Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help Please with PS

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Help Please with PS

I really could do with some help with this one please! It is probably quite a simple thing to do but I just do not know how to do it, so can some kind soul please tell me how to get rid of the telegraph lines in PS CS5? I would like to do it myself as it is the way for me to learn a new technique rather than someone else do it. Thanks.

Help Please with PS

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Help Please with PS

Hi Andrew-Bede,

There are a few ways to do it - possibly one of the easiest is to simply use content-aware fill ...

1. Select the Lasso tool (L)

2. Draw a selection around one of the wires (fairly close to it)

3. Press Shift-F5 and then "OK"

Another approach is to use the healing brush (J) (or Shift-J if necessary)

1. Select the tool (J)

2. Alt-click an area just below one of the wires

3. Paint over the wires one at a time

Let us know if you have any difficulties.

Hope this helps,

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Thanks for this Colin, I wil give it a go.
    Andrew-Bede

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

I have had a go with the spot healing brush as Colin so kindly suggested, comments on my first effort would be valued. Thanks

Help Please with PS

Real Name
    Seri

Hello Andrew-Bede,

I'm still just learning PP techniques myself, but that looks like a fine job to me I was wondering if the pole (?) to the extreme left could do with the same treatment too? Not sure; just a thought.

I very much like the overall feel of your image. How old is the building?

Seri

Real Name
    Seri

P.S. I first looked at your image on an old PC monitor downstairs. Now I see it on a wide Mac screen I have noticed some slight anomalies in the sky, however, if I hadn't been looking out for them I would have thought that they were cloud wisps and not noticed them at all

The only time I used a healing brush (in Lightroom) I got into quite a muddle with bits I created and couldn't get rid of. I thought it would be easy, but it wasn't.

Seri

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Benedictine View Post
    I have had a go with the spot healing brush as Colin so kindly suggested, comments on my first effort would be valued. Thanks

Help Please with PS
    Err, it's the healing brush, not the spot-healing brush (they're different tools) (click and hold on the tool to reveal the other tools below it, or press shift-J to cycle through them).

Good first attempt, but I can still see where you've done the repair (which shouldn't be the case) - I'd suggest having another go with the right tool.

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Thanks for this Seri, I wasn't sure about the pole but decided to leave it for now. The building, the Church of St. Chad's, Pleasely Vale, has a fascinating history and it is about 130 years old. In fact it used to be the other side of the river that runs from a few yards to the left of where I shot the photograph. The story goes that it was originally built by William Hollins, (of Vyella fame) who built the whole village for his workers in the mill, the other side of the river which is three borders in one: the border between Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire, the border between the Church of England Province of York & Canterbury, and the border between the Diocese of Derby & Southwell—the church originally being in every case on the first option of these. William Hollins wanted his daughter to be married in the church but the Bishop of Derby for some reason would not allow it, so he promptly sought permission from the Bishop of Southwell who gave his permission but who pointed out that the church was not in his diocese so his authority held no sway. The resourceful, powerful and rich (!) William dismantled the church and rebuilt it the other side of the river in the Diocese of Southwell, his daughter was duly married in the church. Services are still held there every week as are weddings and funerals, indeed my youngest son David was married there! Here is a photo of the inside as it was decorated for their wedding.

Help Please with PS

Real Name
    Seri

Quote Originally Posted by Benedictine View Post
    Thanks for this Seri, I wasn't sure about the pole but decided to leave it for now. The building, the Church of St. Chad's, Pleasely Vale, has a fascinating history and it is about 130 years old. In fact it used to be the other side of the river that runs from a few yards to the left of where I shot the photograph. The story goes that it was originally built by William Hollins, (of Vyella fame) who built the whole village for his workers in the mill, the other side of the river which is three borders in one: the border between Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire, the border between the Church of England Province of York & Canterbury, and the border between the Diocese of Derby & Southwell—the church originally being in every case on the first option of these. William Hollins wanted his daughter to be married in the church but the Bishop of Derby for some reason would not allow it, so he promptly sought permission from the Bishop of Southwell who gave his permission but who pointed out that the church was not in his diocese so his authority held no sway. The resourceful, powerful and rich (!) William dismantled the church and rebuilt it the other side of the river in the Diocese of Southwell, his daughter was duly married in the church. Services are still held there every week as are weddings and funerals, indeed my youngest son David was married there! Here is a photo of the inside as it was decorated for their wedding.

Help Please with PS

William Hollins was obviously a man who would do anything to get his own way! What a wonderful story

That's a beautiful image! You've caught the light very well, and I know that's not easy. May I suggest that you might experiment with straightening it up and cropping out the light on the left hand side?

Just two days ago I tried out my first ever long-exposure shots in a church I was sheltering in from the rain. There were so many things worth photographing in there, and so many challenges.

I think you would have liked that church with its layers of history all interwoven.

It's right by the sea and is a fishermans' landmark. The rocks of a partialy-demolished Neolithic tomb lie right next to it at the top of the hill. Some say they look like a sleeping dragon, which is appropriate as the church is dedicated to St Michael. I have never yet managed to get a good photo of it.

There's a stone that was unearthed in the 20th century that showed evidence of a Christian community on the site since at least 600 AD. The stone now rests beside a gate right next to the church.

The church was built in the 12th Century alongside a mid-10th century priory built by Benedictine monks. When pirates attacked in 1061 the monks helped to drive them out and saved the day. (You Benedictines obviously know how to take care of yourselves )

There's also a mystery stone embedded at the top of a small flight of stone steps in the churchyard. There's been much debate over its origin as it has a Templar cross on it and some have linked it with the Shroud of Turin, but it's all very speculative.

Churches and churchyards tell so much about the history of a place. I find the maritime monuments particularly moving. I'm hoping to learn how to take good photos of them. So far I've found it quite hard to make them look as interesting as they are.

Perhaps one day you might start a thread dedicated to church and churchyard photography

Seri

P.S. I'm leaving comments about the healing to the expert

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Thanks Seri for your interesting post. Where is the church you speak about? It sounds worth a visit sometime. I like architecture and churches in particular and plan to do a bit more with them but I want to bring out atmosphere rather than simple snaps of the inside as the above was. I have not done anything much with it as it was just one of hundreds of my son's wedding! Interiors of churches 5 find are really hard to get right, it is the lighting that is the main problem; I have made a number of attempts with with one particular church and can't get it right.

Andrew-Bede

Real Name
    Seri

Hello Andrew-Bede,

Just got in from my first try at long-exposure night shots and bloomin' freezing

I'm a bit shy about revealing my location on-list, but am only too happy for members to know off list, so I'll send you the name and location of the church in a PM later. Unfortunately, since I've started to do landscapes they will be a bit of a give-away, but I like to think I can preserve a little anonymity

Your church interior may have been one of hundreds, but it was still a very nice shot. However, I do understand you wanting to bring out the atmosphere of churches, and I think you did that very well with the church of St Chads.

I've only tried to photograph the interior of a church that one time, the other day, and it was very hard, I agree. I wanted to capture the light as I saw it, and didn't want to use a flash as that would have changed everything. The long exposures I tried would have worked better if I had used my tripod instead of a bean bag But I have no idea how professional photographers do this kind of thing.

If you're having trouble with the lighting in one particular church, why not post your unsuccessful attempts here and someone is bound to be able to supply a solution

Seri

Real Name

Just to give you a quick demo of the healing brush ...

Help Please with PS

Note that it doesn't always do a perfect job - so - just go over the less than perfect areas a few times.