Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second portrait attempt, With hands!! :)

Real Name
    Shannon

Second portrait attempt, With hands!! :)

OK, So I tried to improve on my first attempt. Here is the second attempt.. I am sure I could have done PP work but I don't know how to yet. those classes start Tues.

Real Name
    Abhi

Re: Second portrait attempt, With hands!! :)

Very nice, Shannon. I like the lighting you have chosen for this one. I am not sure, but is the focus slightly off the eyes? I feel the hairs are tiny bit sharper than the eyes. I am sure the experts will come and tell you soon.

PS: The hands are there, but you have cut his right foot off! lol. Personally, it does not bother me, though.

Real Name
    Shannon

Probably Abhi, Who knows where the focus ended up, Trying so hard to get everything I forget half of it.. I think eventually with practice it will all come together. Next time I will try and get hands and feet, but I might end up cutting off the head.. haha!

Real Name
    Thierry

Hello Shannon

Good portrait, well composed. I propose you a treatment a little bit different. I have reset levels, modifoed contrast and added a little bit vignetting

If you don't like it, feel free to tell me and I'll remove it

Cheers

Thierry

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

As you say, the PP classes start next week. So, look at what Thierry's done and take it on board, but don't criticise yourself for not being able to do that yet. You will.

Just celebrate the fact that you know how to set up a good pose.

Have you read Colin's set of portraiture tutorials. Something that you'd pay BIG money for elsewhere is available free from CiC by simply clicking here.

Real Name
    Shannon

Thanks Donald and Thierry, I love the improvement.. I knew it could probably look better.. I have read Colin's tutorials they are excellent!! I have read them several times and will probably read them a lot more.!!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I think you did good on this shot, Shannon. I also appreciate Thierry's edit on the image adding some contrast and sharpening to give it some more detail. The pose was certainly interesting, if I may say.

Here's how I learn some new stuff about photography- I collect a lot of images from magazines or from the web and analyze them. First, I only collect those that catches my attention. Sometimes I like the pose, or the mood of the shot, the artistic rendition of it, or the sheer technicality on how the shot was executed. Then, one by one, I analyze them. What was the lens that probably was used on the shot? Was it shot with a wide aperture or small? Was it intentionally softened or did the sharpness helped to make the shot look nicer? Where is the main light coming from? Was there a secondary light that go with the image? Things like that. By understanding how these shots was able to make it and be published on the magazines, that means there is a technical and artistic merit to them for some companies to pay top dollars promoting their products using these images. Then, I imitate. Not on the exact way that these shots was made but by incorporating what I have noticed about them. Just like babies, we learn to speak by listening and by imitation. We also learn how to develop our motor skills by imitation and by experimentation. I think we could also apply the same thing with photography.

You have a good eye when it comes to taking images of people. Why not look at some good photos and try to see how they pose their subject and try it out, too. Then, when you have already developed that natural ability to analyze the shot using the viewfinder and composing your vision using the camera, you will stop imitating and developing your style. Small steps, Shannon. On a personal note I am really quite delighted to see your growth here at CiC. Looking forward to seeing more from you soon. Kind regards.

rob marshall

Shannon

I hate to be picky, but....

That pose. His right knee is somehow hoisted up to almost chest height, with his right elbow resting on it. It looks to me as if he is leaning against something called his 'right knee' but it doesn't belong to him. Can anyone else see it? It's a pity, because he's a nice-looking model, and the general pose and attitude looks good. It's just that knee.

Real Name
    Kay

Shannon you are going well - each time you post you are stepping along nicely on the learning curve.
    I am a portrait student as well and there are just so many things to think about and all at the same time, but as you are finding it is also very rewarding.
    I can see lots of improvement in this one, I do agree with Rob though, maybe with the knee in this position we need to see what the foot is resting on to connect him all together.
    Great work though - keep sharing

Real Name
    Shannon

Thanks for the awesome advice Willie, I don't know why I didn't think of collecting some photos' that I like and figuring out how they were executed.. Thanks for the encouraging words

Real Name
    Shannon

Rob, I agree! I was trying to think about making sure that the hands were in the pose I forgot about the feet .. eventually I will get it. It's good to be picky , that is how I will learn, So thank you for that.

Real Name
    Shannon

Thank you Kay , I do totally agree, and yes there is a lot to think about. I just need to keep practicing.. I am not quite sure where to crop bodies yet, or what to put in the frame. I will do as Willie suggested and look at photos that catch my eye. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shambhala View Post
    OK, So I tried to improve on my first attempt. Here is the second attempt.. I am sure I could have done PP work but I don't know how to yet. those classes start Tues.

Shannon,

Everyone should be able to jump right into contrast/brightness, sharpening, red-eye reduction without too much tutoriing. It doesn't mean you'll get it right but as long as you make a copy of the original file, work in tiff format, and take notes of what you have done, self-learning will benefit you in the long run. There is nothing worse than to try to read a manual and press keys at the same time.

Real Name
    Henry

Hi Shannon. Hope you don't mind my version, I haven't ripped my photo CDs into new PC yet so I "borrowed" your shot which I like. I still use my old original Samsung digital so I have to do PP with my Corel on all my photos. I do everything "by hand", "painting" the soft/sharp, erasure of the BG, etc. Looks good to me on my PC, comments please...like many of us, learning from you all lighting contrast etc. Can't wait until you start editing Shannon, you'll be great!!!!

Real Name
    Shannon

Holy Cow, Thanks so MUCH Henry!! That looks great with the fram and what you did I notice you took out the white spots on his suit too.. I can't wait until I learn how to do things like this.. it's fantastic. I really appreciate everyone's help and everyone's versions of my photo. Thanks for the encouraging words. I am really excited to start photoshop tomorrow.

Real Name
    Shannon

So, I have been looking at some famous high fashion photographers photo's to get this hand and feet thing down.. I think this might just be a personal preference, or creative style because I came across many photos where there is only one hand, no hands, no feet.. etc. I think it just depends on the photo and how it is presented.. that is what I am getting from the photo's anyways. That being said, I still need LOTS of practice.. and Thanks everyone for all your help.. I love this forum!!

Real Name
    Thierry

Don't worry Shannon the post processing is not the key issue. the main thing is a good initial shot and this shot was good.

Go ahead !

Real Name
    Shannon

Thanks Theirry, I am trying.. lol, I don't know how everyone makes it look so easy. I think its kind of like when you see a ballerina, they make it look so effortless, it's not until you start dancing you realize how complicated it really is.. same with photography.. I actually used to think photography is not that hard you just point and shoot.. Boy was I wrong.. HAHA.

Real Name
    Brian

That looks pretty good to me. Try a different crop if you don't like the knee. Where is the halo coming from
    ?

Real Name
    Shannon

I don't know where the halo is coming from, I think that is in the version Henry edited for me, added some lights. I don't mind the way the knee is.. I liked the pose and cropping as is. I just wanted it to have more 'ooomph" that I could maybe get when I learn how to use Photoshop. Thanks for viewing it Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast