Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A bit of luck

A bit of luck

Hi all, just joined and having a quick look around.
    I thought I would share one of my favourite efforts where more luck than skill came into play

dsc_09930001_10001.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 2nd March 2009 at 07:29 PM.

Re: A bit of luck

That´s an amazing photo. The colours are marvellous and with the insects
    it has curiosity value.

regards,
    Brigitte

This is a good catch Kieth.. your set up for the flower and fun-loving beetles makes the most of careful depth of field settings but the picture is brought alive by the "lucky" bee arriving at the critical moment.
    Well done.
    BTW, I was intrigued by your self-intro; never heard of anyone fishing with matches before so I'm glad I Googled the term before asking a dumb question like is the match a bait, fish, technique, or what!
    Next dumb question .. what is a LGV that you drive?
    Regards from roxy (OZ).

Thanks for your comments.
    Roxy, sorry, I just assume people know an anglers terms.
    Match fishing is competition fishing for coarse fish.
    I pay an entry fee to compete against other anglers, the biggest weight of fish at the end of the competition wins.
    There is a lot more to it, as ther are placings and section wins.
    Team fishing also comes into it where there may be teams of ten anglers competing against other teams of ten anglers....there may be ten teams in one match.
    Match angling in England is quite big business, there are many top names who are very consistent in the match angling fraternity and some are fully sponsored by fishing tackle manufacturers.
    My son is a fully sponsored angler who gets many thousands of pounds worth of tackle to use at his will.
    All fish caught are always returned to the venue after the match, and every care is taken to make sure they are well looked after....probably a contradiction in terms to some people...but we know what we mean
    I hope that makes things clear for you.
    I drive a tanker that conveys dangerous goods such as petroleum products.
    Last edited by Keith; 2nd March 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crusty View Post
    My son is a fully sponsored angler who gets many thousands of pounds worth of tackle to use at his will.

I hope that makes things cleare for you.
    I drive a tanker that conveys dangerous goods such as petroleum products.
    Good on you Kieth. Thanks for all that; I did get the drift from match fishing on Google but it amazes me the amount of money/sponsorship involved.
    Congratulations to your boy on his good work .. do you caddy for him a la golf, or is competition decided on strictly "on your own" performance?

roxy

We pool all our information and experience to help each other.
    As for carrying his gear, he is big enough to look after himself, he should be helping the 'oldun' now

Nice entry crusty, I like the framing , but I feel the pic a bit over exposed , Any thoughts ?
    ~Ajith

Thanks Ajith, I guess it could be slightly over, but the 'moment' had to be taken advantage of.
    I did get another shot in but but the visitor flew to another position which didn't give the same impact.
    I am not so seriously into photography that I take time out to set things up, thats why I describe myself as a casual photographer, some you win, some you lose

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by crusty View Post
    ~ the 'moment' had to be taken advantage of ~
    It certainly did, nice capture crusty, well done.
    There's so much randomness possible in shots like this, you have to take what you're given and if necessary, deal with what you can later in PP.

Regards,

Thanks Dave, I aim to learn more than post, I am very much a novice so far, but thirsty for knowledge.
    Looking through some of the photographs on the forum I think I have a long way to go, there are some fantastic efforts.

I think that photo is as good as anybody could do. The flower may be a very slight touch overexposed but any less would make the Marmalade Fly too dark and the 'bonking beetles' are just about correct. This sort of shot is usually a comprimise somewhere.

If you do want to think about any changes; consider a slight crop to lose part of the right side. You could sacrifice at bit from the top and bottom if you want to keep the same ratio. I think this might give a bit more emphasis to the action.

Not sure, just an idea based on holding a bit of paper to my screen.

Geoff.

Thanks for that Geoff, I will try your suggestion later .