Thread: What Flash?

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

What Flash?

Hey Everyone,

The only thing I don't have in my bag as of yet is a good flash. Can anyone suggest something for under $300? I use a D5000 with a built in flash but I'm not that impressed with the results. The pictures always look awkward. (maybe I'm doing something wrong)

Any suggestions on brands styles would be appreciated. I hope to get something versatile for portraits and possibly macro stuff. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: What Flash?

Well, I'd recommend you get a Canon Speedlite 580 EX II, then you'd be on your way to switching over to the right side of the camera world.... Haha - just kidding!

However, whatever you do get, I'd recommend a flash diffuser like Lumiquest's Mini-Softbox or similar to soften the light as I've always found flash light to be rather harsh, and based on your comment that the pictures look awkward, you probably are in that camp too.

- Bill

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Sorry Nikon already has it's hooks in me deep!

i'm thinking... http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-700-S...8681491&sr=1-1

Any other suggestions?

Real Name
    John

Mike - I have two SB-700s and think they are excellent. They have a lot of nice features like their several slave modes that you can use with your D5000 so the flash can be placed remotely without a cord. They also can act as a commander for CLS so you can control other compatible flashes when you add to your collection.

Real Name
    Richard

I am a Canon guy so I cannot recommend any specific Nikon equipment. However, whatever flash you purchase, I recommend that you get one which will both tilt and rotate which makes it a lot easier to bounce with. I also recommend that you consider purchasing or fabricating a diffuser-reflector which can really upgrade the quality of bounce lighting.

My favorite diffuser-reflector is the Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro (DFD). I have been using Joe's products for years and really like the versatility of the DFD. The unit is composed of two parts: the FlipIt section and the Diffuser. The angle of the FlipIt is infinitely adjustable and you can use the unit in many situations, including areas in which the ceiling is too high, too dark or just isn't there (as in outdoors at night. www.dembflashproducts.com

BTW: I always carry a tiny Canon 270EX flash anywhere I go. This unit sometimes comes in handy and is very light weight and tiny to carry. I use a Joe Demb Photojournalist FlipIt with the 270EX which really improves the acpability of the 270EX.

I use my DFD with a Canon 550EX (oldie but, goodie) both on my camera and off-camera, most often using a Stroboframe Camera Flip flash bracket.

If you would like to try using a diffuser-reflector at little or no cost; you can fabricate one from cardboard or foamboard. The home-made diffuser-reflector does a quite creditable job but, is not quite as versatile as the DFD.

http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10645209

I don't like the STOFEN units (either OEM or Chinese knock-offs) nor am I keen on the Gary Fong setups.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by PhotomanJohn View Post
    Mike - I have two SB-700s and think they are excellent. They have a lot of nice features like their several slave modes that you can use with your D5000 so the flash can be placed remotely without a cord.
    Errr... only if you have two of them or use SU-4 mode and risk having your light popped by any random passserby with a P&S flash. The D5000 doesn't have a commander in the pop-up. For that you need to get a D90 or above camera, so getting a single SB-700 means no CLS/i-TTL capability.

Bit yeah, an SB-700 or used SB-800 are probably your best bets. You might be able to find a used SB-600 for less, but it won't have the commander or SU-4 mode capabilities.

If, however, you are asking about a flash to do off-camera Strobist things, you can also consider going all-Manual with cheap radio triggers, and probably get a nice two-light setup for the same amount of money. But it won't be nearly as good for on-camera run'n'gun event shooting.

The Nikon analog to the 270EX that Richard mentions would be the SB-400. Don't really recommend it, because for the lower cost, you get a lot less function: no swivel capability, and no way to manually control the power off-camera, so useless for Strobist work. I'd only get one if you planned on sharing it with a P&S camera, or size/weight was a serious concern. For Canon shooters considering the 270EX, the newer 320EX might be more worth considering, particularly if you shoot video, because not only does it work as a strobe, but it also has a built-in LED video light.

Real Name
    John

Kathy - I'm sorry you didn't read my post carefully. It should have been clear that I understand that the D5000 doesn't have a commander mode when I said that the SB-700 can be used as a commander and control other CLS flashes. As far as using one flash remote with a D5000, the SU-4 Auto mode is the old TTL slave mode where a remote SB-700 will fire when the internal flash fires and then shut off when the internal flash does after the proper exposure has been obtained. As stated in the SB-700 manual: "Total flash output level of the master and the remote flash unit is controlled." As far as others setting off the flash, in the rare case this happens one will just need to wait a couple of seconds until the flash recharges to take their shot. It still is a better option than not being able to use a second flash remotely.

My purpose in mentioning these slave capabilities is that many people don't understand them and they can be useful for someone who has a camera like the D5000 and wants to add a flash remotely without using a cord.

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Thank you all for your replies. You have all given me some great information. I was not aware of all the different features that these devices are capable of. I think I am going to go with the SB-700. Any limitations caused by the D5000 will eventually be resolved with a camera upgrade... What Flash? many tanks