Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: OBJECTS OF ART - Something New For Me

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

OBJECTS OF ART - Something New For Me

This image is an experiment. I've not done subject matter like this before but I liked it so much I added a gallery to my website called OBJECTS OF ART. I only have a few images in it at this point but I have many ideas...just more ideas than time right now.

My "inspiration" to try something like this came when I visited an upscale home decorating store with some of my other images to see if they might be interested in carrying some on consighment. I should have looked around the store first. The manager liked my images but said we don't sell that kind of thing here. He showed me what they do sell by way of images and it's not colorful landscapes and critters, it was images of things like a Grecian urn or bowl of grapes in monochrome or subdued colors but presented in a huge gaudy frame. In my opinion they weren't selling art or images so much as decorations. The images were (again, in my opinion) not particularly interesting but they had a subdued classical look with large ornate frames...so they might fill a space on the wall with something decorative.

I don't know if I'll go back to that store but I got to thinking, "I can do insipid art too" so I set about to shoot some statues I inherited years ago. I found doing insipid art is difficult for me...I couldn't help but give my images a bit of punch. Still, I'm having fun and looking forward to playing more in insipid art.

I'm running this one up the flagpole here to see what reactions I get.

Chuck

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: OBJECTS OF ART - Something New For Me

Hi Chuck,

I like the shot - nice and contrasty. Shadows behind them are a tad distracting to me though - might be a good candidate for a composite (possibly with a more diffuse drop shadow)?

On a side note, I think a store would be crazy not to sell your work; In my opinion the correct attitude (for them) should have been "Hmm - nice work - not something we've tried before, SO LETS TRY IT AND SEE HOW IT GOES". I'm sure Chuck will have a "Chuckle" (pun intended) when stores like that eventually go out of business. Sounds harsh I know, but when someone gives them the opportunity to make money with a quality product - AT NO RISK TO THEM (and they turn it down) then it makes you wonder what they're thinking.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thanks for the input, insight and pun Colin. The statue was shot with available light from a window, isolated from the original background and placed on a gradient to which I added texture and then a drop shadow. You will notice I have more subdued shadow on another image on my website in this particular gallery but I ended up leaving the drop shadow darker because I think it looked a little better because of the overall contrasty look. I still have the original in layers so I could go back and play with the shadow. Thanks for the input...always helpful.

If I can find a gaudy frame I may go back.

Chuck

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    I still have the original in layers so I could go back and play with the shadow.
    Hi Chuck,

You're welcome.

Thinking about it some more, perhaps just lighten the shadow to 1/2 or 1/4 of what it is now?

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Here it is with a reduced drop shadow. I played with it a lot and there was a range where it was too dark and too light but a lot of area where I liked it so I just settled for this. I think it's better...good catch Colin.

Funny, it doesn't look that different here. It's certainly lighter on my computer screen.

Chuck

Real Name

Hmmm ...

I'm in two minds about it - how does it look if the shadow is removed altogether or the width of it reduced (or diffused more) - something that you can see if you're looking for it but don't notice if your not?

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hmmm ...

I'm in two minds about it - how does it look if the shadow is removed altogether or the width of it reduced (or diffused more) - something that you can see if you're looking for it but don't notice if your not?
    I printed the image out on plain paper using my blk/whi laser printerist and it has a dramatic 3D look. I placed the cheap print on top of a fancy 11x14 frame with matting and it has fascinating depth. I will keep the shadow as is for now as it contributes to the depth. I added it as the last thing because I felt the image needed something more. I plan to have a pro print made soon and will judge from there.

Chuck

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chuck,

I can sort of see what Colin's getting at, but I think you're right it is better with the shadows, to enhence the wonderful 3D effect, than without.

I suppose if you wanted to see what such shadows should look like, place the statue where you had it to photograph it and hold a sheet of paper behind it to see what the real shadows are really like. Colin's probably got the idea by suggesting a lot softer. However, these may not be usable because the gradient on the background is clearly at odds with the illumination of the statue and the combined effect is what's fooling the brain into the enhanced 3D look.

That's enough of that 'deep stuff' for tonight!

This kind of artistic imagery is not something I'd try myself, but it doesn't stop me enjoying your efforts Chuck.

Thanks,

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Modifications notwithstanding, I shall defend my shadow until the sun goes down.

(Thanks guys)

Chuck