Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Early morning feed

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Early morning feed

So. A very hurried shot, fired from the hip, without a tripod? Why did I even bother? You have got to be joking, right? Like, I have never seen these Eastern Rosellas nosh on a lavender bush before. A real first for these chaps, as far as I am aware, dietary wise. And for those of you who have never tried to photograph one of these little blighters I can tell you that they are frenetically flighty and will flash off out of it at even the sound of you changing your mind. So, a Zero for photo skills, okay, but how about an A minus for a quick response to an opportunistic situation? No? Okay, so
    K
    Early morning feed

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Early morning feed

So, a Zero for photo skills, okay, but how about an A minus for a quick response to an opportunistic situation? No? Okay, so
    A zero? Heck no! Given your description you get an A! I would've just stood there and gawked at them. So that fact then leads to an A+ for quick response. They are beautiful birds. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    but how about an A minus for a quick response to an opportunistic situation?
    B+. Don't want you getting too big-headed!

Never heard of this bird. And to be eating lavender? Is that because normal food sources are low?

Real Name
    John Wright

Sometimes we have to just grab a shot - it's fine,Ken-great contrast of colour - you'll have to get these birds trained to sit closer together though

I wonder if cropping out the white lavender would enhance the photo by just leaving them against the deep blue ? Infact why don't you try a few crops. Take out the right side bird altogether and have the other one in portrait mode or crop in from the left side,down from the top and up a bit from the bottom. I see their eyes are black so that makes it difficult to highlight the eye-maybe put a white spot there,see what that looks like. It's still great to have birds like that around and it's really just matter of time before you'll get a shot you're happy with. If they're there regularly and are so alert and jumpy maybe see what kind of times they go there and hide,camouflaged.

I'd still rather see them like this than not at all.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

With deepest thanks to those who viewed and posted. And for your generous scores! Most undeserved. And I do sincerely apologize. In re-reading my post I perceived it to be far cheekier and less funny than the flippant, light hearted approach which had been my original intent. Sorry for that.
    Donald, in answer to your question. We have had a very good season and the wild life is doing well. The 'roos out in the paddocks are as fat as bush pigs. So it was just so very odd to see these eastern rosellas in the lavender bush.
    As for your comment about cropping John. A good idea especially honing in on the RHS bird. I had thought of doing that. But as I had already done a fair bit of the old scissor snipping I was concerned that I was approaching the point where any more pruning would have resulted in disaster.
    FYI the 'white lavender' you referred to is actually a herb of the wormword family. It is very whitish to silver-grey in foliage. We do have a couple of white lavender bushes "but these are not they." Have to admit that the gardener in our place is Mrs Ucci. In that area I am totally both' vertically and horizontally challenged.' I am allowed to pull out the odd weed, under strictest supervision. Apparently, as I have been told, I am totally lacking in the ability to discriminate between 'keepers' and weeds in the garden. So most times I am allocated to standing back and admiring the efforts of she who does know all about these things. I just have no understanding of this "womens' business' thingo apparently.

And Mary, I will try to get a better of shot of these parrots for you, should the opportunity present.
    Cheers to all
    Ken

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

...but how about an A minus for a quick response to an opportunistic situation?
    A- it is then, Ken.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    A- it is then, Ken.
    Thank you Willie. A most generous score, one totally undeserved by me. Particularly as I dropped you in it and unashamedly put the blame on you as well. If you get the time and can be bothered scroll back a page or so and have a look at the post 'eye'm watching you.' All will be revealed!
    Cheers
    K
    Last edited by ucci; 10th July 2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spelling update

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Thank you Willie. A most generous score, one totally undeserved by me. Particularly as I dropped you in it and unashamedly put the blame on you as well. If you get the time and can be bothered scroll back a page or so and have a look at the post 'eye'm watching you.' All will be revealed!
    Cheers
    K
    Can you guide me to that post of yours? I can't seem to find it.

Real Name
    Mark

Ken, your shot is the kind of shot I'm always looking for. I would be going back over and over again until I was able to get a clear closeup of one of the birds in the lavender.If it happens early in the day, even better from a lighting POV. Birds follow the food, so as long as the food source is there you have a better than even chance of repeating that image, but you have to be ready for when the moment presents itself. I recently put up a shot of a small waxeye perched on a red flower. On the day I hoped one would sit exactly there. I set myself up nearby just in case. When one came along and sat there, it was only for 5 to 10 seconds before it flew off. Simply because I planned the shot ahead I was sort of ready, in terms on gear, position and camera settings.

Early morning feed

Real Name
    John Wright

Lol.. Ken..I tried that line with my wife but she's a sharp lady and I find myself doing 50-50 on the garden,infact she puts the potted plants on the soil where she wants then digging in and I get the compost and bonemeal and plant them but she does have a lot of knowledge on what to put where etc.and she does get me a cup whilst I'm doing it- she has so much consideration.
    True,sometimes a photo needs more cropping than is good for it,I didn't realise you'd already done a fair bit...I think I'm right in saying that cropping introduces noise.

Mark..A wonderful shot, your forethought,anticipation was well rewarded indeed .The flower is very attractive too. When I see these photos of birds from Australia,New Zealand, S.America and the US and look out of my window at the house sparrows on the feeder along with dark starlings and crows I despair.Ugh. We have to travel to Scotland to see the big raptors and the coloured birds here-there are a few are quite elusive are off a mile before we get to them and we have to know where to go to find them too whereas those I see posted on here seem to be flying around the neighbourhood.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    True,sometimes a photo needs more cropping than is good for it,I didn't realise you'd already done a fair bit...I think I'm right in saying that cropping introduces noise.
    Effectively yes, but all that is really happening is that you don't benefit from the reduction by the 'averaging out' of it during the downsizing. That is then compounded when you do the final sharpen, which can, with insufficient threshold, make it worse. It really is better not to crop too much, as we all know. but sometimes, it just has to be

When I see these photos of birds from Australia,New Zealand, S.America and the US and look out of my window at the house sparrows on the feeder along with dark starlings and crows I despair.Ugh. We have to travel to Scotland to see the big raptors and the coloured birds here-there are a few are quite elusive ~
    I'd challenge that one John, mainly to get me to PP some shots taken over the last two months rather than prove you wrong

Watch this forum (give me a couple of days, eh) look out for something titled "Brit birds can be colourful"

Good shot Mark, and Ken; I take opportunity shots that leave much to be desired all the time, so we're in it together.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

We have to travel to Scotland to see the big raptors
    You're too kind.

and the coloured birds
    Yes, female fashions in Dundee and Glasgow this year are becoming outrageous.

Real Name
    John Wright

Thank you gentlemen

The best I ever saw round here,Dave was when the winter was so severe it brought Fieldfares and Redwings into the garden,I've even tried nyger seed to get siskins and goldfinches but to no avail but I have a friend in Kidderminster who does have these birds come to his garden. We had an escaped green parrot on the local hill for a couple of years but I only heard it, never caught sight of it. Having said that I have posted a photo of a yellow hammer come to think of it whilst out photographing the skies on a local hill and I've seen chaffinches and bullfinches and the green woodpecker- so maybe not as dire as I'm making out-it's just our garden that lacks any of these and those who post the exotic ones seem to have them on the doorstep infact some complain about the screeches of some species. I did see a White-Tailed Eagle on Mull as well as a Golden Eagle being mobbed by two buzzards, and Red Kites at Gigrin farm -Rhayadar ,Mid-Wales.. It's sounding better already ..it's just our back garden..lol.