Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going Wide

Real Name
    James Enriquez

Going Wide

I got my first Ultra Wide Angle Lens back in 2009. It was a Tokina 12-24 f/4. It wasn't the sharpest knife in the cabinet but it does the job pretty well.

Here are some pics taken on my continuing odyssey as a wannabe landscape photographer.

Going Wide

Going Wide

Going Wide

Going Wide

cheers!

Real Name
    Ron

Re: Going Wide

Love the B&W photo's James.#4 is my favorite...Ron

Real Name
    James Enriquez

Thanks Ron!

Real Name
    Lon Howard

I like #4 as well - it seems as if the boat is about to cast off and it might be fun to jump in. Nicely done.

Real Name
    James Enriquez

Thanks Lon. A few minutes after that was taken, there was a group of girls that went out on the lake. They were peppered with mosquito bites when they got back.

Real Name
    Bobo

1, 4, 3, 2 for me.
    Phillippines - woooo that is a landscapers paradise.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by knifebox View Post
    Thanks Lon. A few minutes after that was taken, there was a group of girls that went out on the lake. They were peppered with mosquito bites when they got back.
    Oh that's a good one, James! Which is one of the things I like about photography - it only tells the part of the story you want it to.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by knifebox View Post
    I got my first Ultra Wide Angle Lens back in 2009. It was a Tokina 12-24 f/4. It wasn't the sharpest knife in the cabinet but it does the job pretty well. Here are some pics taken on my continuing odyssey as a wannabe landscape photographer.
    Going Wide
    Going Wide
    Going Wide
    Going Wide
    cheers!
    Excellent work James. Excellent
    Tell me please: did you use some kind of light - LEDs for example - for the first and second shot ? Mainly the first not that much on for the second...
    The black and white are also pretty good
    Mainly the first one where the composition is fantastic.

Real Name
    James Enriquez

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    1, 4, 3, 2 for me.
    Phillippines - woooo that is a landscapers paradise.
    Thanks Bobo! Do come by for a visit. The images you see on the net barely scratches the surface in terms of shooting locations in our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Excellent work James. Excellent
    Tell me please: did you use some kind of light - LEDs for example - for the first and second shot ? Mainly the first not that much on for the second...
    The black and white are also pretty good
    Mainly the first one where the composition is fantastic.
    Thank you Antonio!
    No, I didn't use any artificial lighting in those shots nor did I use light brushes in Photoshop. Those are all taken in natural light.

Real Name
    Richard

Very nice imagery! What I like about your use of the UWA lens is that you include significant foreground details. This is what separates an interesting UWA shot from a mundane image wherein the photographer is simply using the wide angle view to cover a large field of view left to right.

IMO, UWA lenses are both over used and badly used by most photographers who have a knee jerk reaction to a landscape shot. "I must use a UWA lens for a landscape because if I cover everything out there, probably somewhere in my image, there might be something intersesting!" Unfortunately, there isn't usually anything interesting in the shot.

I wish that I could return to the Philippines now that I am no longer restricted in my photography by the cost of film. Your country is one of the most photogenic I have ever visited. The landscape, the architecture and, most of all, the wonderfully friendly Filipinos are a joy to shoot!

Real Name
    farhan

very nice
    loved the first one

Real Name
    John Wright

Wow. Superb shots. They're stunning. You certainly don't need to be calling yourself a 'wannabe' Landscape photographer you're there already - any of these would easily sit alongside photos taken by profs. and seen in the photo. magazines. I'm drawn most of all to the last one. I'll certainly be looking out for your future posts.

Beautiful shots! #3 and #4 are my favorites, especially #4. I really like the details.

rob marshall

Excellent shots, James. I like your website and the images too. What do you use for BW processing?

Real Name
    Jonathan

I'm definitely a "wannabe" photographer, trying to learn...

For the record #1 for me. The colours and contrasts are irresistible. Fab shots.

Jon

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi James,

I just started looking through your flickr site, mainly because I hoped to see these bigger (I did) - as others have said above, you obviously know how to handle that UWA lens

Inspirational shots there, by the bucket load,

Real Name
    James Enriquez

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Very nice imagery! What I like about your use of the UWA lens is that you include significant foreground details. This is what separates an interesting UWA shot from a mundane image wherein the photographer is simply using the wide angle view to cover a large field of view left to right.

IMO, UWA lenses are both over used and badly used by most photographers who have a knee jerk reaction to a landscape shot. "I must use a UWA lens for a landscape because if I cover everything out there, probably somewhere in my image, there might be something intersesting!" Unfortunately, there isn't usually anything interesting in the shot.

I wish that I could return to the Philippines now that I am no longer restricted in my photography by the cost of film. Your country is one of the most photogenic I have ever visited. The landscape, the architecture and, most of all, the wonderfully friendly Filipinos are a joy to shoot!

Richard, thank you for the kind words! That UWA has been the lens I have on my cam 85% of the time. The neat thing about its FL is that at 24mm, I sometimes tend to use it for portraiture, albeit not as sharp as actual prime lenses.

The significant amount of foreground details tends to build into the image thereby allowing me to gradually draw the viewer's attention deeper into the image. It was a hard earned lesson as my earlier shots were more of a "shoot now think later" mentality.

Please do visit us again. Im sure there are a lot of improvements since the last time you visited the islands.

Cheers!

Real Name
    James Enriquez

Quote Originally Posted by farhan al shammeri View Post
    very nice
    loved the first one
    Thank you Farhan!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Wow. Superb shots. They're stunning. You certainly don't need to be calling yourself a 'wannabe' Landscape photographer you're there already - any of these would easily sit alongside photos taken by profs. and seen in the photo. magazines. I'm drawn most of all to the last one. I'll certainly be looking out for your future posts.
    Thanks John! As far as sitting alongside some images I've seen in the last 3 years, mine won't even hold a candle. I know there is always room for improvement and there are a lot more to learn. The pleasure is all mine, and I hope you like what you'll see in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by manthos View Post
    Beautiful shots! #3 and #4 are my favorites, especially #4. I really like the details.
    Thanks Manthos!

Real Name
    James Enriquez

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Excellent shots, James. I like your website and the images too. What do you use for BW processing?
    Thanks Rob! Please do enjoy the images. I'll try to update the sites from time to time.

I use Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop CS5 as part of my workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by jp01 View Post
    I'm definitely a "wannabe" photographer, trying to learn...

For the record #1 for me. The colours and contrasts are irresistible. Fab shots.

Jon
    Thank you Jon! I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi James,

I just started looking through your flickr site, mainly because I hoped to see these bigger (I did) - as others have said above, you obviously know how to handle that UWA lens

Inspirational shots there, by the bucket load,
    Thank you Dave. I'm still miles away from where I want to be skill wise.

Real Name
    James Enriquez

Here a few more from our side of the world.

Cheers!

Going Wide

Going Wide

Going Wide

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast