Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

  1. #1
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    Here are three shots from Grandfather Mountain that I think may have some merit. I don't typically do a lot of landscape photos, so I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    Thank you for viewing and sharing your comments/criticisms.
    frankie

    Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

  2. #2
    Apo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    252
    Real Name
    Dante Apolinar

    Re: Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    nice, but i like #3.

  3. #3
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,237
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    #3 certainly has nice lines - the tree line and the road.

    But, in terms of scale and 'majesty', I like #1. When viewed at the larger size in the lightbox there is a very real sense of the open space. The composition, with the rock outcrop right foreground giving us space to look way down to the buildings and roadway at the bottom give a real sense of depth. And the fact that we have these reference points allows us to compute the scale of the whole thing.

    #2 lacks those reference points (buildings, road) in the distance and, in my opinion, is a much lesser image because of it. Also, I think we're given too much rock outcrop foreground in #2.

    Yep, I do like #1 a lot.

  4. #4
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    As for a more interesting shot due to its flowing lines and sloping elements, I'd go for #3. But for the sheer enormity of the scene, I'd go for #1 any time of the day. A very nice shot on #1, Frankie. Some extra contrast would make it stand out better, I think.

  5. #5
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Re: Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Apo View Post
    nice, but i like #3.
    Thank you Dante.

  6. #6
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Re: Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    #3 certainly has nice lines - the tree line and the road.

    But, in terms of scale and 'majesty', I like #1. When viewed at the larger size in the lightbox there is a very real sense of the open space. The composition, with the rock outcrop right foreground giving us space to look way down to the buildings and roadway at the bottom give a real sense of depth. And the fact that we have these reference points allows us to compute the scale of the whole thing.

    #2 lacks those reference points (buildings, road) in the distance and, in my opinion, is a much lesser image because of it. Also, I think we're given too much rock outcrop foreground in #2.

    Yep, I do like #1 a lot.
    Thank you Donald.
    I'm happy to know that #3 works. I was drawn to that switchback and pleased the photo worked.
    #2 - it's ironic you mention no reference points. There was this huge, God-awful building on the side of the mountain in the distance that I had to clone out because it broke the lines and is just ugly. However, I do not think think it is the kind of reference you are wanting . After looking at the photo, i understand the types of reference you want, and I agree with you, especially in reference to #1.
    #1 - When I first looked at this photo, i got that vertigo feeling I get from heights , and I knew that there was something with the photo if it could give me that reaction.
    Thank you for your comments and for helping me learn.
    frankie

  7. #7
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Re: Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    As for a more interesting shot due to its flowing lines and sloping elements, I'd go for #3. But for the sheer enormity of the scene, I'd go for #1 any time of the day. A very nice shot on #1, Frankie. Some extra contrast would make it stand out better, I think.
    Thank you Willie!
    I will try some more contrast and see how it works. Thank you for taking the time and giving your opinion!
    frankie

  8. #8
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Re: Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    I added a little more contrast and definition. Here is the result.

    Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

  9. #9
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    I added a little more contrast and definition. Here is the result.

    Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please
    I like your edit. For me the added contrast made the foreground more prominent. Nice work, Frankie.

  10. #10
    Frankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Re: Grandfather Mountain, NC... C&C Please

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I like your edit. For me the added contrast made the foreground more prominent. Nice work, Frankie.
    I completely agree with you Willie! Thank you for the suggestion!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •