Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tenby tide pool

rob marshall

Tenby tide pool

Tenby is a seaside town in West Wales. No PS trickery here. Just a reflection shot from a tide pool rotated 180 degrees.

View on black

Tenby tide pool

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Tenby tide pool

I remember another reflection photo of yours that is just as great. Forgive me if this is a dumb question: How do you not pick up your reflection in the water? Can you describe the setting... where you are standing... where the sun is, in relationship to where you are? Thanks, Rob.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    I remember another reflection photo of yours that is just as great. Forgive me if this is a dumb question: How do you not pick up your reflection in the water? Can you describe the setting... where you are standing... where the sun is, in relationship to where you are? Thanks, Rob.
    Mary

I was standing facing south-east in the afternoon. So the sun was sort of to the right (in the shot, not this map) It looks wrong because the image is inverted, and a shadow was cast across the front of some of the buildings.

I was on the red cross (except the tide was out ) and I was looking towards the yellow area.

Tenby tide pool

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Mary

I was standing facing south-east in the afternoon. So the sun was sort of to the right (in the shot, not this map) It looks wrong because the image is inverted, and a shadow was cast across the front of some of the buildings.

I was on the red cross (except the tide was out ) and I was looking towards the yellow area.

Tenby tide pool
    Thank you, Rob. That helps me a lot. Whew! I'm glad the tide was out.

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    No PS trickery here. Just a reflection shot from a tide pool rotated 180 degrees.
    Dear Rob,
    Wonderful photograph indeed...
    Photographs such as these are what make a master (like you), A MASTER...
    This is one photo I would SOOOOO love to hang in my living room....
    My heartiest congratulations,
    Gurvinder...
    Last edited by gurvinder77; 15th June 2011 at 05:01 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I absolutely love this image! Congrats...

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I absolutely love this image! Congrats...
    Thanks, Richard and Gurvinder. I thought you might like to see the original RAW SOOC. You can see how much I had to boost the colours in RAW edit and in CS5. The problem with these reflection shots is that although they produce some very unusual images, they are often lacking in colour and contrast. You can also see now that the sun is on the right, as Mary was querying. It gets confusing, doesn't it, when you start rotating and inverting...

Tenby tide pool

Real Name
    Steve

What is new here is; you start out with a trillion pound camera and lens and try to make it look low resolution with problems. It is art but I'm going to get up your nose, it ain't photography.

Don't know what kind of feeling it is supposed to elicit, as an art form it needs a bit more.

I think maybe something different, but I don't know what!

However it is as usual a brilliantly nice photo.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    What is new here is; you start out with a trillion pound camera and lens and try to make it look low resolution with problems. It is art but I'm going to get up your nose, it ain't photography.

Don't know what kind of feeling it is supposed to elicit, as an art form it needs a bit more.

But Steve... you just said it wasn't photography!

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post

If it is shot with a camera, it is photography...if it is somewhat abstract, then it might fall into the category of "other," but it is still a photograph....though, I think I understand a point and I am on occasion, quite guilty of similar transgressions, in over manipulating a digital image to get a particulr desired end result...so, in that respect, where do we draw the line as to what constitutes the right amount of computer program manipulation?

Hint** There is no good answer to this.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    If it is shot with a camera, it is photography...if it is somewhat abstract, then it might fall into the category of "other," but it is still a photograph....though, I think I understand a point and I am on occasion, quite guilty of similar transgressions, in over manipulating a digital image to get a particulr desired end result...so, in that respect, where do we draw the line as to what constitutes the right amount of computer program manipulation?

Hint** There is no good answer to this.
    I didn't actually 'manipulate' this image. I stood in the incoming tide (in my rubbers) and at great risk to life and limb () I took a standard shot of a tide pool, which happened to have a reflection of the quayside. In RAW edit and CS5 I simply boosted the colours and contrast. I didn't even sharpen it. Apart from that simple processing (no more than you would do with any other shot) this was straight out of the camera. I posted the RAW edit screengrab above Tenby tide pool because I had a feeling that some people might not believe that I had not manipulated it.

Real Name
    Debbie

Hi Rob,

Love your photo. Here is one I took locally here in Australia of a lighthouse in a rock pool.

Deb
    Tenby tide pool

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by wommby View Post
    Hi Rob,

Love your photo. Here is one I took locally here in Australia of a lighthouse in a rock pool.

Deb
    Tenby tide pool
    Debbie

That is wonderful. Great colours, and the whole shot really does have a sense of 3D depth. And getting it with the lights on was a very nice touch. Well done.

Real Name
    Chris

I didn't actually 'manipulate' this image.

I was referring to the left-right, upside down manipulation, not the color boost, not the color boost. Frankly, I have few concerns with any image as long as it is touted for what it is, and not pushed off as "straight from the camera." You were very straight forward as to what you did, how, and you gave us all a greeat image to be admired... that's that as far as my feeble brain goes with this.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I didn't actually 'manipulate' this image.

I was referring to the left-right, upside down manipulation, not the color boost, not the color boost. Frankly, I have few concerns with any image as long as it is touted for what it is, and not pushed off as "straight from the camera." You were very straight forward as to what you did, how, and you gave us all a greeat image to be admired... that's that as far as my feeble brain goes with this.

Chris

You raise an interesting point there, and it's a good job you are not on my 'ignore list' otherwise I wouldn't have seen it

The word 'manipulation' seems to mean a lot of different things to different people. I usually try to avoid the word as it's so loaded. To me it means that the structure of a shot has been changed (apart from cropping). In it's most extensive form it may be a montage, like some of Wirefox's shots (at least I hope he doesn't get them SOOC ). Boosting colour and contrast is, to me, not manipulation.

I still like Debbie's shot.

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by wommby View Post
    Hi Rob,

Deb
    Tenby tide pool
    I like this photo better than Rob's.(Hope this comment doesn't get me put on his ignore list if i'm not already there)I love water reflection shots and Rob has several very good photo's of buildings reflected in the water that i enjoy viewing.(Hope this comment get's me off the ignore list if he can see it).Good work on both photographs.Thanks for sharing...Ron

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Rasbury View Post
    I like this photo better than Rob's.(Hope this comment doesn't get me put on his ignore list if i'm not already there)I love water reflection shots and Rob has several very good photo's of buildings reflected in the water that i enjoy viewing.(Hope this comment get's me off the ignore list if he can see it).Good work on both photographs.Thanks for sharing...Ron
    Forget 'ignoring', brother. If I were still a Mod, you would be straight for the trash-can.

Actually, and it pains me to admit this, I have to agree with you. I think Debbie's shot is cracking. Far better than my own modest effort at gross manipulation. It's something to do with the blues (very deep) and the lights from the building. It has a definite sense of mystery, as well as being very pretty. I'll tell you what, Debbie - you can have my original file, if I can have yours to print.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Both photos are outstanding. I am amazed how sharp the reflection in the rock pool is in Debbie's and I love the 'artist painting' look of Rob's.