Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Couldn't find the spider thread

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Couldn't find the spider thread

I could not find the spider thread.

How do you shoot these danged things? I truly could not get too close without getting the heebee jeebies. I basically just stuck the camera in there and clicked away. The shutter sound made them restive. Ugh. I was trying to do a Geoff or Peter - to no avail.

I did, however, think the babies were very cool. They will take care of the pests in my flowers.

Couldn't find the spider thread

C&C, as always, welcome. Thanks for looking.

Marie

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Couldn't find the spider thread

Marie,

(the spider thread is in the hardware section... don't ask me why)

I think that is an awesome shot of a swarm of babies and give you kudos for braving the heebee jeebies to get the shot! I had a swarm of babies in my garage not too long ago, but I just couldn't managed to get a good shot of them... and I didn't care about getting up close and personal.

- Bill

Real Name
    Seri

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Marie,

(the spider thread is in the hardware section... don't ask me why)

- Bill
    To keep them away from the insects thread, silly

Marie. I like your spiderlings too. Try getting shots that are slightly closer to your subject each time, and work first on spiders that are comfortably placed in their webs. Leave the free-ranging hunting spiders for later

Seri

Real Name
    Marie Hass

LOL, thanks, Bill!

On a more serious note, Seri, the content of this picture ties in with the other post you started of shooting who you are. I try to face my childhood fears, and spiders are one of the top of the list. I am actually very phobic, and will go screaming off into the night if a web or cobweb touches me - lol, I guess I figure the giant spider cannot be close behind.

I felt I had a bit more control over this shot, as I positioned live view. I actually had my arm stuck behind the nest and am shooting out into the yard beyond. If the babies cooperate, I have a closeup lens I will screw on and yes, I will try to get closer.

Thanks for taking the time to respond,

Marie

Real Name
    Seri

Well done for facing up to your childhood fears

My daughter was never scared of anything until she was about four, and a friend of hers screamed blue murder when she saw a spider. She's working now and is still scared of spiders (and poor bumbly crane flies by association). Yet she paradoxically loves spiders in theory, and all other creepy crawlies in practice. She will happily let a big May Bug or snail or earwig crawl all over her. So she's going to go to a brilliant program run (I think) by London Zoo where they have a fantastic success rate at treating people's spider phobias. I'm wondering if you have anything similar in your part of the world?

As for getting closer, do it very, very slowly. It's the way the London Zoo program works, so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve it yourself...in theory, anyway

I was lucky as I've never been scared of any invertebrates, but my only phobia concerns cacti or any other sharp objects pointing towards me (it quite spoiled my plans to take up fencing ). When I was in a car crash I had no seat belt on and the glass missed my eyes by millimetres, and ever since then I screwed up my eyes and can't look at anything really spikey. Apart from hedgehogs, oddly enough, but maybe my desire to save them temporarily overcomes the phobia

I look forward to seeing your future images of spiders. It won't be just photographs, but also records of your achievements at overcoming your fears.......and no cheating with zoom lenses!

Seri

Shooting baby spiders emerging from a nest is virtually impossible, Marie. You just can't get enough of them in focus together, unless they are on a flat surface.

In the UK we have a spider called the Nursery Web spider (Pisaura mirabilis) and the mother creates a 'nursery tent' to protect the youngsters then stands guard over them.

I have successfully managed a shot of her plus a couple of spiderlings in the same focus but never the whole group.

However, with this particular photo, I would consider cropping a little tighter to lose that bit of debris in the top left corner, which will still show enough of the web and concentrate the view towards the spiders.

ps. with regard to phobias etc. Today I was photographing a horsefly, one with psychedelic eyes, and I kept feeling as though something crawling down the back of my neck.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

lol Seri, I am brave....to a point. If Geoff assures me the mother spider will not descend on me and sink its fangs in, I will have a go.

Ugh, Geoff, I'd be having my shirt and other unmentionables - off and flapping them in the breeze. On the other hand, the sight of an older half naked fat woman would be enough to give anyone phobias.

If you are saying the mother spider may not be far away,

The bit of debris in the upper left is actually the egg casing. It was a beautiful creation, looking almost like a hot air balloon with the side split open. Most of the babies are gone today, but the ones that are still there have been quite busy eating gnats - or do they eat their siblings?????? There are little black carcasses in one area of the nest.

Geoff, as have been discussed in other posts, it is difficult to convey a 3D image in 2D.

Thanks everyone for commenting.

Marie