Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Stick no bill

  1. #1
    abhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    408
    Real Name
    Abhi

    Stick no bill

    Stick no bill
    Canon 300D, 50mm @ f/8 for 1/250s, ISO 1600

    C&C please.
    Last edited by abhi; 17th July 2011 at 01:14 PM.

  2. #2
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    30,354
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Stick no bill

    Nice shot of an aging structure. We have many old buildings in the U.S. that still have painted advertisements from the 1920s.

  3. #3
    abhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    408
    Real Name
    Abhi

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice shot of an aging structure. We have many old buildings in the U.S. that still have painted advertisements from the 1920s.
    Thank you, John. This one's actually still in use. It is the rear entrance to an old manufacturing facility.

    Did you find the image is over-sharpened or over-saturated? I can not make up my mind about it.

  4. #4
    rob marshall

    Re: Stick no bill

    WOW! That's a coincidence. I was processing a shot this morning that I took last week which is very similar to this, except mine does have a bill on the door. I like the blue in yours, but the stonework looks a little too bright in places to me. It might look better with more subdued tones. Maybe.

  5. #5
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Stick no bill

    I like the blue in yours, but the stonework looks a little too bright in places to me. It might look better with more subdued tones. Maybe.
    +1 on what Rob has said. Abhi, your choice of subject and composition is really improving a lot. Keep up the good work.

  6. #6
    abhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    408
    Real Name
    Abhi

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    WOW! That's a coincidence. I was processing a shot this morning that I took last week which is very similar to this, except mine does have a bill on the door. I like the blue in yours, but the stonework looks a little too bright in places to me. It might look better with more subdued tones. Maybe.
    Thank you, Rob. I will try that. It will probably help to bring out the text. What do you think about the sharpening? I am wondering if it is over the top.

    I took this shot yesterday, and was not really happy with the light when I took it. It was another overcast evening and shadows were soft with little contrast. I was surprised at what I was able to get out the image by mostly just bumping up the black level. This is what I started with:

    Stick no bill

  7. #7
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    30,354
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Thank you, John. This one's actually still in use. It is the rear entrance to an old manufacturing facility.

    Did you find the image is over-sharpened or over-saturated? I can not make up my mind about it.
    Abhi,

    i think the sharpness is fine.

  8. #8
    rob marshall

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Thank you, Rob. I will try that. It will probably help to bring out the text. What do you think about the sharpening? I am wondering if it is over the top.

    I took this shot yesterday, and was not really happy with the light when I took it. It was another overcast evening and shadows were soft with little contrast. I was surprised at what I was able to get out the image by mostly just bumping up the black level. This is what I started with:

    Stick no bill
    I did a quick edit of the original you just posted. I boosted the contrast in RAW edit, and increased the vibrancy to get more colour. I think yours was a little too sharp, and I just applied a small amount of sharpening in Photoshop.

    Stick no bill

  9. #9
    abhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    408
    Real Name
    Abhi

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    I did a quick edit of the original you just posted. I boosted the contrast in RAW edit, and increased the vibrancy to get more colour. I think yours was a little too sharp, and I just applied a small amount of sharpening in Photoshop.

    Stick no bill
    Thanks, Rob. The text does stand out much better in your edit. Now you make me wonder if I plug the door from my original post if the two would compete for attention. Here's my edit with subdued stonework. I went back to PS and painted a mask with a black brush set at 50% opacity. Though, I think I prefer yours for the stonework.

    Stick no bill

    PS: I think I have certainly oversharped this edit.
    Last edited by abhi; 17th July 2011 at 06:04 PM.

  10. #10
    abhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    408
    Real Name
    Abhi

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    +1 on what Rob has said. Abhi, your choice of subject and composition is really improving a lot. Keep up the good work.
    Thank you, Jiro. I really enjoy both your and Rob's work, so it means a lot coming from the two of you. I am just trying to really work on identifying good light for a subject. I have had my eye on this door for some time now. Even yesterday, I almost passed on it as I felt that the contrast was not enough.

  11. #11
    abhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    408
    Real Name
    Abhi

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Abhi,

    i think the sharpness is fine.
    Thanks, John. So that's one vote for fine, one for over-sharpened (Rob), and one for neutral (Me). So, I guess I will consider this borderline OK.

    Maybe, we can have an option to set up polls in our threads.

  12. #12
    rob marshall

    Re: Stick no bill

    Abhi

    Here's my shot that I mentioned. Mine was taken in subdued indirect light, which helped the exposure (nothing too extreme)

    Stick no bill

  13. #13
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Stick no bill

    Abhi, if you may, here is my grungy interpretation of your image.

    Stick no bill

  14. #14
    abhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    408
    Real Name
    Abhi

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Abhi

    Here's my shot that I mentioned. Mine was taken in subdued indirect light, which helped the exposure (nothing too extreme)

    Stick no bill
    I like it. Thanks for sharing, Rob. Maybe I should have pasted a bill on the door before taking the shot.

    Regarding lighting, I do have trouble deciding how much contrast is enough for taking a shot. Mine as I said was taken under very soft evening sunlight, and the light for your shot seems similarly soft. The door photos you had posted earlier (it was the Welsh doors thread), were I think taken under stronger light. What would be a good rule of thumb to decide if the scene has enough contrast, or maybe too much?

  15. #15
    abhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    408
    Real Name
    Abhi

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Abhi, if you may, here is my grungy interpretation of your image.
    Hmmm, I like this one too. A different kind of mood, almost intimidating any potential miscreants. And a relatively rare exploration of the darker end of the histogram from you.

  16. #16
    rob marshall

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Regarding lighting, I do have trouble deciding how much contrast is enough for taking a shot. Mine as I said was taken under very soft evening sunlight, and the light for your shot seems similarly soft. The door photos you had posted earlier (it was the Welsh doors thread), were I think taken under stronger light. What would be a good rule of thumb to decide if the scene has enough contrast, or maybe too much?
    If you get a scene such as this that doesn't have much contrast, and you shoot RAW, it doesn't matter too much. You can squeeze quite a lot of extra contrast out of RAW editing without distressing the IQ. For scenes that have lots of natural contrast, it's OK so long as you try to avoid the areas that may come out as blown.

  17. #17
    abhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    408
    Real Name
    Abhi

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    If you get a scene such as this that doesn't have much contrast, and you shoot RAW, it doesn't matter too much. You can squeeze quite a lot of extra contrast out of RAW editing without distressing the IQ. For scenes that have lots of natural contrast, it's OK so long as you try to avoid the areas that may come out as blown.
    Thanks, Rob. I used to keep wondering if the tonal contrast was sufficient to get a good shot. Now, one less thing to worry about.

  18. #18
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    30,354
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Thanks, John. So that's one vote for fine, one for over-sharpened (Rob), and one for neutral (Me). So, I guess I will consider this borderline OK.

    Maybe, we can have an option to set up polls in our threads.
    Abhi,

    I voted yes because although they are not central to the image, I think the foliage would suffer if left untouched. The clarity of the leaves just add to the overall impact of the image.

  19. #19
    abhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    408
    Real Name
    Abhi

    Re: Stick no bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Abhi,

    I voted yes because although they are not central to the image, I think the foliage would suffer if left untouched. The clarity of the leaves just add to the overall impact of the image.
    John,

    I find this interesting as I had not really thought of any processing for the leaves except for reducing their saturation. I got lucky this time, but I need to pay more attention to details in every step.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Stick no bill

    How about a straight forward edit abhi...............................color and contrast


    Stick no bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •