Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rainy day thoughts

Real Name
    Dora B

Rainy day thoughts

If we only post the great shots, how will we ever learn new areas?
    Frank, you're right, it is the only way to improve.
    Still raining, so not too many options here.
    Few shots from my backyard- hope that I learned something from Steve.
    Thank you for comments and advice.
    Rainy day thoughts
    Rainy day thoughts
    Rainy day thoughts

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Rainy day thoughts

Hi Dora, thank you for your kind comments.

All three images are beautiful and well composed. I like #3 best because the main subject is completely in focus. In 1 & 2, because of the shape of the stalk, it is very difficult to get all the blossoms in focus at once. I think I would try to get the blossoms more on a plane that is parallel to the lens to get more of them within the DoF. For example, #2 has the center blossoms in focus but the ends appear a bit soft. If I couldn't get them all in focus at once, I think I would get the most interesting end in sharp focus, let the drops of water really sparkle, and let the other end go soft. Your eye will start at the sharpest end, explore the rest of the image, and come back to that sharp point.

Real Name
    Dora B

it is very difficult to get all the blossoms in focus at once.
    Thank you Frank for your advice, I saw that it is something strange with the focus, my question is :
    is it possible to give them some sharpness in PP even if the blossoms are out of focus?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by dulceza View Post
    ...is it possible to give them some sharpness in PP even if the blossoms are out of focus?
    Only to a certain extent, Dora. It is much easier to de-focus a well focused shot than to focus a slightly off-focus shot.

Real Name
    Dora B

Only to a certain extent
    In other words is just like in painting- you don't start to paint if you don't have a good sketch

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by dulceza View Post
    In other words is just like in painting- you don't start to paint if you don't have a good sketch
    A very good analogy.

Dora, photographing flowers is a lot trickier than it seems at first.

A suitable tripod and good lighting are essentials. And by good lighting I don't really mean strong sunlight. A slightly dull day can give better results. But the experts use a selection of lighting equipment similar to a portrait studio.

Then there is the wind rock issue. Even on still days you can get problems so windbreaks are sometimes used for outside photography.

However, for basic shots, I would say; manually focus, consider using a bit of flash if suitable, set a Custom White Balance if colour problems occur (shooting Raw is a good idea). Adjust your tripod to ensure that the lens is absolutely square with the subject, or the area in question.

Use a bit of Exposure Compensation when needed. White areas can be particularly difficult.

Choose a suitable aperture setting. Something around F14 will give better depth but be aware of this causing a confused background and adjust to suit each scene. Always be aware of the background.

Sometimes you may need to trim some leaves or dead/discoloured petals.

And above all else; keep shooting and reviewing the results. Everything will eventually make sense - but then you will move on to more difficult subjects!

Real Name
    Dora B

but then you will move on to more difficult subjects!
    Oh, Geoff but already seems to be a very difficult one :tripod, aperture, wind, white balance.
    Yesterday I was quite happy with my shots (ignorance is a bliss ) I realized that I was out of focus - but I know nothing about manually focus or "a bit of flash" so thank you for bringing me back to earth- I have to read all about it.