Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bullet With Wings.

Real Name
    Steve

Bullet With Wings.

You have know idea how many clicks it took to get one in focus Heavy crop, but my best so far.

Bullet With Wings.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Bullet With Wings.

great shot! that's a toughie!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    great shot! that's a toughie!
    Thanks chris. I would imagine with a 1D series camera, it wouldn't be so hard, but with a 40D it's very challenging. If you see an idiot in a field ,spinning in circles with a camera, that would be me

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Thanks chris. I would imagine with a 1D series camera, it wouldn't be so hard, but with a 40D it's very challenging. If you see an idiot in a field ,spinning in circles with a camera, that would be me
    That's a hard shot with any camera...really, nice!

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    If you see an idiot in a field ,spinning in circles with a camera, that would be me
    Or me
    Bullet With Wings.

Hi Steve good shot. I'm not sure if mine are the same kind of bird, but I've spent a few hours (not all on the same day though) spinning in circles trying to get a shot of these guys, so your comment made me laugh. I don't know why I bother because I know I will not get a good shot. They are far too fast and small, but it's hard to resist when you see them swooping and diving. I think they must be great bug catchers because the farmers have nesting boxes all around their properties, and they certainly seem to want them there. I have not looked up the type of bird yet. I take it yours is some type of swallow, I thought mine was too, but looking at it now I am not so sure.
    Here are 2 other shots of mine that are not good but better than any of the MANY I tried. Taken 2 different days and places, but I think the same type of bird.
    Bullet With Wings.

Bullet With Wings.

I was so dizzy, I couldn't even get it right when they settled in a tree.
    Bullet With Wings.

AND THEN to top it off this was taken the same day. If you look closley you will see a deer. It was so far away and I thought it was a deer and I watched and watched but it did not move, not even a flick of the ear, so I thought it must be a piece of farm equipment or something in the field, I took a shot anyway and when I got finished spinning around after the birds the "farm equipment" was gone. I'm just posting this because I was so excited - I have not seen a deer out on the trail for years. Everyone tells me they are there, but I never ever see them.

Bullet With Wings.

Well, I'm obviously tired and I'm rambling and posting horrible pictures, but I just want to say that I can really appreciate the effort that must go into your wildlife shots.
    Oh, another thing before I try to get to sleep - I think with those birds if you sit and watch them for awhile they have a flight pattern that they keep repeating. Figuring out the pattern and then hoping they stick to it might be the key for getting a better shot???

Wendy

Real Name
    Bobo

Swallows in flight are very very difficult. Have tried it many many times but never one that is worth even pp'ing.

Nice captures of a very tough subject.

Moral of posted pics - perseverance !!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Or me
    Bullet With Wings.

Hi Steve good shot. I'm not sure if mine are the same kind of bird, but I've spent a few hours (not all on the same day though) spinning in circles trying to get a shot of these guys, so your comment made me laugh. I don't know why I bother because I know I will not get a good shot. They are far too fast and small, but it's hard to resist when you see them swooping and diving. I think they must be great bug catchers because the farmers have nesting boxes all around their properties, and they certainly seem to want them there. I have not looked up the type of bird yet. I take it yours is some type of swallow, I thought mine was too, but looking at it now I am not so sure.
    Here are 2 other shots of mine that are not good but better than any of the MANY I tried. Taken 2 different days and places, but I think the same type of bird.
    Bullet With Wings.

Bullet With Wings.

I was so dizzy, I couldn't even get it right when they settled in a tree.
    Bullet With Wings.

AND THEN to top it off this was taken the same day. If you look closley you will see a deer. It was so far away and I thought it was a deer and I watched and watched but it did not move, not even a flick of the ear, so I thought it must be a piece of farm equipment or something in the field, I took a shot anyway and when I got finished spinning around after the birds the "farm equipment" was gone. I'm just posting this because I was so excited - I have not seen a deer out on the trail for years. Everyone tells me they are there, but I never ever see them.

Bullet With Wings.

Well, I'm obviously tired and I'm rambling and posting horrible pictures, but I just want to say that I can really appreciate the effort that must go into your wildlife shots.
    Oh, another thing before I try to get to sleep - I think with those birds if you sit and watch them for awhile they have a flight pattern that they keep repeating. Figuring out the pattern and then hoping they stick to it might be the key for getting a better shot???

Wendy
    Hahahahaha, I'm glad i'm not the only spinning idiot You got some nice shots wendy. At least you found a place they land.

You are right, they do fly a pattern..........................................A T MACH 1.

Real Name
    Pat

Very very well done Steve,good shot,well done also to Wendy.
    I myself have had manys a dizzy spell trying to capture swallows and swifts in flight,all to no avail,just blurs and bits of wings and tails.
    However to quote a line I once heard in a movie....I SHALL ENDEAVOUR TO PERSEVERE
    Best Wishes,Pat

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Having many a time sat with a glass of wine out in the garden enthralled by the swallows and housemartins as they feed in the evening, I am full of admiration for the spinning idiots who make these images. Well done to both of you. I wouldn't even attempt it - I'd do myself some serious injury!

And as for:
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Bullet With Wings.
    I love it. There's humour and compassion in that picture.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Add me to the list of spinning idiots too

Good effort Steve (and Wendy)

All my recent attempts went 'in the bin'

Real Name
    Kay

Hey Dave make room in that bin for me!
    I have tried with no success to capture a half decent bird in flight to no avail...
    Steve thankyou again for sharing your work, I always enjoy it very much