Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: FX lense compatibility

Real Name
    Debasis

FX lense compatibility

Excellent site!! teaches me everything i wanna know about simipler terms I just a beginner, planning to buy a DSLR, confused between D5100 and 550D. D5100 seems a great choice, however i'm not too sure about the lense compatibility. for DX single focal length only a 35mm lense is available.

the question. are the FX format lenses, featured in the nikon site compatible with a D5100(DX DSLR)??

thank you

Real Name
    Robin

Re: FX lense compatibility

All Nikon lenses will fit their cameras regardless of them being DX or FX

A FX lens on a DX body will work perfectly - often yielding very high results as you are only using the centre of the lens, which is the sharpest.
    A DX lens on a FX will cause the camera to switch to DX Crop mode where it work happily - or you can force the camera to work in DX mode and get varying degrees of vignetting.

The one thing to remember is the D40/40x/60/3000/3100/5000/5100....think thats it.......bodies lack an internal focus drive so older Nikon lenses without the SWM (Silent Wave Motor) will only work in manual focus.

Oh and one more thing - The Nikon Pro bodies will work with manual focus lenses with very good results, keeping most of their metering modes and functions.
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 29th May 2011 at 09:35 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Yes, the FX lenses will work on a DX body. But you need an AF-S lens to autofocus on a D5100 or D3100 (this goes away when you get up to the D7000), and the only AF-S fast prime choices you have for under $500 on the Nikon side are the 50/1.4 and the 35/1.8.

You also can put DX lenses on an FX body, like the D700, but they will vignette (i.e., have black corners on the frame where the image circle for the smaller sensor isn't large enough), and you'll automatically get in-camera cropping so you won't see it.

On the Canon side, EF lenses will work on EF-S bodies. You do NOT need USM to autofocus on a 550D, and your autofocusing fast prime choices under $500 are more numerous: 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8 II, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2, etc.

You cannot mount an EF-S lens onto a full-frame Canon body, however. Canon figures if you blew the bucks on a 5DMkII you want to use all 21 megapixels of the sensor. Some 3rd party lenses from Sigma/Tamron/Tokina will mount on a 5D, but they vignette.

When it comes to the focus motor issue, I should probably also state that Nikon is the only brand that has this issue. Pentax, Olympus, Sony, are all like Canon: all the current AF lenses AF on all dSLR bodies.

Real Name
    Robin

Yes, the FX lenses will work on a DX body. But you need an AF-S lens to autofocus on a D5100 or D3100 (this goes away when you get up to the D7000), and the only AF-S fast prime choices you have for under $500 on the Nikon side are the 50/1.4 and the 35/1.8.
    Or the D50/70/80/90/100 and don't forget the new AF-S 50mm f1.8, or the AF-S 60mm f2.8 or the AF-S 85mm f3.5

You also can put DX lenses on an FX body, like the D700, but they will vignette (i.e., have black corners on the frame where the image circle for the smaller sensor isn't large enough), and you'll automatically get in-camera cropping so you won't see it.
    Or you can turn off the Auto Cropping and find that a lot of lenses will actually cover the FX sensor and I'm not just talking Nikon here - Canon you simply don't have the option unless you rip the back of the lens off to ensure it clears the mirror.

When it comes to the focus motor issue, I should probably also state that Nikon is the only brand that has this issue. Pentax, Olympus, Sony, are all like Canon: all the current AF lenses AF on all dSLR bodies.
    Lets take a look at longer term histories though:

Pentax bodies with MF lenses are very hit and miss - some will meter, some won't, some work, some won't.
    Olympus never really went down the AF route so you can't put an MF Olympus lens on a E Series camera and get any real compatibility.
    Sony bought Minolta out and yes all the AF lenses will work - the MF ones won't fit as Minolta dumped the MD mount when they went AF - a brave move and one that ultimately failed.
    Canon - now then, they were the bravest of the lot and back when the EOS system was launched they stuck their corporate finger up at every Canon user who had invested in their glass and said 'Sod You' we are going AF and you can't come with us. To be fair it worked and they are now a global leader but it was still a nasty move.

Nikon have kept their F Mount since its instigation in 1959 and while I'll admit it has had its changes and compatibility issues it is still the same mount (like Pentax) and if you are a Pro user with legacy Pro lenses you are still going to be a happy bunny.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Or the D50/70/80/90/100 and don't forget the new AF-S 50mm f1.8,
    Oh, cool! I'd heard the rumors, but hadn't realized it was released. And yes, I knew about the older entry-tier bodies, but didn't want to clutter up with an endless list, since the OP was obviously looking at more recent bodies.

or the AF-S 60mm f2.8 or the AF-S 85mm f3.5
    f/3.5 doesn't exactly equate to "fast" for me, and the 60/2.8 is a Macro lens. But yes. I did forget these. I also forgot Canon's 24/2.8, 60/2.8 Macro, and 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus. Again, list cluttering. I assumed portrait lens and just went with that.

Lets take a look at longer term histories though:
    Pentax bodies with MF lenses are very hit and miss - some will meter, some won't, some work, some won't.
    But not-metering is also the case with non-CPU lenses on the entry-level Nikons. And K-mount lenses work pretty much the same like F-mount. And mounting pre-AI Nikkors can break the D90/D7000-tier and above cameras.

Olympus never really went down the AF route so you can't put an MF Olympus lens on a E Series camera and get any real compatibility.
    Yes, you can. With an OM/Four-thirds adapter, you have to manually focus and manually control the aperture, but you will still retain metering, and (this is the kicker) gain stabilization, because on the four-thirds cameras, this is a body function, not a lens one.

Sony bought Minolta out and yes all the AF lenses will work - the MF ones won't fit as Minolta dumped the MD mount when they went AF - a brave move and one that ultimately failed.
    Yes, this is very similar to the Canon FD/FL-> EOS deal. However, other MF lens mounts can be adapted for Alpha/Minolta AF. Like Nikon F lenses.

Canon - now then, they were the bravest of the lot and back when the EOS system was launched they stuck their corporate finger up at every Canon user who had invested in their glass and said 'Sod You' we are going AF and you can't come with us. To be fair it worked and they are now a global leader but it was still a nasty move.
    Yup. But in the realm of manual focus glass, while FD/FL lenses are not compatible, any more than the Minolta MC/MD for the current Alpha mount, Canon's thinner flange-to-sensor distance and larger mount throat actually allow for the most adapting possibilities of all (on APS-C dSLR; the mirrorless compacts are better yet): Nikon F, Leica R, Pentax K, Contax/Yashica, Olympus OM, and M42 are all easily adapted to the Canon EOS mount with simple mechanical rings. You lose AF and aperture control from the body, and obviously, you don't want to do this with autofocusing or Nikon G lenses. But with manual lenses, you have accurate stop-down metering in ALL bodies (even the lowly XS/T3). Ironically, it's easier to use an old pre-AI Nikkor F-mount lens on a T3 than it is on a D3100.

To get a Leica-R lens onto a Nikon body, you have to use a mount replacement kit from Leitax, and they may not have one for the lens you want to use.

Nikon have kept their F Mount since its instigation in 1959 and while I'll admit it has had its changes and compatibility issues it is still the same mount (like Pentax) and if you are a Pro user with legacy Pro lenses you are still going to be a happy bunny.
    Yes. There are advantages: no need for an adapter, and with D300 tier and above bodies, more options for programming EXIF and aperture control with non-CPU lenses. BUT.

You can still be a happy bunny with a Canon dSLR and old manual Nikon F-mount lenses.

FX lense compatibility

FX lense compatibility
    Canon XT. Adapted Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 S (pre-AI version).

Although, personally, I find I'm liking the C/Y Zeiss lenses the most for the 3-d pop.

FX lense compatibility
    Canon 50D. Adapted C/Y Zeiss Planar T* 100/2

Especially since the Planar 100/2 only cost me $700, while a new ZE Makro-Planar 100/2 would be something like $1800.

There's a whole forum on the fredmiranda board about using this kind of crazy gear, and not so strangely, a lot of folks over there shoot Canon. Or multiple systems.
    Last edited by inkista; 29th May 2011 at 11:19 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Now there's a bit of history repeating itself - the very first Canon released had a Nikon lens on it too.

Kwanon

Real Name
    Debasis

thank you black pearl and inkista!! great advice and directions there delighted to know that i can use all FX lenses (with even greater results). so, as i understand, D5100 doesn't have a focus motor and won't focus without SWM in lenses. i'll be a little specific here..i intend to do a lot of low light indoor shooting so i will be aiming at inexpensive normal lenses(like a 50mm). i see the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D at the nikon site below:

http://www.nikon.co.in/productitem.p...106-387119c054

as i see, it's a AF lense, not AF-S. does this mean it doesn't have SWM n won't autofocus on a D5100??

also, i would appreciate if you can guide me with the significant differences between a 550D(rebel t2i) and a D5100 which will affect my photography in long run as i'm an amateur.

thanks again

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by d3b4s1s View Post
    thank you black pearl and inkista!! great advice and directions there delighted to know that i can use all FX lenses (with even greater results). so, as i understand, D5100 doesn't have a focus motor and won't focus without SWM in lenses. i'll be a little specific here..i intend to do a lot of low light indoor shooting so i will be aiming at inexpensive normal lenses(like a 50mm). i see the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D at the nikon site below:

http://www.nikon.co.in/productitem.p...106-387119c054

as i see, it's a AF lense, not AF-S. does this mean it doesn't have SWM n won't autofocus on a D5100??

also, i would appreciate if you can guide me with the significant differences between a 550D(rebel t2i) and a D5100 which will affect my photography in long run as i'm an amateur.

thanks again
    Hi there,

Could you tell us a first name please? I always like to know how to address someone and "d3b4s1s" doesn't really help
    Ideally, please put in your profile against "Real Name", so it comes out like Robin and Kathy's - thanks.

To answer your question, you are correct, the lens you linked to will not AF on a D5100, it is the 50/1.8 D.
    However, there is a (new) 50/1.4 G, which is AF-S, but also sadly (in INR) 5 time the price
    http://www.nikon.co.in/productitem.p...289-fb874890a3

I see there are other AF-S prime options for FX lenses, a 24/1.4 G too, but at huge expense

No-one said photography is cheap

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    Robin

You have two other options:

Hang on a bit and buy the new AF-S 50mm f1.8 G lens Nikon announced a week or so back.

Or

Buy the AF-S 35mm f1.8 G lens which personally I much prefer as it gives the equivalent to a 50mm on the DX bodies. Mine is rarely off the camera these days and as such I can't remember the last time I used my 50mm.

Both about £170-£200.

Real Name
    Debasis

Thank you Dave & Robin! Sorry for the name thing, I'm Debasis from Pune, India (updated the name)

It's a pity for Nikon as a Canon entry level DSLR will autofocus nicely with an equally cheap 50mm. So, now, at double the price of the AF 50mm, my choices are AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G (FX) & AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G (DX) at almost the same price. As the 50mm is a FX, i guess it will give me better upgradability later whereas the 35mm sounds tempting at the same price. However, One more thing that is confusing. This 35mm is listed as a prime lens, isn't 35mm supposed to be wide-angle?

Which one would you recommend? Are the 50mm n the 35mm provide similar results in terms of low light shooting and the blur characteristic effects(I love it)? Is one better than the other? I would appreciate some insight.

Thanks again

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by d3b4s1s View Post
    Thank you Dave & Robin! Sorry for the name thing, I'm Debasis from Pune, India (updated the name)

~ However, One more thing that is confusing. This 35mm is listed as a prime lens, isn't 35mm supposed to be wide-angle?

Which one would you recommend? Are the 50mm n the 35mm provide similar results in terms of low light shooting and the blur characteristic effects(I love it)? Is one better than the other? I would appreciate some insight.
    Hi Debasis,

No worries about the name.

"Prime" just means a 'fixed focal length' lens, i.e. not a zoom.
    "Standard" is possibly the term you are getting confused with, which refers to the angle of view that approxiamates to what looks natural to the human eye. However, that varies with the camera's crop factor 'magnification' effect. On a DX body, 35mm is "standard", by a weird trick of the numbers, on an FX (aka 35mm FF) camera, it is 50mm!

I don't think you'll notice a difference in low light terms, but there may be for bokeh (the quality of out of focus-ness) between them, but I have no personal experience.

All the best,

Real Name
    Debasis

Thanks Guys!!! So, finally I made up my mind and bought the D5100 18-55 Kit I'm happy and excited, and hope I made a good choice. Now coming to lenses, as I understand now, 35mm is standard for DX (as 50mm for FX). So, what is 50mm for DX? Is it also considered standard?

Robin, you suggested to get the AF-S 35mm f1.8 G and also you have been using it all the time. What do you think would be the difference in terms of low light shooting and the bokeh effect between the the upcoming AF-S 50mm f1.8 G and the 35mm?

Thank you

Real Name
    Robin

Low light shooting should be the same as they both have the same f1.8 maximum aperture.

Bokeh...don't know as I've yet to see a test on the new one, the 35mm is good though:

FX lense compatibility

FX lense compatibility

Real Name
    Debasis

Hey Robin & Dave!

Thanks for your great advice. So, I bought the 35mm 1.8 G and I think I love it. Just the right angle (I have tried my hands on a 50mm Canon) and the soft focus with pleasing results.

Posting a shot taken with it. Not sure how good it is photographically, but I like it