shots shown. Without meaning to be critical of the shots, think about, and practice, lighting variations to either eliminate shadows or use them to accentuate portions of the fruit, Try variations on eliminating, or using for effect, the harsh lighting spots that also appear.

You will find that the lessons learned lighting the varied shapes of fruit will benefit you in nearly all other lighting situations.

I like the new kiwis in the first pic (now they are cut showing the green insides). I got a dragon fruit for 30p because it was at the end of sell-by-date, I thought about photographing it but ended up eating it. I was disappointed, the fact they are usually extortionate prices made me want to eat one for ages thinking they must taste great but they taste like pricklypear fruit or very weak melon (ie. not worth £2 something when you can buy a dirty big melon for the same price). Oh dear, I'm ranting about fruit.......help help! My point is dragon fruits look much better than they taste so i think they'd make a great photo if anyone has any. I think that's prbably the strangest photo request I've ever made .

Speaking of fruit prices, which we weren't, I'd be interested what British and European people pay for Kiwifruit. I live in a Kiwifruit growing area and can pick them up for 20/$2.00.

I can recall when living in the Philippines many years ago that a very puny apple was about $3.00 when back in Aus a magnificent apple was around 10c.

Going on tesco prices who have similar price to other supermarkets (and independents have slightly higher but similar price) they are 30p each (4 for £1) or 65p for 6 market value ones. However market value stuff in tesco means 30% sawdust etc and it's always horrid tasting (usually anyway). My local fruit market is 4 for £1 if I remember correctly. Friend who lives in Tokyo said the price of apples there was super high (admittedly in 80s before yen came down but friends who are there now say it's high).

edit: No I haven't memorised supermarket fruit prices that would be weird even for me. I looked on their online shopping thing which i don't use except for price checking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast