Thread: Sense of Depth

Real Name
    Kaushik

Sense of Depth

Hello Forum,

Did I manage to bring the sense of depth in the below picture ?

Sense of Depth

Please share your views and suggestions to improve the composition.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Sense of Depth

IMO, the two trees stopped the flow of the perspective causing me as the viewer to see it as a flat image. If there was a continuity on the scene (no abstraction) then it would be much easier to have the illusion of depth. Just a comment, Kaushik.

Like Willie said, there appears to be a sudden jump between foreground (trees) and distant background instead of a gradual 'tapering' of distance.

However, I wonder what would happen if you zapped those birds. I suspect they are catching too much of the viewer's attention and preventing a smooth transition between foreground and background.

They aren't sharp so there wouldn't be any loss.

Yes as the gents above have said the tree on the right is a mistake. It is a common misconception that a scene needs to be 'framed' in this way. We see it again and again. Depth comes from careful use of DoF or in the case of landscapes in recognising and capturing natural layers of light and/or natural features (see Donald McKenzies work on CiC). As far as composition is concerned the rule of thirds is not a bad place to start. The botton of the tree at the left of the image are on the lower third which is fine but the tree on the right interferes with the balance. Without the tree we can compose the scene such that the extremity of the tree on the left is on the left vertical third. This would give a sweeping vista to the right with a well balanced termination at the left of the image. Having said this the subject matter lacks interest so I think you would always be left with a rather bland shot.
    Last edited by Wirefox; 16th July 2011 at 08:48 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred S.

From my point of view if you "Flip Canvas Horizontal" in Photoshop, there is more depth and a more natural "flow" through the image.

Real Name
    Kaushik

Thanks Willie , Steve, and Geoff for your suggestions. I will try to be more careful in future and try not to repeat the same mistakes.

mjs73652 (Please let us know your real name) I don't' know how to do Flip Canvas Horizontal on PS. Could you please tell me and then I could give it a try sometime tomorrow.

Real Name
    Manfred S.

Quote Originally Posted by kaushikalex5 View Post
    mjs73652 (Please let us know your real name) I don't' know how to do Flip Canvas Horizontal on PS. Could you please tell me and then I could give it a try sometime tomorrow.
    "Flip Canvas Horizontal" means mirroring the image horizontally. In Photoshop: use menu entry: "Image" -> "Image Rotation" -> "Flip Canvas Horizontal".

Real Name
    Kaushik

Thanks for sharing the information Manfred . I will check it in PS