Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Just got my new camera but im worried

Real Name
    Will

Just got my new camera but im worried

I finally upgraded to a Dslr (Nikon d7000) and I am loving it so far, but i keep seeing people talking about all the problems it has with the sensor. So i was thinking about returning it and moving to a Canon 7D. I know the cameras aren't to different in specs but i just want to be "safe" and be stuck with a faulty camera.

Oh and my names Will :P Nice to meet ya

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Just got my new camera but im worried

Other than me, I've not heard of anyone else having sensor problems. A friend and I bought ours at the same time and his has been gold all the way. Mine is still not where I want it, and we are negotiating a return for a new body. I think there was such a rush to get them out into the market, they fell short on some of their earlier QC. I firmly beleive this has been remedied and I wouldn't think you would have a problem.

Real Name
    Will

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I forgot to mention that the day i bought my d7000 their was 3 hotspots on the screen, two red and one blue. I took it back to the store right after i noticed them and they replaced the whole thing. I thought it was just a lemon until i saw that more people have had this problem. I just dont want them to appear again after my 14 day return timeframe is up.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    I'm worried.
    Will,

The only purpose of the middle-classes is to worry They (sorry, we) worry about our pension plans, e-coli on cucumbers, getting the latest Audi model, having the right smart-phone, letting our kids out to play, and, it would seem, the reported sensor problems of the Nikon D7000. I'm fairly certain that if there was a problem with the sensor that Nikon would sort it out very quickly. They have a huge reputation to maintain at a time when global double-dip recession is on the menu. But, of course, I could be quite wrong about that, which just gives you something else to worry about.

Real Name
    Robin

Stop reading dpreview (you'll end up a pixel peeping, ranting, robotic sheep lunatic) and go out with your camera - its awesome.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    Thanks for the reply Chris.

I forgot to mention that the day i bought my d7000 their was 3 hotspots on the screen, two red and one blue. I took it back to the store right after i noticed them and they replaced the whole thing. I thought it was just a lemon until i saw that more people have had this problem. I just dont want them to appear again after my 14 day return timeframe is up.
    Not sure where you live, but Nikon has a full year warranty on the whole shebang, so that's not a terrible worry.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Will,

The only purpose of the middle-classes is to worry They (sorry, we) worry about our pension plans, e-coli on cucumbers, getting the latest Audi model, having the right smart-phone, letting our kids out to play, and, it would seem, the reported sensor problems of the Nikon D7000. I'm fairly certain that if there was a problem with the sensor that Nikon would sort it out very quickly. They have a huge reputation to maintain at a time when global double-dip recession is on the menu. But, of course, I could be quite wrong about that, which just gives you something else to worry about.
    Rob, I think you may give the camera companies too much credit...

I don't know about Nikon but, I do know that Canon produced a lemon in the original issue of the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS (not the recent "L" model) which had focus problems in many copies when you were between 200mm and 300mm and in the portrait configuration. After adamently denying there was any problem for a long while, Canon quietly took the lens off the market for a time and remedied the problem.

The key phrase above is "After adamantly denying there was any problem for a long while". Canon would not admit there was a problem so would not fix the lenses sent back to them. That is the reason I never bought that lens. My local Calumet camera store had three of these lenses in stock one day and swore there was no problem. The next day, they had none because Canon had recalled the lenses they had in stock.

However, I scored very well on that deal because while I was waiting for the return to the streets of the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS lens; Canon brought out the 70-200mm f/4L IS. I jumped on that lens and never looked back. Apparently, after DECIDING THERE ACTUALLY WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE 70-300mm LENS, Canon finally fixed it.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

I read this review from Ken Rockwell. I desperately wanna buy this camera now. Within a month may be..

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Will, I know three folks with the D7000 and no problems, they love it! I was just wondering if anyone is waiting for the D7100?

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Will, I know three folks with the D7000 and no problems, they love it! I was just wondering if anyone is waiting for the D7100?
    You are kidding?

It's only been out a few months, it has the best crop sensor on the market today, it has pretty much every feature a top-end amateur camera should have and Nikon are selling them faster than they can be made.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    You are kidding?

It's only been out a few months, it has the best crop sensor on the market today, it has pretty much every feature a top-end amateur camera should have and Nikon are selling them faster than they can be made.

Robin

It's like I said above - middle-class angst.

Real Name
    Robin

Yep