Real Name
    Catalina

Re: Post your insects

Wow! what a beautiful picture. The blue insect is lovely
    Catalina

Real Name
    Peter

I recently came across a few photos that still had to be Gimped. This one could do with a bit of cropping, but it didn't work for me, so I left it like this with the subject BANG in the middle

Post your insects

For me, Peter, it isn't 'bang in the middle' as you have different amounts of visible background between top/bottom and the sides.

Incidentally, the hoverfly in this excellent shot is a Eupeodes species; and I suspect E. corollae as the yellow spots appear to reach the abdomen edge. But it is a tricky family.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    For me, Peter, it isn't 'bang in the middle' as you have different amounts of visible background between top/bottom and the sides.
    It just wasn't to my liking really. The flower and hoverfly have a nice contrast, but the rest of the photo just doesn't do too much for me. That is what I meant.
    By the way, thank you for the determination.

Real Name
    Bobo

Fly on a window
    Post your insects

Japanese Beetle
    Post your insects

No idea of the id of this spider..... Anyone know?

Post your insects

Post your insects

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Got a bunch of good ones this weekend... here's a small sample to start:

Hummingbird Clearwing (Hemaris thysbe) - one of many I'll share soon...
    Post your insects

Caterpillar (not identified yet) - I flubbed the focus a bit as the butt's crisp, but the head is not...
    Post your insects

Wasp(?) Eggs Hatching - I noticed the openings in the eggs in the field, but didn't notice the wasps actually emerging till I got home and was able to blow it up full size (note the one in the top right, you can see its antennae)...
    Post your insects

Adult Assassin Bug (Reduviidae sp.) - does anyone have any info on what that bubble nest could be about? Not sure if it is from the assassin bug or what...
    Post your insects

I definitely have more coming from this trip... very productive.

- Bill
    It is called "Cuckoo Spit" and is produced by one of a the "Froghopper". The froth, nicknamed "Cuckoo Spit" serves a number of purposes. It hides the nymph from the view of predators and parasites, it insulates against heat and cold, thus providing thermal control and also moisture control. Without the froth the bug would quickly dry up. The nymphs pierce plants and suck sap causing damage, and much of the excess filtered fluids go into the production of the froth, which has an acrid taste, deterring predators. A few species are serious agricultural pests.

Dave, can't be absolutely certain about your spider from that angle but my first thought would be Araneus diadematus (Garden Spider).

Dave, can't be absolutely certain about your spider from that angle but my first thought would be Araneus diadematus (Garden Spider).
    Thanks Geoff. Just had a look on google and it looks what you have said It's out there again tonight so have been getting a few more pictures of it.

Real Name
    John

Sundews are small carnivorous plants whose leave have hairs with a sticky liquid.

Post your insects

When a bug lands on the leaf and gets stuck the hairs curl around the insect enabling the plant to absorb the insect.

Post your insects

Post your insects

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Poaceae View Post
    Sundews are small carnivorous plants whose leave have hairs with a sticky liquid.

When a bug lands on the leaf and gets stuck the hairs curl around the insect enabling the plant to absorb the insect.
    Sounds like any woman and my wallet.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Fly on a window
    Post your insects
    I really like the color of this Bobo, great shot

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Peter - from you that is a great compliment.

Real Name
    Bhumil

Ok..i am new at this....currently i own DSLR nikon d90 but when i took this picture i didnt hv that camera...i took it with regular camera...also its been just 6 months since i had received my nikon...and started to learn a lot of things...this is unedited pictrure...i have never done editing on the photos...so basically i am not so good at it...but i would like to learn it so it will be great if u can sugest me some nice way to edditing this pic..and also how is the picture...so basically i am amature photographer...photography is my hobby...hope u all like the pic...:-)
    Post your insects

I think the main thing I would do with this photo, Bhumil, is to crop it to remove part of the right side and top. Very approximately, I would end up with the butterfly's head about in the middle (left to right) and slightly above centre (up and down).

Real Name
    Bhumil

I think the main thing I would do with this photo, Bhumil, is to crop it to remove part of the right side and top. Very approximately, I would end up with the butterfly's head about in the middle (left to right) and slightly above centre (up and down).
    thanks a lot for quick response...well but problem with that would be since i hvnt taken it with DSLR (or i dont know if i can edit it in the software), it is becoming litle bit blury and it looses its sharpness....please advice if i can do it in any software....here is the cut version of it...i am not sure i may be wrong too but please advice...

Post your insects

Real Name
    Peter

I think that there is only so much that you can do with this photo Bhumil. You can use a program such as Photoshop or Gimp to look at the colour, contrast etc. and you might sharpen the photo a bit with these programs as well, but the crop that you show isn't that sharp to begin with.
    Your Nikon D90 might give better results, depending on the lens you use it with. Or your regular camera might have a macro option, which enables you to go closer to your subject.
    This is just one photo, which I would experiment on. There should be ample opportunities for you to improve on this.

Real Name
    Ron

Heres a Butterfly image taken in Gainesville,Fla at the Butterfly Rainforest Exhibit at the University of Florida.had taken a few shot of him whilst moving about to get a good looking background.Thanks for viewing...Ron

Post your insects

I was thinking of a less severe crop, Bhumil, which still retained most of the flower.

Something roughly like this . . .

Post your insects

I also slightly darkened the highlights.

Real Name
    Joe

A Southern White butterfly photographed yesterday at Canaveral National Seashore in Florida. C&C always appreciated.

Post your insects

Page 23 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast